FreeNAS 11.2-STABLE Available Now

Discussion in 'FreeBSD and FreeNAS' started by svtkobra7, Dec 5, 2018.

1. svtkobra7

svtkobra7 Active Member

2. azev

azev Active Member

Anyone here tested this new version yet ?

3. svtkobra7

svtkobra7 Active Member

I was on 11.1U6, having installed 11.2RC just to play around with. I just updated to 11.2 on both hosts (you would think I would know better after Corral, but I also think ix takes a quite different perspective when it comes to stable releases now)[1]. No issue so far ...

[1] That being said all ~32 issues (too lazy to check) have been closed on 11.2 STABLE for a number of days now, but they did find a rather material bug related to encrypted pools just today, so who knows?

4. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

5. cliffr

cliffr Member

I'm already on it.

Patrick likes this.
  6. voodooFX

voodooFX Active Member

building a 24bay X10SDV-4C-7TP4F based NAS and this release has come out at perfect timing! :)
    will post some info/photos in the DIY section ;)

7. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

There are definitely still some issues in 11.x, they at least fixed the major one of passwords being limited to 9 characters (no idea what they were thinking).

The issue I filed a month or so ago of freenas kernel panicking on shutdown with a mellanox NIC in LACP is definitely still present, and I get the feeling it will take them months to get around to fixing it: iXsystems & FreeNAS Redmine

There is also some very strange poor performance behavior when using mellanox NICs in active/passive failover LAGGs, that again it seems will take their mellanox dev a long time to get around to

svtkobra7 likes this.
  8. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

To me, this is still the Corral snafu @fohdeesha

FreeNAS reneged on Corral. So they had to re-do a lot of the work.

FreeBSD is a driver mess let's face it. Linux is a step better. Big orgs and embedded can use FreeBSD because they're using standard configs. For when you want to use popular NICs like Mellanox, FreeBSD needs help.

There's a reason FreeNAS popularity on STH is waning.

svtkobra7 and fohdeesha like this.
  9. sovking

sovking Member

FreeNAS is an appliance, FreeBSD is an O.S., some of the bugs you are referring belong to Freenas, no to FreeBSD itself.
    A lot of user (small or big) are using FreeBSD vanilla or its main appliance (pfSense and FreeNAS): probably FreeBSD get more attention from these appliance, but it's mainly a server system and its popularity stays quite steady.

10. svtkobra7

svtkobra7 Active Member

• Agreed - I went to import an encrypted pool on a clean install, no dice in gui, so I reverted to geli attach + zpool import via cli. I nearly $hit a brick when I saw the "restore from backup" message. No user error here, either, I managed to get it imported and all is well again.
    • My statement / question is far from your point, but no problem getting ~33G ESXi <=> ESXi; however, it was a struggle getting FreeNAS <= via VMXNET 3 / Direct Conection => from ~14G to ~19G (MCX354A-FCBT) ...
    • ... Starting with the autotune tunables, then switching it off + some googling, landed me with the below (resulting in that +5G) ...
    • But I'm 100% certain some have no impact / redundant, etc. (thus why I've hidden it in a spoiler => care to share your FreeNAS network config (tunables, etc)?
    Interface Options = mtu 9000 rxcsum rxcsum6 txcsum txcsum6 lro tso

Tunables =

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf = 157,286,400
    kern.ipc.nmbclusters = 13,104,606
    kern.ipc.somaxconn = 4096
    kern.random.harvest.mask = 351

net.inet.tcp.mssdflt = 1448

net.inet.tcp.recvspace = 4,194,304
    net.inet.tcp.sendspace = 4,194,304

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc = 524,288
    net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc = 16,384

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max = 67,108,864
    net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max = 67,108,864

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto = 1
    net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto = 1

• LOL - I'm not sure if I'd go that far (point noted though) ;)
    • But hey at least Corral was pretty ... I don't know what it is about the new UI, but I friggin hate it.
    • I've been looking for a replacement for a moment (OK, not looking so much as thinking about looking) ...
    • ... given some thought to napp-it but never gotten as far as to install / play with
    • Any advice on alternatives (literally just need ZFS and replication, not a single Jail / VM, etc)?
    [​IMG]

11. mackle

mackle Active Member

Being able to boot into current Linux kernels on my Ubuntu vms is a nice benefit of 11.2.

I still have to go through and fix the problems I’m having with the grub loader though. Going through the boot menu and booting from file is getting old.

I’m also not sure why connecting to vms using novnc from my phone causes them to shutdown...