FreeNAS 11.2-STABLE Available Now

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Anyone here tested this new version yet ?
I was on 11.1U6, having installed 11.2RC just to play around with. I just updated to 11.2 on both hosts (you would think I would know better after Corral, but I also think ix takes a quite different perspective when it comes to stable releases now)[1]. No issue so far ...

[1] That being said all ~32 issues (too lazy to check) have been closed on 11.2 STABLE for a number of days now, but they did find a rather material bug related to encrypted pools just today, so who knows?

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
building a 24bay X10SDV-4C-7TP4F based NAS and this release has come out at perfect timing! :)
will post some info/photos in the DIY section ;)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
There are definitely still some issues in 11.x, they at least fixed the major one of passwords being limited to 9 characters (no idea what they were thinking).

The issue I filed a month or so ago of freenas kernel panicking on shutdown with a mellanox NIC in LACP is definitely still present, and I get the feeling it will take them months to get around to fixing it: iXsystems & FreeNAS Redmine

There is also some very strange poor performance behavior when using mellanox NICs in active/passive failover LAGGs, that again it seems will take their mellanox dev a long time to get around to

Reactions: svtkobra7

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
To me, this is still the Corral snafu @fohdeesha

FreeNAS reneged on Corral. So they had to re-do a lot of the work.

FreeBSD is a driver mess let's face it. Linux is a step better. Big orgs and embedded can use FreeBSD because they're using standard configs. For when you want to use popular NICs like Mellanox, FreeBSD needs help.

There's a reason FreeNAS popularity on STH is waning.

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
FreeNAS is an appliance, FreeBSD is an O.S., some of the bugs you are referring belong to Freenas, no to FreeBSD itself.
A lot of user (small or big) are using FreeBSD vanilla or its main appliance (pfSense and FreeNAS): probably FreeBSD get more attention from these appliance, but it's mainly a server system and its popularity stays quite steady.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
There are definitely still some issues in 11.x, they at least fixed the major one of passwords being limited to 9 characters (no idea what they were thinking).
  • Agreed - I went to import an encrypted pool on a clean install, no dice in gui, so I reverted to geli attach + zpool import via cli. I nearly $hit a brick when I saw the "restore from backup" message. No user error here, either, I managed to get it imported and all is well again.
There is also some very strange poor performance behavior when using mellanox NICs in active/passive failover LAGGs, that again it seems will take their mellanox dev a long time to get around to
  • My statement / question is far from your point, but no problem getting ~33G ESXi <=> ESXi; however, it was a struggle getting FreeNAS <= via VMXNET 3 / Direct Conection => from ~14G to ~19G (MCX354A-FCBT) ...
  • ... Starting with the autotune tunables, then switching it off + some googling, landed me with the below (resulting in that +5G) ...
  • But I'm 100% certain some have no impact / redundant, etc. (thus why I've hidden it in a spoiler => care to share your FreeNAS network config (tunables, etc)?
Interface Options = mtu 9000 rxcsum rxcsum6 txcsum txcsum6 lro tso

Tunables =

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf = 157,286,400
kern.ipc.nmbclusters = 13,104,606
kern.ipc.somaxconn = 4096
kern.random.harvest.mask = 351

net.inet.tcp.mssdflt = 1448

net.inet.tcp.recvspace = 4,194,304
net.inet.tcp.sendspace = 4,194,304

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc = 524,288
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc = 16,384

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max = 67,108,864
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max = 67,108,864

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto = 1
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto = 1

To me, this is still the Corral snafu
  • LOL - I'm not sure if I'd go that far (point noted though) ;)
  • But hey at least Corral was pretty ... I don't know what it is about the new UI, but I friggin hate it.
There's a reason FreeNAS popularity on STH is waning.
  • I've been looking for a replacement for a moment (OK, not looking so much as thinking about looking) ...
  • ... given some thought to napp-it but never gotten as far as to install / play with
  • Any advice on alternatives (literally just need ZFS and replication, not a single Jail / VM, etc)?

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Being able to boot into current Linux kernels on my Ubuntu vms is a nice benefit of 11.2.

I still have to go through and fix the problems I’m having with the grub loader though. Going through the boot menu and booting from file is getting old.

I’m also not sure why connecting to vms using novnc from my phone causes them to shutdown...

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
Being able to boot into current Linux kernels on my Ubuntu vms is a nice benefit of 11.2.

I still have to go through and fix the problems I’m having with the grub loader though. Going through the boot menu and booting from file is getting old.
There's a known issue with Byhve's UEFI implementation that prevents Ubuntu/Debian from adding the VM's bootloader to grub. Assuming your EFI partition is at /boot/efi run this grub command in the VM:

Code:
grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable
Which should do it. Then you don't need to manually boot it by selecting the file in the UEFI menu.

Reactions: mackle

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
There's a known issue with Byhve's UEFI implementation that prevents Ubuntu/Debian from adding the VM's bootloader to grub. Assuming your EFI partition is at /boot/efi run this grub command in the VM:

Code:
grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable
Which should do it. Then you don't need to manually boot it by selecting the file in the UEFI menu.
Such has been my technical debt/backlog, and how infrequently I reboot the VM/server, I have only now gotten around to dropping that line of code into the VM... It works a charm and I should have done it sooner.

Of course it takes a dead freenas boot drive to implement all the tasks I should have already (auto-mount network shares, mirrored boot-drives...)