Firefox is chewing through your NAND

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by keybored, Sep 18, 2016.

1. NoSpamSam

NoSpamSam New Member

Would love to hear of any tips for Chrome. My family leaves 10-20 tabs open just about every day, and then walks away from the PC without closing them. (You should see what our Desktop looks like too, but I digress). I have about 1 TBW/day (yes, *1 TB*) to my SSD. Process Monitor shows the following folders are written to almost every second:

c:\users\<my name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\data_n (where "n" is 0 or 1)
    c:\users\<my name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies-journal

2. enigmaxg2

enigmaxg2 New Member

As far as I know, only Firefox has a way to mitigate the problem, so that and the lower resource usage of it makes me to recommend switching to it and dicthing hogChrome.

3. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

4. keybored

keybored Active Member

Wow... 5-10GB per hour is quite a bit. Does look like they fixed it though; they just need to make the update available to everyone now.

5. snadge

snadge New Member

Iam having this issue...Chrome definitley has the problem too - I have used Chrome for about 90% of the 2 years Ive had my 250Gb 850 EVO and I have 32TB written, SSD-life reported 2.5GB of writes in ONE HOUR just researching this issue in Firefox with 5 Tabs open and Cache in RAMdisk

I wonder if ALL browsers are affected if Edge and IE do it... what about Opera or Safari?

6. NoSpamSam

NoSpamSam New Member

The Great Suspender, a Chrome add-on, helps with this problem. If a tab is inactive for a defined amount of time it suspends the tab. My disk activity has gone way, way down after adding this to Chrome.

7. snadge

snadge New Member

does the add-on exist for firefox? just im using RAMdisk for its cache to limit writes, Chrome doesnt work most of the time and reverts to saving the cache on the SSD

8. NoSpamSam

NoSpamSam New Member

Doesn't look like the author wrote a product for Firefox, but bartab and UnloadTab and Suspend Tab are potential options.

9. snadge

snadge New Member

Fix the majority of the problem by using RAMdisk and installing the Portable version of any Browser in RAMdisk, this allows it to have its cache and profile folders in RAM, it also speeds up page-loading (even from SSDs)

I have this issue on all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera), Firefox is most definitely the worst and even changing the interval it still writes excessively when I am using RAMdisk as its cache, I also have Opera Portable installed in & running from the RAMdisk with its cache & profile folder in there too, while the writes are considerably less than Firefox, it still writes to my SSD when I load pages???

If I let it sit idle it gets the odd 60KB spike every 2 seconds or so, if I close the browser(s) and let it settle, it doesn't stop writing too the SSD, but does so much less than having a browser just sitting open... and like I say if I keep clicking link after link in pages (in Opera too, but much less than Firefox) it does constantly write too the SSD even though the cache is not in the SSD (I have verified the RAMdisk cache is working)

Firefox is so bad I've had to stop using it, I've not tried the portable version of Firefox and Chrome as I was quite happy with the massively reduced writes using Opera portable in RAMdisk, now I use circa 7-10GB per day (all day on PC) whereas before all these changes it was 15-20GB (using SSDlife Pro to monitor write usage and task manager to monitor real-time writes to C-drive)

Below is a list of the files that are constantly writing in Windows 10 when the system is idle, these increase when the browser is actively being used even though its installed in RAMdisk with its profile folder in there too, this leads me to believe the spikes caused by browsing use is related to the wifi. (I have correct driver installed)

Unistore
    EVTX
    Datastore.db
    SOFTWARELOG1
    Wifi.etl
    UserNotPresent.etl
    UsrClass.Dat.Log2
    $logfile

I notice on my Windows 7 install it does not write too the SSD at all...!! this seems to be unique to Windows 10, I've even uninstalled Cortana, disabled live tiles, Search, Indexing and loads of other things to try and stop it.

10. AjvarXX

AjvarXX New Member

FYI here is what taking most of the writes in Firefox profile.
    P.S. Notice webappstore files which take huge size of writes? They didn't exist in 2013-th when I listed files which are being rewritten a lot.
    P.P.S. It's funny to read now how back-in-then some baboon-like spitted against this information.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. Akshat

Akshat New Member

What about the writing of data to the profile folder mainly to the sqlite file. Does changing or moving the profile folder location worth or does it affect performance?