Fan setup stuck with CPU fan warning on both sockets

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Hi,

I'm building an 'old' HomeServer with 2 Xeon X5680's on an Intel S5520HC in a NZXT 340 Elite (Mid-Tower).

My problem are the stuck fans from Noctua. These are NF-P12's Redux PWM with a fan speed range of 450rpm tp 1700rpm. The Intel board gives me constant CPU-Fan orange warning light, because the fans trying to run below 900rpm's. Fans always running around 990-1020rpm. Tried to find something in the motherboard-settings to reject this warning, but there is no option. Temps in IDLE are almost at room temperature and max 63C with Prime95 test (Small FFT's > max heat etc).

Is there any other way to run these fans with the PWM ? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Mike

Some pics'

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
On the SuperMicro boards, when I run Noctua's, I have to change the fan thresholds. If you cant change that on the Intel board, they will likely always run at full speed, and give you constant warnings.

Server boards are really designed to run in a datacenter, where noise isnt an issue.

Reactions: Tha_14 and gb00s

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
StevenDTX,

thank you for your quick reply. There are settings in the menu regarding cooling performance and fan acoustics (see below). Seems like I just wasn't patient enough. When I set the values I have to reboot into the OS and have to reboot again, so twice. After the second reboot it takes the new settings and the fans are quiet now. I didn't get it working earlier, because I rebooted after setting the values and entered BIOS again after the first reboot, because the new settings seemed to not work. What a disgrace ;(

Now all is good and fans are running at 600rpm and get louder above 70C only. Did not experience any 100% of the fans with 1700rpm.

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Mike

Reactions: Tha_14