ESXi on ASRock 990FX Xtreme9 non IPMI, Stay or Go?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ntruhan

Feb 10, 2017
Hello,
I built a ESXi Whitebox a little over a year ago that has a ASRock 990FX Xtreme9 AMD motherboard with an AMD 9590FX 8 core processor installed (undervolted), 32GB DDR3 memory, Swiftech Water cooling system and Fractical Quiet Case. This also sits in my office a few feet from my desk. I started with ESXi 5.5 and have upgraded now to 6.5.

It works; however, since the board does not have IPMI, I can't see the CPU Temperatures and fan information, nor do I think VMWare can control it since my fans run constant even with a small load on the system. Since I have 2 top fans with the radiator of the water cooler the quiet case is not as quiet as it could be.

I am nearing the end of my license, it expires on 2/23, for ESXi and vSphere. If I was able to get ESXi/vSphere to be able to see my board properly and control the fan speeds/temps properly it would be a no brainier to stay, but after a while the fans get annoying and I get a mild headache, so I am now contemplating switching to another virtualization system that will read the temperature data properly and also be able to convert my esxi guests over.

So it comes to this, does anyone have a way to get ESXi 6.x to see board specs on non-IPMI systems, some driver, lm_sensors hack? Or is there a good alternative to switch to which will work and accept my ESXi machines to convert? I have heard of XenServer, oVirt and ProxMox, but haven't used them. I used QEmu a LONG time ago for a simple project.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post,
Nathan