ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
What I find very surprising that some sellers on eBay claim that their ES chip is actually QS or OEM just because it's "B" stepping... And how they could know that Intell won't make C,D,E,F stepping chips that will become OEM, Retail ? Is that based on M0 revision ? Is that even relevant ?

Reactions: AxNet

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
I had them running for few days with 4 x 16gb memory on x10drl-i motherboard. It was working great until I added another 4 more sticks. Last dimm slot had issue. I purchased open box motherboard from newegg with cheap price. But I believe that it was the reason that was returned. I don't believe that it was cpu. So I returned the motherboard and getting new one and will be here by tomorrow. I had 2850 scores with cinebench r15 with two cpus.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Thanks for your replies. I agree the QS is a better option to go with.
So how long have u been using this CPU, did u face any issues as of yet?
I might go with this one as well. I would rather go with the choice thats tried and tested that by making my own choice and then regretting the fall out.
Planning on getting two, for my dual mother board.
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRH-CLN4

Have you checked the idle power consumption? Is it too bad as its considered with most E5 cpu's?
I reboot workstation once a month, these QHZDs are rock solid. Yes, they are bit warmer on idle than my old CPU. Only when they hit 60C fans accelerate and stay under 70 C on full load which I tested for a week on room temperature of 24C.

Now just to mention that IBM SAS RAD controller that use IBM PowerPC chip heats up to above 85 C (forums say it's ok) so I really don't worry about Xeon temp.

Also, regarding temperatures and Windows - if you use "performance" settings in power management, windows will raise all your core frequencies to the maximum regardless if windows are idle.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Sellers base their "QS" ES chips if they have the same stepping as a QS or OEM production sample. For example the E5-2630 V4 QK3G is an ES2 but it has the same stepping as a production or QS sample. Other times their QS titles and description is misleading because they are ES1/ES2 and have different steppings than a QS.
Just to confirm: you say that if ES has same stepping as retail then chip is considered QS/OEM and not ES. QDF name doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
So technically all of these E5 CPU's are high on power consumption?
Folks in the US, how does it affect your utilities bill every month for people who are using these high end cpu's at home?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Power consumption is probably the last thing on their mind in the earlier steppings. The QS should be identical to release.

And basically those Xeons have the same power saving functions as desktop CPUs nowadays, so it will depend on many things (platform/board, cards, fans etc). But yes a Dual CPU Xeon 2699 running in a server board with 4 HBAs and 512GB Ram and 36 drives will cost you more per month than the average Skylake board even with a pair of Titan X's churning away - mostly to the fact it will be powered on 24/7 - totally independent of where you live :)

AxNet

Dec 4, 2016
Power consumption worries are overrated, all devices have some power management, even DDR4 sticks have temperature sensors and according bios can slow down. I have tiny UPS of only 800 VA, it never showed it's overloaded mark even when the workstation was on full load, shutting itself down and UPS running on batteries. Also new nVidia cards are very power efficient; in idle mode fans aren't running.

Last edited:

Peter F

Jan 13, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a couple of these Xeon ES CPUs for a dual-socket build.
Do these chips tend to stay at the turbo frequency with adequate cooling? Or will they only boost to the turbo frequency for a short while, whether or not they are warm? Trying to decide if I want more cores or less cores with higher frequencies.

Peter F

Jan 13, 2017

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a couple of these Xeon ES CPUs for a dual-socket build.
Do these chips tend to stay at the turbo frequency with adequate cooling? Or will they only boost to the turbo frequency for a short while, whether or not they are warm? Trying to decide if I want more cores or less cores with higher frequencies.
The single turbo clock speed won't stay long and will be determined by many factors (like how many active cores and temperature). And, it's usually happened when single or two cores need boost. In Windows, you have to set "High performance" at power options to get the speed.

There is all core max speed. With that speed, you can run with the speed all day long with proper cooling. Mine is 2658 v3 QS (2.2Ghz base, 2.9Ghz turbo). It is running at 2.5Ghz on all cores when I performed CPU test. Chips like high end E5-2699 v3 (2.3Ghz base, 3.6Ghz turbo), I believe that it can run up to 3.0Ghz all cores even though the base clock is at 2.3Ghz.

Mine are running at around 30C or less at normal operation and will goes up to < 50C when 100% load. Room temp. is about 23-24C. And, I am using Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 active heatsink.

Peter F

Jan 13, 2017
The single turbo clock speed won't stay long and will be determined by many factors (like how many active cores and temperature). And, it's usually happened when single or two cores need boost. In Windows, you have to set "High performance" at power options to get the speed.

There is all core max speed. With that speed, you can run with the speed all day long with proper cooling. Mine is 2658 v3 QS (2.2Ghz base, 2.9Ghz turbo). It is running at 2.5Ghz on all cores when I performed CPU test. Chips like high end E5-2699 v3 (2.3Ghz base, 3.6Ghz turbo), I believe that it can run up to 3.0Ghz all cores even though the base clock is at 2.3Ghz.

Mine are running at around 30C or less at normal operation and will goes up to < 50C when 100% load. Room temp. is about 23-24C. And, I am using Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 active heatsink.
So it seems like I can expect the all core sustained frequency to be about the average between the base clock and the turbo frequency. Thanks.

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
So it seems like I can expect the all core sustained frequency to be about the average between the base clock and the turbo frequency. Thanks.
Yes, that is my understanding (on my limited knowledge with E5-2658 v3 QS and other thread reading). If I am wrong, someone can correct us.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
What does a M0 stepping mean for a Intel Xeon E5 2658 V3 QS QFSA SR1XV CPU?
Can it be considered close to production?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
What does a M0 stepping mean for a Intel Xeon E5 2658 V3 QS QFSA SR1XV CPU?
Can it be considered close to production?
I just picked up a E5-2568 V4 QS and have had a few hours to test:

Intel Xeon E5-2658 v4 QS 2.3GHz LGA2011-3 14C Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K

So far everything is working perfectly, I have a VM running without complaints and not a single glitch. Not bad for a $400 cpu though I wish it had higher clocks. 2.5Ghz all cores and the highest I've seen it go is 2.8Ghz.

BenchZowner

Nov 16, 2016
Anybody with a 2667 v3 QEYA ES ?

I'm looking for a turbo bins info table.

AIDA64's CPU information module is simply the best tool for the multicore Xeon ES IMHO

I really wish every ebay seller would post a screenshot of this:

BenchZowner

Nov 16, 2016
Based on the fact that the base frequency (non-turbo) is 2.9GHz, it's safe to expect an all cores turbo of base+1 ( 3GHz ), perhaps 3.2GHz on 1-2 cores, and hopefully 4 cores at 3.1GHz which will be fine for Photoshop.