ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
And how to make 200TDP for my processor, I can't find information anywhere. If someone can help I will be grateful!
thanx.
since you are not alone with that 8222(C)L problem i have asked some chineese sellers.
the X11DPH-T supports 205W 1st Gen, but not all 200/205W 2nd Gen processors.
the reason is one of the maximum TDP setting. this is declared much too high as it draws in real, but the motherboard can not know and don't start.
you can buy X11DPi / X11DPH / X11DAi boards at taobao with VRM already upgraded to support 270W, without supermicro warranty but the seller gives you. we can not do anything because we don't know what tools they use and which data they put into the eeprom of the VRM.
in theory we can modify the Intel Management Engine, but that's much more fare away from our knowlege.
sorry for the bad news.

Dimon3D

Jul 27, 2021
since you are not alone with that 8222(C)L problem i have asked some chineese sellers.
the X11DPH-T supports 205W 1st Gen, but not all 200/205W 2nd Gen processors.
the reason is one of the maximum TDP setting. this is declared much too high as it draws in real, but the motherboard can not know and don't start.
you can buy X11DPi / X11DPH / X11DAi boards at taobao with VRM already upgraded to support 270W, without supermicro warranty but the seller gives you. we can not do anything because we don't know what tools they use and which data they put into the eeprom of the VRM.
in theory we can modify the Intel Management Engine, but that's much more fare away from our knowlege.
sorry for the bad news.
When I received the processors, they did not work, the seller said that send the MB to him.
I asked a Chinese processor seller, what does he do with MB? he replied, that he was cleaning the bios))
I also asked to send me the firmware, but he pretends that he does not understand me)))

He sells a regular MB X11DPi for $ 700 and a custom version for $ 1,000. I think $ 300 for the firmware is a lot.
But nothing to do will have to buy.
And if I buy a custom MB, can I read the BIOS to upload it here? or is it not enough?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
And if I buy a custom MB, can I read the BIOS to upload it here? or is it not enough?
the BIOS of the X11DPi blocks 240W TDP CPU in example.
the 8222(C)L is a 200W CPU and is not blocked by BIOS because the BIOS/UEFI is not running at all.
the VRM is not ready for the max. TDP (mis)configuration of the 8222(C)L and many OEM processors.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
He sells a regular MB X11DPi for $ 700 and a custom version for $ 1,000.
i have seen prices: regular ¥ 3600 and custom ¥ 4800 at taobao.
the X11DAi is cheaper. would never buy a X11DPi for higher TDP CPU because the CPU1 VRM stays without heatsink.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I asked a Chinese processor seller, what does he do with MB? he replied, that he was cleaning the bios))
I also asked to send me the firmware, but he pretends that he does not understand me)))
i have the BIOS of a X11SPL-F with 255W TDP support. beleave me, its not the BIOS.
the VRM controller supports a 3 Pin PMBus interface to change Register values(ICC_MAX), you don't need to desolder anything.
another problem i see is about the weak VRM of the X11DPi & X11DAi. why don't you take a ASRock Rack board ?

Last edited:

Dimon3D

Jul 27, 2021
i have the BIOS of a X11SPL-F with 255W TDP support. beleave me, its not the BIOS.
the VRM controller includes a EEPROM with cofiguration tables. you can tell it a bug or something else, an update of these tables is necessary.
the VRM controller supports a 3 Pin PMBus interface to programm the tables, you don't need to desolder anything.
another problem i see is about the weak VRM of the X11DPi & X11DAi. why don't you take a ASRock Rack board ?
unfortunately i had no experience with ASRock. If you are familiar with this brand, please share your experience. thanks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
unfortunately i had no experience with ASRock. If you are familiar with this brand, please share your experience. thanks.
EP2C621D12 WS : better VRM unit. runs OEM high current processors out of the box.
the EPC621D8A supports official the W-3175X (without OC but up to its 255W TDP)

nevee

Jul 29, 2021
RolloZ170 person said:
since you are not alone with that 8222(C)L problem
Yep, sounds like it's me (-;

We talk about this here:

Thanks for RolloZ170 for every suggestion & knowledge by the way.

I'm still waiting for Gigabyte support for any reply like for Asus support. I have two motherboards: Gigabyte C621-WD12 and Asus C621E-SAGE. On both motherboards these CPUs are dropped by the early first stage of motherboard initialization, probably before UEFI BIOS, because both motherboards display catastrophic error signal.
In the meantime I decided to look around and first I read the Intel Xeon Scalable Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1: Electrical: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...ets/2nd-gen-xeon-scalable-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

The interesting part is on page 16 and 17:

The Voltage Identification (VID) specification for the Vccin, VSA, CD_VCC_CORE voltage is defined by the VR13.0 PWM: Server VR Vendor PWM Enabling Specification. The reference voltage or the VID setting is set via the SVID communication bus between the processor and the voltage regulator controller chip. (...) The VR 13.0 Reference Code VID value transmitted Table specifies the reference voltage level corresponding to the VID value transmitted over serial VID. (...). Vout MAX register (30h) is programmed by the processor to set the maximum supported VID code and if the programmed VID code is higher than the VID supported by the VR, then VR will respond with a "not supported" acknowledgment.
Following this information I found that Intel VR13 specifies many models of PWM controllers, like this:
Then I found this model: PXE1610CDN described in manual which is available on the Asus C621E-SAGE.
On infineon site I found information that PXE1610 can be programmed by PowIRCenter:
(Power Center Software - Infineon Technologies)
Download:
(Semiconductor & System Solutions - Infineon Technologies)

and USB005 dongle:
USB005 - Infineon Technologies ($60-$70)

via 3-pin I2C/PMBus as RolloZ170 mentioned earlier.
I do not know if this is all true, these are just my guesses based on conclusions, but maybe someone will find something interesting and we will be able to solve this problem together.
I will try on my side.

Reactions: RolloZ170
D

Deleted member 28354

Which one is this one? LOL. Can't find any specs on it or the equivalent? is a an ES QKGL

Attachments

D

Deleted member 28354

So actually is a Xeon Gold 5118 ES according to my BIOS IMPI. I a managed to downgrade my Supermicro X11SPM-F Micro ATX motherboard to 2.1 from 3.0 in order to see this CPU.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So actually is a Xeon Gold 5118 ES according to my BIOS IMPI.
it is a QS. works with latest BIOS. why downgrade ? (there is at least one complete BOOT/POST required to see the new CPU in the IPMI desk, this data is updated by the BIOS)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28354

it is a QS. works with latest BIOS. why downgrade ? (there is at least one complete BOOT required to see the new CPU in the IPMI desk, this data is updated by the BIOS)
O I see. I need memory to do a complete boot, still waiting on my order. I assumed that 3.0 won't work so I downgraded LOL. O well. Thanks much

nevee

Jul 29, 2021
It's time to update.
I've made some research with other vendor's PWM controllers.
The second popular company producing these controllers is Renesas (Intersil), with their ISL chips like ISL69138 or ISL95712 etc. Here is the USB interface:
Power Navigator Software manual:
Another company that produces mentioned chips is Monolithic Power (MPS) with their MPxxx chips like MP2965 MP2965
The USB programmer can be found here: EVKT-USBI2C-02
And the software: Virtual Bench Pro 4.0

On my Gigabyte C621-WD12 motherboard I've found MP2968.
Today I got package with EVKT-USBI2C-02 programmer ($26 USD).
I'll keep you updated.

Attachments

Reactions: RolloZ170

bron

Sep 10, 2021
Hi all, first time poster.

I have bought some ES CPUs from ebay: QJVX 1.5 Ghz, supposed to be like the Xeon Platinum 8160, and the QL1M which is supposed to be a Xeon Gold 6130. Motherboard is a Supermicro X11DPi-N. I have downgraded the BIOS to 2.0b and even further down, using BIOSes I have found on the Internet. But I still can not make the machine boot with either of these ES CPUs in a single-CPU configuration. The BIOS error is "All channels are disabled due to memory test failures."

I have read here that X11DPi are not compatible with Skylake ES CPUs, but I've seen other reports of people using it with modified BIOS. So, is there a modified BIOS I can use that will allow me to use both of these processors? Or maybe there is a different mobo/BIOS combination that is known to work? I'm happy to pay you, or donate 50 bucks to the EFF or your favorite charity. Thanks!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So, is there a modified BIOS I can use that will allow me to use both of these processors?
on ebay, normaly the seller should provide you the modded BIOS.
for the QL1M(SKL B0) there is a BIOS available, for the QJVX(SKL A2) not.
there are Gold 6130 QS from a ebay(taiwan) seller, production stepping - runs on all motherboards except intel.

bron

Sep 10, 2021
on ebay, normaly the seller should provide you the modded BIOS.
for the QL1M(SKL B0) there is a BIOS available, for the QJVX(SKL A2) not.
there are Gold 6130 QS from a ebay(taiwan) seller, production stepping - runs on all motherboards except intel.
Thanks. I tried asking the sellers for a BIOS but they are useless, they sent me regular Supermicro BIOSes with the same checksum.

Where can I download a modded BIOS that works with QL1M?