ebay Samsung SM863 1.92TB MLC SATA SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

triples

Nov 2, 2019
My question may be stupid but how is there 1.7Pb written on a 3Pbw if there are max 17% of use on it (assuming 83% life remaining) ?
Most endurance ratings are on a specific workload which is usually random not sequential. So if the actual workload was more sequential than random you would get more writes. There are also manufacturing and environmental factors that go into play probably.
To add on that, the PBW is rated by host write which is how much the OS commands to write. The actual remaining life is based on actual NAND P/E. The ratio of NAND/host write is the well known write amplification (WA). Random 4k write on steady-state, with which the PBW is commonly rated as the worst-case senario, has much higher WA than sequential write, because of the need for garbage collection.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Thanks a lot for this input. So If I am right, basically endurance is detailed for worst case scenario (random). using a disk mainly for sequential access will outperform "announced" endurance ?

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
FYI the Seagate XF1230 drive is down to $73. I grabbed one at $80 as well for a dedicated blue iris recording drive in a Lenovo M70q. I only have 4 cameras, so I figured it will last a long time. Mine showed 83% life with Seatools. I wasn't sure how you guys were seeing life remaining since it wouldn't show with Crystal Disk Info, but figured it out. ;)

Last edited:

Jagged

Mar 13, 2017
FYI the Seagate XF1230 drive is down to $73. I grabbed one at $80 as well for a dedicated blue iris recording drive in a Lenovo M70q. I only have 4 cameras, so I figured it will last a long time. Mine showed 83% life with Seatools. I wasn't sure how you guys were seeing life remaining since it wouldn't show with Crystal Disk Info, but figured it out. ;)
That's great info. I've been eying these to build-out a 1u server. I'd like to have larger drives, but the cheapest sata/sas 3.84tb drives I've seen are all like 3x as much.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016

I purchased some of the XF1230, they all have a little over 5 years power on hours, low power cycle count 2x, and 85% or better life left (2x have 100% left). Haven' tested further by putting data on them yet because waiting on other parts.

The % life left does show with CrystalDiskInfo, it is the attribute E7 (231) according to the drive product manual. The "current value" for id E7 should be the % left because I think it is already taking the raw value and converting from hexadecimal. It is vendor/drive specific and CrystalDiskInfo doesn't know which ID to pull for this drive so it doesn't show it at the top like more common/recent consumer drives.