EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by fringfrong, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Dariusz

Dariusz Member

It dont sound correct. Not sure tho what CPUS u have. Check in bios if its declocked to 18x multiplier on CPU or its max. Make sure if u want to set it to Max + turbo boost.

Regards
    Dariusz

2. aido

aido New Member

What doesn't sound correct? It's the 2x E5-2650s in there.

I've maxed out the performance settings in the BIOS and I did change the multiplier to auto and also enabled NUMA for when I drop ESXi on there and that's what all the above figures are from?

I did run a very quick test with SuperPI but wanted to just get it testing in memtest+ as need to pop out shortly.

3. JamesHezzy

JamesHezzy New Member

That's handy to know that the motherboard won't care about fans. I already have a plan in mind for cooling the ram, I'm fortunate enough to have access to a 3d printer so I plan to redesign the ducting across the CPUs and ram to accomodate different coolers as I don't have the system in a rack and likely never will.
    I wasn't expecting the system to draw a considerable amount of power, my old dual x5450 system with 6 fbdimms in used to get by quite happily on a 350w psu. Though this does now give me the opportunity to prove my server isn't driving up the electric bill in my house if I get accused of it ;)

4. Mkvarner

Mkvarner Member

5. JamesHezzy

JamesHezzy New Member

I'm happy with mine so far, I haven't changed the cpu multiplier so it's sat at 1.8ghz, which I'm fine with as I want to keep the temps low for the time being until I change the heatsinks and such to quieten the machine down. The sound from the standard fans won't really notice behind closed doors as it is more high pitched due to the size of the fans and so struggles to penetrate walls and such

Mkvarner likes this.
  6. Mkvarner

Mkvarner Member

Thanks, that sounds good! It will be in a separate room so high pitched fan noise shouldn't really be an issue.

7. aido

aido New Member

Just for reference these 10 pin USB adaptors from Amazon fit the internal USB connector and give another couple of USB ports (they didn't give enough power to run an external USB HDD but seem to run a USB key fine)

10 Pin Motherboard Female Header to Dual USB 2.0 Female: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The USB header on the motherboard is 9 pins - the two last black pins aren't used so the side with two black cables connects to the end with just the 1 pin.

8. Jb boin

Jb boin Member

I did break the server by trying to crossflash a Gigabyte BMC firmware to it using socflash : when plugging the power it was starting for less than a second then shuts off for 2 or 3 seconds then was trying again to boot for less than a sec...

I was able to repair it by short circuiting the BMC flash (a MX25L12845E) pins 2 (VCC) and 7 (Chip Select) then plugging the PSU, it started immediatly (and i could remove the short circuit) then boot and re-flash with the original firmware.

chraac and aido like this.
  9. Dariusz

Dariusz Member

Wow that some amazing ninja stuff! Keep at it if u can update bios to support v2 xeons that would be insane :D

I emailed foxconn for extra bios but they never replied :- (

10. hinch

hinch New Member

well don't know how you managed to get it for that price as using the configuration tool now to match your spec comes in at £435

11. JamesHezzy

JamesHezzy New Member

Server's running great so far, though I have the issue where the server is trying to be too power efficient XD Anyone know if there is a way to get the cpu's to stay at the max multiplier without any load?

12. Jb boin

Jb boin Member

13. JamesHezzy

JamesHezzy New Member

Thank you! I was planning to switch to ubuntu from running windows server 2016 and this pushes me way more to do so as I need the higher clock speed on those 2650's XD

*edit*
    That just reminded me I can change the windows power options to do the same thing,totally forgot that. Still probably going to switch to linux at some point again though

14. Ritte

Ritte New Member

15. Jb boin

Jb boin Member

Just got 2 of those, shouldnt be an issue but i cant confirm yet as i havent got time to rack and plug those.

16. Sable

Sable Active Member

I have a spare quanta left that i got from bh for free. I turned it on once and it works perfectly fine with all os.

Might be of interest for you? I have many processor options available aswell.

17. Ritte

Ritte New Member

Thanks, would appreciate if you could test if it can run a GUI. Have heard about it not being able to do it?

18. Sable

Sable Active Member

(no problem installing linux or ubuntu)

19. Yarik Dot

Yarik Dot Active Member

Has anyone tried ipmi? Would you mind posting printscreens from the web interface? Is IPv6 suppported on ipmi?

20. Mkvarner

Mkvarner Member

Took a few screenshots.

Also, does anybody know if I can flash the BMC on this one to enable RKVM?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    chraac and Yarik Dot like this.