EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
I had success connecting one of the SFP+ cards to a Juniper switch using a Solid-Optics DAC (Direct Attach Cable) and also to a Dell C6220 that has an add-in SFP+ card.

The IPMI login page is branded with an "Avocent" logo on the left and an "Emerson Network Power" logo on the right, once logged it shows :

It doesnt have vKVM functionality (at least not displayed on the interface) and its possible to connect via SSH to the IPMI (with a limited shell).

More informations gathered from the system :

The BMC firmware can be backuped (and should be flashable) using "socflash" :
You seem like you know what you are doing o.o. Do you think there is a way to update bios to support V2 cpus?

On a side note you can also use this for SFP conversion if u want to go down to 1gb 10Gtek® for Cisco GLC-T 1000Base-T SFP Copper Transceiver, RJ45 Connector, 100-meter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
If it doesnt work as is with v2 CPUs there is probably no way to find solution as the BIOS updates for these was not publically released.

The transceiver solution should work, i dont know if this particular model will be compatible.

I just tested and the PXE boot works fine.

Some other informations gathered from the BIOS :
  • The network card has an Intel 82599 chipset
  • The BIOS version is B91PR09B 06/01/2012 14:14:12
  • Its possible to enable/disable VT-d and I/OAT
  • "DCA Support" cannot be changed and is in "Disabled" state on the "Chipset" page
  • DDR3 speed can be set to Auto/800/1066/1333/1600mhz
  • There is an altitude settings on the "Chipset" page with description "The system altitude abose the sea level in meters" !
  • The "Restore AC Power Loss" can only be set to "Random" or "Power On"
  • There are settings to set the FRB-2 Timer which seems to be the "Fault Resilient Booting" level 2 of the BMC : How Fault Resilient Booting (FRB) Works on Intel® Server Boards and...
  • The "Events Log" menu is located on a second page of menu items after the "Save & Exit" menu (i didnt saw it at first)
  • There is no "Monitoring" menu that displays sensors or fan speed (but they are available on the IPMI)

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
If it doesnt work as is with v2 CPUs there is probably no way to find solution as the BIOS updates for these was not publically released.

The transceiver solution should work, i dont know if this particular model will be compatible.

I just tested and the PXE boot works fine.

Some other informations gathered from the BIOS :
  • The network card has an Intel 82599 chipset
  • The BIOS version is B91PR09B 06/01/2012 14:14:12
  • Its possible to enable/disable VT-d and I/OAT
  • "DCA Support" cannot be changed and is in "Disabled" state on the "Chipset" page
  • DDR3 speed can be set to Auto/800/1066/1333/1600mhz
  • There is an altitude settings on the "Chipset" page with description "The system altitude abose the sea level in meters" !
  • The "Restore AC Power Loss" can only be set to "Random" or "Power On"
  • There are settings to set the FRB-2 Timer which seems to be the "Fault Resilient Booting" level 2 of the BMC : How Fault Resilient Booting (FRB) Works on Intel® Server Boards and...
  • The "Events Log" menu is located on a second page of menu items after the "Save & Exit" menu (i didnt saw it at first)
  • There is no "Monitoring" menu that displays sensors or fan speed (but they are available on the IPMI)
Hey

Do you have any manual or info as to how I can set up the remote console or something? I'd like to log in and also see what is there but I never did it and I have no clue where to start, Any startup suggestions?

Regards
Dariusz

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
You can set the network settings from the BIOS (but cannot change the VLAN so if it was not set to the default VLAN you will have to change it using ipmitool).

Or if you have an OS installed, you can use ipmitool to read and change the network parameters.

If its set to the default parameters, its using DHCP to find its IP, is set on the default VLAN and the login/pass is admin/admin (there are 1 or 2 other users enabled that should be disabled after the admin one has been configured).

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting one of these machines to replace my dual x5450 machine, though I do have a couple of questions. The primary one is how loud is this machine when running? Does bargain hardware ship these with the fan shrouds and do the fan speeds change depending on whether or not it has a cover over the top? I'd really appreciate you guys help and if it's possible, would be great if you could upload a short video of this running to give an idea of the noise levels :p

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting one of these machines to replace my dual x5450 machine, though I do have a couple of questions. The primary one is how loud is this machine when running? Does bargain hardware ship these with the fan shrouds and do the fan speeds change depending on whether or not it has a cover over the top? I'd really appreciate you guys help and if it's possible, would be great if you could upload a short video of this running to give an idea of the noise levels :p
Hey

You buy the node. You unplug all the 40mm fans. You buy 2x Silverstone SST-AR07 CPU Cooler - 140 mm - you can get them cheaper.

You then buy extra 120mm quiet fans for ram as it can get hot and then you have silent render node.

Plug and Play.

And yes node control speed of fans and decrease/increase as it needs.

Regards
Dariusz

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Hey

You buy the node. You unplug all the 40mm fans. You buy 2x Silverstone SST-AR07 CPU Cooler - 140 mm - you can get them cheaper.

You then buy extra 120mm quiet fans for ram as it can get hot and then you have silent render node.

Plug and Play.

And yes node control speed of fans and decrease/increase as it needs.

Regards
Dariusz
Of course, I almost forgot it was a 2011 system XD I'm so accustomed to my x5450 system being the awkward 771 socket

But I'm curious of noise levels in its standard form, purely as I am limited by budget somewhat and won't be able to perform the silencing upgrades right away as I'm more likely to plop a pair of AIO Watercoolers on it

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Its loud... as loud as 2U 6100/HP SL nodes. Its 40mm fans... they dont mess aorund :D They are noisy. Just saying that u can cool it down via normal ATX coolers.

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Its loud... as loud as 2U 6100/HP SL nodes. Its 40mm fans... they dont mess aorund :D They are noisy. Just saying that u can cool it down via normal ATX coolers.
Ahh, I'm used to the noise from 2u servers, I have an old dell poweredge 2650 laying about.

Thank you for reminding me it's on a more standard socket though, Much happier to get one knowing I can significantly silence it :)

My next question is, by chance, do you happen to know which form factor motherboard the mounting holes line up with?

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
My next question is, by chance, do you happen to know which form factor motherboard the mounting holes line up with?
Nope not sure... it felt like standard ATX... I think u can plug it in to any case but I'm not 100% sure. Don't take my world for it.

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Nope not sure... it felt like standard ATX... I think u can plug it in to any case but I'm not 100% sure. Don't take my world for it.
Interesting, thank you very much. I'll probably pick one up when I get paid, £215 seems like a bargain haha. I'll try and move my caseless x5450 system on to a new owner :p

Fabien

Feb 20, 2017
Hello,

I just got One e5-2600-foxconn-server with 64GB ram. I confirm that the SFP+ to 1000Base-T converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AW5EHKG/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1 work perfectly. Also I find out some info about jumper / internal connector that may be usefull.

System Configuration Option JP6: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Clear CMOS
System Configuration Option JP7: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Recovery BIOS
System Configuration Option JP4: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Clear passwords
System Configuration Option JP8: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 ME force update mode
System Configuration Option JP5: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 ME in recovery mode
System Configuration Option JP3: 1-2 Force JTAG Bypass of CPU0, 2-3 Normal
System Configuration Option JP2: 1-2 Force JTAG Bypass of CPU1, 2-3 Normal
System Configuration Option JP1: 1-2 CHASSIS COVER IS OPEN (Default), CHASSIS COVER IS CLOSED

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Hello,

I just got One e5-2600-foxconn-server with 64GB ram. I confirm that the SFP+ to 1000Base-T converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AW5EHKG/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1 work perfectly. Also I find out some info about jumper / internal connector that may be usefull.

System Configuration Option JP6: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Clear CMOS
System Configuration Option JP7: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Recovery BIOS
System Configuration Option JP4: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 Clear passwords
System Configuration Option JP8: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 ME force update mode
System Configuration Option JP5: 1-2 Normal, 2-3 ME in recovery mode
System Configuration Option JP3: 1-2 Force JTAG Bypass of CPU0, 2-3 Normal
System Configuration Option JP2: 1-2 Force JTAG Bypass of CPU1, 2-3 Normal
System Configuration Option JP1: 1-2 CHASSIS COVER IS OPEN (Default), CHASSIS COVER IS CLOSED
So glad to hear it works, I have my server arriving tomorrow and that transceiver arrived today :p means I can slot the server nicely into my network :p also, can this server be booted off of USB?

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
So glad to hear it works, I have my server arriving tomorrow and that transceiver arrived today :p means I can slot the server nicely into my network :p also, can this server be booted off of USB?
I network booted it in the end, though it will boot from USB, which is nice. It's not as loud as I was expecting, initial start up is, but the fans do settle down to a more manageable level. My main question now is to mount new heatsinks to this, to further nullify the noise, does the system have independent back plates on the motherboard or does the case act as a backplate for the heatsinks?

Also, when I do add new heatsinks, how does the system manage the fans? I know by default it will very the fan speeds based on system load and temps, but with a more standard fan, will the server be able to be set to 100% fan speed and kept there without it adjusting it? I plan to use a pair of aio watercoolers so having the fan speeds at 100% is very desirable, unless the fans are pwm and then they are in theory at full voltage all the time

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
I network booted it in the end, though it will boot from USB, which is nice. It's not as loud as I was expecting, initial start up is, but the fans do settle down to a more manageable level. My main question now is to mount new heatsinks to this, to further nullify the noise, does the system have independent back plates on the motherboard or does the case act as a backplate for the heatsinks?

Also, when I do add new heatsinks, how does the system manage the fans? I know by default it will very the fan speeds based on system load and temps, but with a more standard fan, will the server be able to be set to 100% fan speed and kept there without it adjusting it? I plan to use a pair of aio watercoolers so having the fan speeds at 100% is very desirable, unless the fans are pwm and then they are in theory at full voltage all the time
Hey

I'm using Silverstone SST-AR07 CPU Cooler - 140 mm silverstone ar07. 1 fan has to be rotated 90 degrees to other one as there is 1mm overlap in heatsinks.

You screw it on the motherboard. Plug and play.
You plug 4 pin PWM fan to motherboard fan socket.

Fan speed up/slow down if its 4 PWM fan .

No custom work. All plug and play :- )

Oh also Coolermaster 212 also works. But I don't like its mouting bracket...

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Hey

I'm using Silverstone SST-AR07 CPU Cooler - 140 mm silverstone ar07. 1 fan has to be rotated 90 degrees to other one as there is 1mm overlap in heatsinks.

You screw it on the motherboard. Plug and play.
You plug 4 pin PWM fan to motherboard fan socket.

Fan speed up/slow down if its 4 PWM fan .

No custom work. All plug and play :- )

Oh also Coolermaster 212 also works. But I don't like its mouting bracket...
Aweseome, so no need to pull the mobo out to change heatsinks? My pure concern with the server adjusting fan speeds it that if I do use a pair of aio watercoolers, I don't want the pump speed to be dropping down on them :p

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Aweseome, so no need to pull the mobo out to change heatsinks? My pure concern with the server adjusting fan speeds it that if I do use a pair of aio watercoolers, I don't want the pump speed to be dropping down on them :p
Mobo control speed of the fans. Not sure if u can configure it to not do it.

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Mobo control speed of the fans. Not sure if u can configure it to not do it.
Hmm, maybe I might have to power it directly off of the PSU and just provide the motherboard with a sensor connection so it thinks a fan is connected

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Hmm, maybe I might have to power it directly off of the PSU and just provide the motherboard with a sensor connection so it thinks a fan is connected
Motharboard don't care about the fans. U can uplug it all. Unless I missed something. But u can get power from ATX> u can use converter Sata> 4 pin > fan pins.

Keep in mind you need to cool ram. Ram gets very hot. It will restart without cooling on ram.

aido

Feb 23, 2017
I just had one of these arrive today (I found this thread today while looking up Purus).

According to my power monitor it's currently using 170w while running memtest and this is on a 64GB box with 16x4GB DIMMs.

It's just running through a memtest+ but I've not seen it pull over 200w yet (it's sitting between 150-170w depending on the test), it was sitting between 110w and 150w after it booted to Windows on the HDD I'd inserted and that's with everything in high performance mode (BIOS and OS).

Just waiting for memtest+ to complete then going to scratch it and rebuild with ESXi - I'm tempted to order another and use them as vSAN nodes - for now I'm going to introduce it to the existing vSAN cluster at home and see how it goes :)

Network wise I'm using the same 10Gtek transceiver linked to earlier and a TPLink USB adapter.

Not sure if it's been stated on here but although it has two SFP+ ports on the front only one is physically connected to the motherboard via a header.

BIOS wise mine is running a slightly newer version than mentioned earlier and is B91PR10B and dated the 30/10/2012 - still well before the launch of the E5 v2 range so no change in support.