EU Dual E5-2600 Foxconn Server £250

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
I just had one of these arrive today (I found this thread today while looking up Purus).

According to my power monitor it's currently using 170w while running memtest and this is on a 64GB box with 16x4GB DIMMs.

It's just running through a memtest+ but I've not seen it pull over 200w yet (it's sitting between 150-170w depending on the test), it was sitting between 110w and 150w after it booted to Windows on the HDD I'd inserted and that's with everything in high performance mode (BIOS and OS).

Just waiting for memtest+ to complete then going to scratch it and rebuild with ESXi - I'm tempted to order another and use them as vSAN nodes - for now I'm going to introduce it to the existing vSAN cluster at home and see how it goes :)

Network wise I'm using the same 10Gtek transceiver linked to earlier and a TPLink USB adapter.

Not sure if it's been stated on here but although it has two SFP+ ports on the front only one is physically connected to the motherboard via a header.

BIOS wise mine is running a slightly newer version than mentioned earlier and is B91PR10B and dated the 30/10/2012 - still well before the launch of the E5 v2 range so no change in support.
It dont sound correct. Not sure tho what CPUS u have. Check in bios if its declocked to 18x multiplier on CPU or its max. Make sure if u want to set it to Max + turbo boost.

Regards
Dariusz

aido

Feb 23, 2017
What doesn't sound correct? It's the 2x E5-2650s in there.

I've maxed out the performance settings in the BIOS and I did change the multiplier to auto and also enabled NUMA for when I drop ESXi on there and that's what all the above figures are from?

I did run a very quick test with SuperPI but wanted to just get it testing in memtest+ as need to pop out shortly.

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Motharboard don't care about the fans. U can uplug it all. Unless I missed something. But u can get power from ATX> u can use converter Sata> 4 pin > fan pins.

Keep in mind you need to cool ram. Ram gets very hot. It will restart without cooling on ram.
That's handy to know that the motherboard won't care about fans. I already have a plan in mind for cooling the ram, I'm fortunate enough to have access to a 3d printer so I plan to redesign the ducting across the CPUs and ram to accomodate different coolers as I don't have the system in a rack and likely never will.
I just had one of these arrive today (I found this thread today while looking up Purus).

According to my power monitor it's currently using 170w while running memtest and this is on a 64GB box with 16x4GB DIMMs.

It's just running through a memtest+ but I've not seen it pull over 200w yet (it's sitting between 150-170w depending on the test), it was sitting between 110w and 150w after it booted to Windows on the HDD I'd inserted and that's with everything in high performance mode (BIOS and OS).

Just waiting for memtest+ to complete then going to scratch it and rebuild with ESXi - I'm tempted to order another and use them as vSAN nodes - for now I'm going to introduce it to the existing vSAN cluster at home and see how it goes :)

Network wise I'm using the same 10Gtek transceiver linked to earlier and a TPLink USB adapter.

Not sure if it's been stated on here but although it has two SFP+ ports on the front only one is physically connected to the motherboard via a header.

BIOS wise mine is running a slightly newer version than mentioned earlier and is B91PR10B and dated the 30/10/2012 - still well before the launch of the E5 v2 range so no change in support.
I wasn't expecting the system to draw a considerable amount of power, my old dual x5450 system with 6 fbdimms in used to get by quite happily on a 350w psu. Though this does now give me the opportunity to prove my server isn't driving up the electric bill in my house if I get accused of it ;)

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Does anybody have this version and can say anything about noise? Just ordered one and I'm hoping I didn't screw up. I know it is 1U with 40mm fans so that can obviously be a problem.

Quanta Cheap E5-2600 (LGA 2011) Sixteen Core Cloud Server (Configure-To-Order)
I'm happy with mine so far, I haven't changed the cpu multiplier so it's sat at 1.8ghz, which I'm fine with as I want to keep the temps low for the time being until I change the heatsinks and such to quieten the machine down. The sound from the standard fans won't really notice behind closed doors as it is more high pitched due to the size of the fans and so struggles to penetrate walls and such

Reactions: Mkvarner

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
Thanks, that sounds good! It will be in a separate room so high pitched fan noise shouldn't really be an issue.

aido

Feb 23, 2017
Just for reference these 10 pin USB adaptors from Amazon fit the internal USB connector and give another couple of USB ports (they didn't give enough power to run an external USB HDD but seem to run a USB key fine)

10 Pin Motherboard Female Header to Dual USB 2.0 Female: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The USB header on the motherboard is 9 pins - the two last black pins aren't used so the side with two black cables connects to the end with just the 1 pin.

Jb boin

May 26, 2016
Grenoble, France
www.phpnet.org
I did break the server by trying to crossflash a Gigabyte BMC firmware to it using socflash : when plugging the power it was starting for less than a second then shuts off for 2 or 3 seconds then was trying again to boot for less than a sec...

I was able to repair it by short circuiting the BMC flash (a MX25L12845E) pins 2 (VCC) and 7 (Chip Select) then plugging the PSU, it started immediatly (and i could remove the short circuit) then boot and re-flash with the original firmware.

Reactions: chraac and aido

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
I did break the server by trying to crossflash a Gigabyte BMC firmware to it using socflash : when plugging the power it was starting for less than a second then shuts off for 2 or 3 seconds then was trying again to boot for less than a sec...

I was able to repair it by short circuiting the BMC flash (a MX25L12845E) pins 2 (VCC) and 7 (Chip Select) then plugging the PSU, it started immediatly (and i could remove the short circuit) then boot and re-flash with the original firmware.
Wow that some amazing ninja stuff! Keep at it if u can update bios to support v2 xeons that would be insane :D

I emailed foxconn for extra bios but they never replied :- (

hinch

Jul 22, 2016
well don't know how you managed to get it for that price as using the configuration tool now to match your spec comes in at £435

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
Server's running great so far, though I have the issue where the server is trying to be too power efficient XD Anyone know if there is a way to get the cpu's to stay at the max multiplier without any load?

JamesHezzy

Feb 17, 2017
If you are under Linux you can change the governor and/or tweak its parameters : HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling - Debian Wiki
Thank you! I was planning to switch to ubuntu from running windows server 2016 and this pushes me way more to do so as I need the higher clock speed on those 2650's XD

*edit*
That just reminded me I can change the windows power options to do the same thing,totally forgot that. Still probably going to switch to linux at some point again though

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
I have a spare quanta left that i got from bh for free. I turned it on once and it works perfectly fine with all os.

Might be of interest for you? I have many processor options available aswell.

Ritte

May 18, 2017
Just got 2 of those, shouldnt be an issue but i cant confirm yet as i havent got time to rack and plug those.
Thanks, would appreciate if you could test if it can run a GUI. Have heard about it not being able to do it?

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Has anyone tried ipmi? Would you mind posting printscreens from the web interface? Is IPv6 suppported on ipmi?

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
Took a few screenshots.

Also, does anybody know if I can flash the BMC on this one to enable RKVM?

Attachments

Last edited: