Dell Wyse 3040 $35 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
Im assuming guys using these aren't running a hypvervisor at home already? Seems silly to have such a low power, dedicated unit that is severely limited on what it can do... but obviously 5x cheaper and 2-3x smaller than a SuperMicro 2558 build... so don't take my comments as being negative, I'm learning what ultra-low-power things you can run on them :)

If anyone else wants to share what they plan to run i'm really curious !!! share !! :D
6 necessary *arrs, syncthing and pihole on minimal debian.

Reactions: Samir

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
I received a 12v power supply and a 5v Wyse 3040. I have scores of 12v power supplies, 5v not so much. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue without excessive hassle.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I received a 12v power supply and a 5v Wyse 3040. I have scores of 12v power supplies, 5v not so much. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue without excessive hassle.
You should plug it in and blow it up to teach them a lesson.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Im assuming guys using these aren't running a hypvervisor at home already? Seems silly to have such a low power, dedicated unit that is severely limited on what it can do... but obviously 5x cheaper and 2-3x smaller than a SuperMicro 2558 build... so don't take my comments as being negative, I'm learning what ultra-low-power things you can run on them :)
If you mean a C2558 i think they will take it with a smile and perhaps a small chuckle, considering how that is also a severely limited low power unit :)

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
The barrels aren't physically compatible, not that I would willfully destroy something even if they had requested a return of anything.

They've indicated they are sending "the correct model". I'm not clear if they're sending a 5v PS, a 12v 3040, or a matching pair...

Reactions: Samir and Rain

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The barrels aren't physically compatible, not that I would willfully destroy something even if they had requested a return of anything.

They've indicated they are sending "the correct model". I'm not clear if they're sending a 5v PS, a 12v 3040, or a matching pair...
Well, if you did blow it up there's no way they could blame you. Sending the wrong psu with a product is a serious mistake.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Might be wishful thinking, but all 3 would be nice. :D

Reactions: Rain

Rain

May 13, 2013
That's interesting. Is the 12v adapter you received Dell-branded with a Dell part number? I've seen reports elsewhere that the barrel connectors are the same. For example, this thread on the Dell Community forums: Re: Wyse 3040 power supply voltage?

Accidents happen. @ArthurA wouldn't benefit by breaking the device before returning it, nor would it teach the seller a lesson any more than the eBay claim already did (clearly they understood the issue as they're sending out a replacement). Being a jerk rarely gets you anything beneficial.

Reactions: NachoCDN and Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That's interesting. Is the 12v adapter you received Dell-branded with a Dell part number? I've seen reports elsewhere that the barrel connectors are the same. For example, this thread on the Dell Community forums: Re: Wyse 3040 power supply voltage?

Accidents happen. @ArthurA wouldn't benefit by breaking the device before returning it, nor would it teach the seller a lesson any more than the eBay claim already did (clearly they understood the issue as they're sending out a replacement). Being a jerk rarely gets you anything beneficial.
Yea, just turn the other cheek so you can walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling. Far too many eBay sellers are scumbags who will take advantage of any buyer who takes the moral high road. When you let something like this pass you're doing a disservice to the next sucker ....err buyer who comes along.

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
Yea, just turn the other cheek so you can walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling. Far too many eBay sellers are scumbags who will take advantage of any buyer who takes the moral high road. When you let something like this pass you're doing a disservice to the next sucker ....err buyer who comes along.
When one of my units wouldn't turn on they sent another one no questions asked. They didn't require me to return the other unit.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I totally agree with you on sellers that seem to be gaming the system, but I think in this case it's a bit more of an honest mistake since the plug size didn't even match--obvious someone grabbed the wrong power supply (and someone else out there probably has a 5v one that doesn't fit).

We're human so mistakes can happen, but those scumbags that hide behind this to sucker people and abuse the system--yes, totally mess them up if possible.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine arrived and it boots into OEM Configuration user mode. Seller did not provide password. I tried to load DietPI on it but for some reason it won't boot the USB drive even tho it sees it and will allow me set it as boot option 1. I get a message saying "boot option not found?" Is there sxome magic trick to installing an OS on a EMMC ?

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
Mine arrived and it boots into OEM Configuration user mode. Seller did not provide password. I tried to load DietPI on it but for some reason it won't boot the USB drive even tho it sees it and will allow me set it as boot option 1. I get a message saying "boot option not found?" Is there sxome magic trick to installing an OS on a EMMC ?
I didn't run into any issues with installing dietpi on my units, but I can send you an image of the dell bios config for booting if that would help! probably happen late tonight.

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I didn't run into any issues with installing dietpi on my units, but I can send you an image of the dell bios config for booting if that would help! probably happen late tonight.
Please do and thanks. Just tried to upgrade to the newest Mint but it was a no go. Think the drive is too small for that to work.

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
Mine wouldn't boot with a DietPi USB directly, but if I put Ventoy on the USB with a DietPi ISO, it worked fine, and installed fine to the eMMC.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I booted a Linux Mint DVD and nuked the HD. I then burned DietPI to a DVD and it installed without problems. Now how can I tell if it's working?

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
For the BIOS password, try 'Fireport' - that's the default for a lot of Wyse machines (that's what it was on mine, which I purchased as "BIOS Locked").

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
All of mine have had a password protected bios. To fix this I had to open it up and hold the PWCLR1 button while powering it up. It will display message on the screen that the password has been cleared.

To install DietPi I used the Native PC UEFI installer instructions. While booting I hit F12 and selected the USB to boot from.