Dell Wyse 3040 $35 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. I've got DietPi and Pi-Hole installed but when I try to log into Pi-Hole I'm getting "Connection Refused". Any ideas?

Reactions: Samir

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
Thanks. I've got DietPi and Pi-Hole installed but when I try to log into Pi-Hole I'm getting "Connection Refused". Any ideas?
Did you copy the password Pihole provided when you installed it? Or did you set your own password with this command
Code:
pihole -a -p [password]

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Did you copy the password Pihole provided when you installed it? Or did you set your own password with this command
Code:
pihole -a -p [password]
I copied the password but not making it to the login screen. Gonna mess with it some more tomorrow. Today has been consumed.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The problem apparently resolved itself. After awhile I was able to access the login screen and successfully log in. So now I'm up and running. I've been wanting Pi-Hole for a long time and now I have it.

EIT: I'd also like to add that it appears this little box is designed to radiate the heat only out the top, all other sides are sealed. Hope it doesn't melt down this summer.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's interesting. Is the 12v adapter you received Dell-branded with a Dell part number? I've seen reports elsewhere that the barrel connectors are the same. For example, this thread on the Dell Community forums: Re: Wyse 3040 power supply voltage?
I just took a look at this thread and see that I actually posted an answer there a year ago, lol.

My friend at parkytowers also reiterates the 5v/12v issue and there seemed to be two different ones that are functionally the same, unless it is somehow tied to the 16GB or 8GB flash: Specification and hardware description of the Wyse 3040 (N10D) Thin Client

aeg

May 6, 2019
I tried to put a Keystone 1086 battery holder inside but it is too thick to fit. I had to replace the battery like-for-like. The connector is JST SH series. I reused the original harness but lost a bit of length by cutting it. So I added another 4 inches of wire to allow for future replacements.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Reactions: Samir and NachoCDN

aeg

May 6, 2019
For reboot and power off to work in Debian 12 (Bookworm), I created a file /etc/modprobe.d/no_hsuart_dma.conf and ran sudo update-initramfs -u. The file should contain the following:

Code:
blacklist dw_dmac_core
install dw_dmac /bin/true
install dw_dmac_core /bin/true
Before I did this, initiating a reboot or power off from the OS would result in the system staying powered on, frozen with a blank screen. After the above change, it works as expected.

In my testing under Debian, CPU frequency and network throughput are the same whether or not a display is attached. However, there was an unconfirmed report in the OpenWrt forum that under OpenWrt 22.03.4, the CPU and network will be throttled if the unit is powered on without something connected to the DisplayPort. I haven't done any testing in OpenWrt to confirm or deny.