Dell Wyse 3040 $35 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
I offered $25 each for 2 of these Wyse 3040s. And it was accepted. They include the power supply.

Updated with the current eBay link

Last edited:
Reactions: abq and Samir

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
what are you doing with them? not exactly much resources avail

Reactions: Samir

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
Picked up two at $25 each. This is well into 'cheaper than a Raspberry Pi' territory. I will probably throw Daphile on them and make them cheap music streamers.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Im assuming guys using these aren't running a hypvervisor at home already? Seems silly to have such a low power, dedicated unit that is severely limited on what it can do... but obviously 5x cheaper and 2-3x smaller than a SuperMicro 2558 build... so don't take my comments as being negative, I'm learning what ultra-low-power things you can run on them :)

If anyone else wants to share what they plan to run i'm really curious !!! share !! :D

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah, they're not powerful, but more than powerful enough to sling bits around...

On our last 5+ hour road trip to see my folks, I had one of these with a 2TB portable drive running a Plex server plus a travel WAP in our van....then direct-streamed to the tablet we have mounted in the back seat for the kids (they're not quite old enough to handle the whole Plex UI just yet, but my oldest is getting close). Way easier than trying to sync content from Plex to the tablet's SD card for offline viewing.

Oh, and I found a 12V UPS on Amazon that I used with a 12v->5v regulator to power it and the WAP, so it didn't get abruptly shut off when we stopped for lunch or whatnot.

Reactions: adman_c and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The best way I could see to use these is as thin clients where you want a computer, but don't. You can simply remote into a VM running somewhere else and have a full blown experience. Kinda like they were originally meant for. ;)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The best way I could see to use these is as thin clients where you want a computer, but don't. You can simply remote into a VM running somewhere else and have a full blown experience. Kinda like they were originally meant for. ;)
Yeah, I did that a few years ago.. cool novelty w\out a real purpose (for me) lol
I ended up going with the SFF \ mini-PCs and have really enjoyed those. (Again 5x cost of these, ha, but still relatively cheap for a whole pc)

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
These computers fit very well applications where Raspbery Pi could be used. You wouldn't use RPi to run a huge storage sever with 10G network interfaces (unless you do it for lolz), but they work very well in various home automation projects, or other tasks with small demands for computational power. This computer is a perfect candidate for an octopi or klipper host for your printer, I use Atomic Pi with an identical CPU to run LinuxCNC to control a small mill.
The best part: it can be cheaper than any of the popular ARM-based boards, especially if you can negotiate the price down when buying multiple units.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
These computers fit very well applications where Raspbery Pi could be used. You wouldn't use RPi to run a huge storage sever with 10G network interfaces (unless you do it for lolz), but they work very well in various home automation projects, or other tasks with small demands for computational power. This computer is a perfect candidate for an octopi or klipper host for your printer, I use Atomic Pi with an identical CPU to run LinuxCNC to control a small mill.
The best part: it can be cheaper than any of the popular ARM-based boards, especially if you can negotiate the price down when buying multiple units.
Very cool linuxcnc usage! I have a mill with DROs I'd be interested in looking into that more! Did you "DIY" the entire thing, or buy a kit that's based on linuxCNC?