Dell Wyse 3040 $35 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah, I did that a few years ago.. cool novelty w\out a real purpose (for me) lol
I ended up going with the SFF \ mini-PCs and have really enjoyed those. (Again 5x cost of these, ha, but still relatively cheap for a whole pc)
Yeah even cheap thin clients can't hold a candle to those USFF machines--except in power usage, but they're not powerful so they don't use much power! lol!

Bbolt

Dec 19, 2021
I have some of these and use DietPi and also OpenWRT. Cheap compared to a RPi (if you can find one) when you consider fully boxed with Power Supply. It is covered elsewhere, but I found that Linux boot doesn't like the 3040 serial port. For installs I use the grub edit function to remove all references to the serial port on the linux boot string. After install, edit the boot string in the grub.cfg or update-grub config file to fix it permanently. This page has some useful info including the default BIOS password: Install a New Linux OS On a Dell Wyse 3040

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
One of mine wouldn't power on. They are sending a replacement.

I found that the CMOS batteries are dead in mine. Trying to find reasonably priced replacements. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Reactions: Samir

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

I found that the CMOS batteries are dead in mine. Trying to find reasonably priced replacements. Does anybody have any recommendations?
If you get any batteries from amazon be sure and check the dates on them, I've gotten old ones.

I usually get them from Costco if I can.

Abe87

Feb 12, 2019
These don't take a normal CMOS battery. There is a couple of wires with a molex type connector on the end. Here is an example.

Seems like this isn't a standard molex connector. The space between the pins in the connector can vary. I think the Wyse 3040 needs one with a 1mm gap.

Was hoping someone had replaced theirs before. Don't really want to spend $11 on a CMOS battery for a computer I spent $25 on.

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
These don't take a normal CMOS battery. There is a couple of wires with a molex type connector on the end. Here is an example.

Seems like this isn't a standard molex connector. The space between the pins in the connector can vary. I think the Wyse 3040 needs one with a 1mm gap.

Was hoping someone had replaced theirs before. Don't really want to spend $11 on a CMOS battery for a computer I spent $25 on.
If you have the old battery, cut the heatshrink on the battery, take a picture of the wires and the old battery to have a reference for later, write down which wire goes to which terminal, remove the heatshrink from the battery terminals, and detach the wires.
Get a 2032 battery with terminals (e.g. like this: https://www.amazon.com/EEMB-Lithium-Battery-Rechargeable-Replacement/dp/B0823SX8ZR), or a battery holder (e.g. like this: https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-CR2032-Battery-Storage-Container/dp/B0B7MFV6D1) and a battery, solder the wires with the connector to the battery, or to the wires from the holder.
Make sure that the positive and negative wires are not swapped. Reversing them will kill the board. Use the notes and the picture to double-check that you did not make a mistake.
Do not try to solder wires directly to the battery. It can explode.
Insulate the splices with electrical tape or heatshrink tube, insulate the battery if you don't use a holder, and you should be good to go.

aeg

May 6, 2019
The photo in your link looks like a Molex PicoBlade with 1.25mm spacing. Then again, it also says "lithium ion" but the battery is actually lithium manganese, so who knows.

Edit: it's a JST SH, 1.0mm spacing.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

If they're the standard 2032 (or whatever the number is), IKEA used to have a pack of 8 for $2. They probably won't have them at this price again, but the batteries were good and I've used them in at least 8 systems by now.

Reactions: NachoCDN

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

I'd check digikey and mouser for these. Should be able to find something there that's legit.

Reactions: NachoCDN

Bbolt

Dec 19, 2021
I cut the shrink plastic off, peeled the spot weld tabs off the dead battery without damaging the wires and connector. I taped the battery tabs onto a standard cell with foil tape and then wrapped the whole battery in a layer of electrical tape. Has worked for about a year so far...

• Love
Reactions: Abe87 and Samir

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I don't need this... I have two to three old Pi's sitting on the side of my bench collecting dust.

But for $35 this seems to be a good deal. Talk me into this. I have a pi as a wifi audio+apple dac for a stereo receiver. I have pi's and other thin clients sitting around idle... Don't need, kinda want, afraid it will sit on the side with the other stack of things

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
Talk me into this....Don't need, kinda want, afraid it will sit on the side with the other stack of things
I like to think of this as more of a journey.. getting to mess around with the hardware and learning new things. you could always resell the devices if you wanted :)

Rain

May 13, 2013
I don't need this... I have two to three old Pi's sitting on the side of my bench collecting dust.

But for $35 this seems to be a good deal. Talk me into this. I have a pi as a wifi audio+apple dac for a stereo receiver. I have pi's and other thin clients sitting around idle... Don't need, kinda want, afraid it will sit on the side with the other stack of things
I'm in the same boat with Pi's sitting and doing nothing though I also already have a few Wyse 3040s that are not currently in use as well.

What I like about the Wyse 3040 compared to Pi's, though, is that it isn't just a bare board. The Wyse 3040 (and similar mini x86 PCs/thin-clients) generally feel less "janky" to me than a Pi, USB Power adapter, Pi case, ect. Nothing extra is needed.

I wouldn't go out of my way to replace a Pi you have deployed with a 3040, but if you want a slightly cleaner setup it's certainty a great option.

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
i haven't picked up the 3040's i've ordered, but has anyone installed dietpi on the devices you ordered? wondering if you needed to use an external USB key, or could target the built-in storage...

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I like to think of this as more of a journey.. getting to mess around with the hardware and learning new things. you could always resell the devices if you wanted :)
I'm tempted to get 5 of the terminals to use as "compute" nodes in a toy Open Stack cluster to learn the technology. Of course I could use VMs, but having real hardware to curse at when things don't work feels much more satisfying.

• Haha
Reactions: vvkvvk and Samir

aeg

May 6, 2019
Received my 3 units. All were the 5V version. One each manufactured in 2017, 2018, 2019. The two newer units powered up but the older one did not. The batteries in the good units measured 3V and the bad unit measured 0V. I disconnected the battery and applied 3V to the connector and then it powered up when I pressed the button. All three units completed one pass of Memtest86+ booted from a thumb drive, as well as the built in diagnostics accessed from the F12 boot menu.

Unlike most thin clients and mini PCs, these things are EFI only. I tried to PXE boot a legacy BIOS image and it got as far as downloading the image before deciding it didn't want to execute it.

ahtoh

Oct 20, 2016
received mine, the power button is broken and plastic piece was floating inside
the battery was dead, will return it