Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty AUG 2020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I believe this to be true as well; at least that's been my experience dealing with dell warranty, which I do every week. A system and its parts are covered. The parts are under the umbrella of the server though, not individual.
I suspect these are generic drives that someone put in Dell (or Dell-style - there are Chinese clones available) caddys. Note the lack of:
  • Drive type/capacity label on the front of the caddy (all caddys pre-loaded by Dell have these)
  • No "Enterprise Class" starburst logo visible on drive label (Dell does this on all of their rack server drives)
  • No "DPN" (Dell Part Number) marking on drive label (Dell does this on all drives, server or desktop)

Reactions: T_Minus

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
He also has them without the caddy, on a a different store front in same area, others seem to have same items, but his price is best. Looking at these other options there is a QR code on the back side of the drive, in the same place, have seen dell PN with QR code..Worth a shot though...

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Lurker here. Would 2 of these be good or overkill for mirrored SSD VM store running under esxi (superdom boot to esxi, planning on omnios zfs NAS as one of the VMs). Or would they be better for slog/Zil? Or would nvme be better for slog/Zil? Or do I even care about slog/Zil since my NAS will mostly be read only media storage though I will also be streaming recording lots of HD cameras (10-20 1080p/2k HD cams via blueiris) but I don't care if they blip and lose data for those cams upon power loss. I just don't want to lose my media array (movies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Lurker here. Would 2 of these be good or overkill for mirrored SSD VM store running under esxi (superdom boot to esxi, planning on omnios zfs NAS as one of the VMs). Or would they be better for slog/Zil? Or would nvme be better for slog/Zil? Or do I even care about slog/Zil since my NAS will mostly be read only media storage though I will also be streaming recording lots of HD cameras (10-20 1080p/2k HD cams via blueiris) but I don't care if they blip and lose data for those cams upon power loss. I just don't want to lose my media array (movies).

All of the above.

Fast and reliable. Use them anywhere that you are ok with the price for. I don't think you will get much using them as ZIL for mirrored SSDs.

Got a few extras since I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
All of the above.

Fast and reliable. Use them anywhere that you are ok with the price for. I don't think you will get much using them as ZIL for mirrored SSDs.

Got a few extras since I'm sure I'll find a use for them.
lol I paid almost $800 for a 512GB crucial m4 SSD back in 2011. I also remember back when the first 1 GIGABYTE platter drives cost $1000. This stuff is helluva cheap now.

Paul Roland

Jul 10, 2015
Can anyone who got these paste an mart report or something?
They don't look like Dell SSDs to me, may still be Intel retail of course.
I am curious if somebody post some findings if they have it in hand

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I offered 165 x 2. Waiting for a response

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
If he accepts this or counters close it would be interesting. It would mean his price expectations have shifted downward a lot from when I was talking to him at the start of the sale. I don't think he had any sold at the time.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
what makes these SSDs worth $0.50/GB when other SSDs seem to hit lower per GB?
These drives are fast! Much faster than consumer SSD's for writes that uses the ATA_CMD_FLUSH command often, for example SQL Databases (even SQLite), ZIL(most people will not need a dedicated ZIL anyway) or Ceph. They also have excellent read performance. Another thing is that these drives can be overwritten like a million times which makes them excellent for Ceph cache, BCache or just a cache for any block device out there. Using 2-4 of these together with the 20-22 450GB 10k 2.5" drives can give you several TB's of lightning fast storage.

Reactions: Boddy

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Hello all,

I did a little research (I actually put in a bid and the second counter offer stands at $165 from the seller for 18) after getting a counter offer from the seller and found the following:

For $255 New:
Intel DC S3710 400 GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - SATA - 1 Pack - SSDSC2BA400G401

For $410 New:
SSDSC2BA400G401 Intel DC S3710 Series 400GB 2.5 inch SATA3 Solid State Drive (MLC) - SSD Solid State Drives - SuperBiiz.com

And from what looks from the same seller $300 New:
New Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty 2020

The two top listings being Intel retail, not the same drive through dell.

My question is are these drives being "dumped", perhaps in favor of a newer, less costly model. I'm just trying to avoid buyers remorse two weeks from now.

Please, don't get me wrong, I am not saying the drive at this price point is not a very good value and likely worth every penny for an enterprise drive. My point is I just don't to find next month that newer drives (assume equal or better) are available for $5 dollars more using the above information as an indicator.

Any thoughts?

With that said I will likely pull the trigger, but the other listings just made me pause and wonder.

Thanks

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If he accepts this or counters close it would be interesting. It would mean his price expectations have shifted downward a lot from when I was talking to him at the start of the sale. I don't think he had any sold at the time.
Seller countered with 175 x 2

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
What tax? Where do you live that you get hit with a $113 tax on a $340 purchase...?

Norway has 25% tax on both item and shipping cost... But this retails around $750 each in Norway, and I figured even at $225 this is a good deal.

Now the problem is figuring out what to use them for :)

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
That is not the only problem. For us the USD is now 50% more expensive than it was a few years ago... Thats worse :)