Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Have you had confirmation they still had stock. I have had around 20 units from then and was told the last three that arrived last week were the last they had. They are also not advertising them on EBay any more.

I suspect their website has not been updated but it would be great to hear they have got some more in.
RimBlock,

The Server Store is at 1236.00 for what I paid $650 for!
Anyone who wants this configuration should reach out to Loddy at ESISO sma@esiso.com.
Oh, and if you think you underspent send the $586 extra you would have paid to me! Ill put it to good use! :D

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
RimBlock,

The Server Store is at 1236.00 for what I paid $650 for!
Anyone who wants this configuration should reach out to Loddy at ESISO sma@esiso.com.
Oh, and if you think you underspent send the $586 extra you would have paid to me! Ill put it to good use! :D
Since I am shopping for a C6100 right now, I just had them quote the exact same configuration and was quoted $1250. Guess I will keep looking.

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
I purchased a XS23-TY3 with the following configuration:
(1) 3.5" Chassis
(2) 1100W P/S & Cords
(1) Rails
(4) 250GB 3.5" SATA
(8) Empty 3.5" Sleds
(4) Nodes with:
(2) L5520 CPU's
(6) 4GB 1066 RDIMM's
For $650.00 (Including Shipping)
ESISO was great to work wit as I had an issue with one of the nodes which was shorting out against the chassis.
I sent them a picture depicting the issue and they shipped me out a replacement bare bone node the next day.
I have not been able to find anyone that would even come close to matching this deal! Closest was around 800 and Dell Outlet was around $8K for the same setup! (Ridiculous!!!!)
How old was that quote? They just quoted me $1050 today for the same exact details. Funny how the prices have "gone up" LOL. A lot of these systems have been sitting in warehouses.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
How old was that quote? They just quoted me $1050 today for the same exact details. Funny how the prices have "gone up" LOL. A lot of these systems have been sitting in warehouses.
Even funnier they quoted me $1250 today, so their prices are apparently luck of the draw since you were quoted $200 less.

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Even funnier they quoted me $1250 today, so their prices are apparently luck of the draw since you were quoted $200 less.
Yeah - that's too funny. I asked for almost word for word exactly what was posted above. I just made it more clear on 24GB per node, etc. I left the HDD's and everything in the request, even though I don't need them.

seanhood

Jan 14, 2014
Newbie here looking to join the C6100. Any idea what shipping would cost to get one sent from the US to UK? Finding out that the UK eBay seller only has the XS23-TY sucks.

And another question, I plan to run one node as a storage server with 6x 2TB (6x ST2000DM001 + IBM M1015) in RaidZ2 however which OS would be best? I'm currently running Ubuntu with ZoL, in a ESXi VM on a DL360G5, but thinking either Solaris or some flavour of BSD would be a better option

If anyone is running a similar setup what read/writes do you get?

HaleBob

Jan 14, 2014
Yeah - that's too funny. I asked for almost word for word exactly what was posted above. I just made it more clear on 24GB per node, etc. I left the HDD's and everything in the request, even though I don't need them.
I got a different quote as well :)
But more interesting for me, I asked if their servers are "standard" or custom built datacenter editions, and unfortunately was told they only have custom built ones :(
So I guess that makes it a gambling game...

OTOH: at first she didn't know what I meant and after explaining it, she said they are custom built.
So it might be a misunderstanding there. :confused:

EDIT:
Just confirmed they only have custom built ones. They know
ESISO said:
Cause we try to update the bios.
:(

Last edited:

yaazer

Jan 15, 2014
ESISO quoted me $1050 for the following:
2 PSUs
6 Empty drive trays and 6 blanks.
4 Nodes, each with
6 x 4 GB Memory
2 x L5520 CPUs
Rails

Basically the same setup as mentioned but no drives

They feel really inconsistent with their quotes.

HaleBob

Jan 14, 2014
ESISO quoted me $1050 for the following:
2 PSUs
6 Empty drive trays and 6 blanks.
4 Nodes, each with
6 x 4 GB Memory
2 x L5520 CPUs
Rails

Basically the same setup as mentioned but no drives

They feel really inconsistent with their quotes.
That makes me wonder if they are also inconsistent with other information.
Has anyone asked if their nodes are DCS or standard nodes?

I'd really like to get one, but stay away from DCS if possible.

Last edited:

mkschaps

Jan 16, 2014
If I wanted to use one node as a iscsi target, would it be worth going with the QDR or Infiniband DDR over normal Fiber connection?

Last edited:

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
That makes me wonder if they are also inconsistent with other information.
Has anyone asked if their nodes are DCS or standard nodes?

I'd really like to get one, but stay away from DCS if possible.
The one I got from them is a DCS with 1.04 bmc firmware and a similarly ancient BIOS.

yaazer

Jan 15, 2014
The one I got from them is a DCS with 1.04 bmc firmware and a similarly ancient BIOS.
Does this mean we can't update the BIOS. I remember reading around somewhere that firmware and BIOS is locked out.

If that is the case, do we have any leads on another source for a C6100? I don't want to buy a locked down model that will give me trouble later on.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
Purchased the unit back in end of November/beginning of December...
I have done some work with another vendor and they did say memory prices are up, but that is a substantial price jump!

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
I got a different quote as well :)
But more interesting for me, I asked if their servers are "standard" or custom built datacenter editions, and unfortunately was told they only have custom built ones :(
So I guess that makes it a gambling game...

OTOH: at first she didn't know what I meant and after explaining it, she said they are custom built.
So it might be a misunderstanding there. :confused:

EDIT:
Just confirmed they only have custom built ones. They know
:(
I would definitely say there is a bit of a language barrier to work with...
The unit I got was the Gen 1 XS23-TY3 which does not have the cutouts in the node carrier for the mezz card, but I have been able to fully update the Firmware on all nodes.
IT was a real pain to do so as I had to make a bootable USB stick with all the firmware on it and then install. I did it in a stepped fassion where I applied each version of the update for the BMC and BIOS. No updates for the version 16 Fan Control are available.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
If I wanted to use one node as a iscsi target, would it be worth going with the QDR or Infiniband DDR over normal Fiber connection?
The faster your network the better! with Infiniband you will need a switch which will push up your cost.
But I am running a Win2012R2 iSCSI server over the standard 1Gb port and hosting storage for 2 physical and 4 nested ESXi servers which have VM's running on them.
What I will tell you is to stay away from SATA if possible!

yaazer

Jan 15, 2014
WScott66: Did you get the DCS model? I'm very wary of getting it as I want to be able to flash the newest firmware on this box.

If you did and you were able to flash the firmware, would you be willing to educate me on what process you used?

Let me know!