Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mkschaps

Jan 16, 2014
The faster your network the better! with Infiniband you will need a switch which will push up your cost.
But I am running a Win2012R2 iSCSI server over the standard 1Gb port and hosting storage for 2 physical and 4 nested ESXi servers which have VM's running on them.
What I will tell you is to stay away from SATA if possible!
We decided to go with dual 10GB SFP cards, hopefully this will give us the performance we need. I just ordered my server, now waiting for it to come in.

mkschaps

Jan 16, 2014
Where did you order it from? What did you pay?
I bought it from a guy on Ebay, not sure if he wants to be named or not. If you are interested I can let him know.

C6100 3.5 Chassis (4 x motherboards and 1 power supply)
32GB Ram
8 L5520 CPUs
8 Heat sink
1 power supply
1 LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i (DPN 03NDP)
1 Fanout cable
12 drive trays
1 Rails
2 1 meter SFP+ twinax cables
2 10 Gigabit SFP+ Dual Port (DPN TCK99)

Total= $1600

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
I would definitely say there is a bit of a language barrier to work with...
The unit I got was the Gen 1 XS23-TY3 which does not have the cutouts in the node carrier for the mezz card, but I have been able to fully update the Firmware on all nodes.
IT was a real pain to do so as I had to make a bootable USB stick with all the firmware on it and then install. I did it in a stepped fassion where I applied each version of the update for the BMC and BIOS. No updates for the version 16 Fan Control are available.
I have one DCS and one normal C6100. YMMV but both updated to the latest firmware fine.

I posted a link to the guide i used somewhere earlier on this thread but i used a FreeDOS USB boot stick to do so and went straight to the latest versions. It was a calculated risk with the DCS nodes as i had 4 in a C6100 and one spare node i brought as a barebones spare. So if i bricked one i was only out the barebones node and wouldnt have done the others.

Edit: Upgrading Dell C6100 BIOS | Copy Error (aka Altered Realms)

Only issue i ran into was that i couldnt update the Fan controller firmware. That was actually on my normal C6100 not the DCS one. It had an older Fan controller.

I only upgrade to standardise my nodes as i was upgrading to L5639's on 3 of them and that required the update and i wanted to have all nodes on the same firmware in case i needed to swap things out in future. No upgrade of CPUs and i wouldnt have updated the firmware.

Last edited:

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Picked up a C6100 XS23-TY3 3.5" chassis with 8x L5520s, 24GB of RAM per node and 4 drive sleds tonight for $400! Found it on Craigslist and emailed the guy for 10 days before he finally responded, he had the email going to an email address he never checks. He was asking $500 and all I did was ask what he had to have for it and he threw out the $400 figure. Feel a little guilty, but I am extremely happy with it. It is complete overkill for my needs but I couldn't say no to it.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
WScott66: Did you get the DCS model? I'm very wary of getting it as I want to be able to flash the newest firmware on this box.

If you did and you were able to flash the firmware, would you be willing to educate me on what process you used?

Let me know!
So, Maybe I did... I spoke to Loddy(ESISO) and she said all they have presently are DCS, and she wasn't able to tell me if my unit was any different. How do you tell if they are DCS?

What I can tell you is that my BIOS and BMC were both version 1.04 and with some due diligence I upgraded them both using a bootable USB stick to the latest version. I ran through every version available on the Dell Support site, and "NONE" of my units are bricked.

The biggest issue with the unit for me is that it does not have the mezz cutout so I am not able to purchase the network cards unless I want to cut the carriers to support.

roehm81

Jan 20, 2014
question for you guys. I was reading into these servers and had a question I was not able to find through Data sheets. Can the 6100 run 3.5 7200 4TB drives? I know the 6200 can.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
question for you guys. I was reading into these servers and had a question I was not able to find through Data sheets. Can the 6100 run 3.5 7200 4TB drives? I know the 6200 can.
Yes! Have installed 2 in my iSCSI Node along with the 250.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
I know I read on this forum somewhere about this question, but can't seem to find it. Will the SAS Mezz card accept 4tb drives. I finally got around to dropping 4 x 4tb drives in my 6100, but they show up as 2tb drives. Does a firmware upgrade fix this? If so, does Patrick's live cd LSI update work with the mezz card?

Thanks for the answer. Just don't feel like wasting my time if its a lost cause.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I know I read on this forum somewhere about this question, but can't seem to find it. Will the SAS Mezz card accept 4tb drives. I finally got around to dropping 4 x 4tb drives in my 6100, but they show up as 2tb drives. Does a firmware upgrade fix this? If so, does Patrick's live cd LSI update work with the mezz card?

Thanks for the answer. Just don't feel like wasting my time if its a lost cause.
The LSISAS2008 version of the mezzanine card does. It's the one with the heatsink.

HaleBob

Jan 14, 2014
So, Maybe I did... I spoke to Loddy(ESISO) and she said all they have presently are DCS, and she wasn't able to tell me if my unit was any different. How do you tell if they are DCS?

What I can tell you is that my BIOS and BMC were both version 1.04 and with some due diligence I upgraded them both using a bootable USB stick to the latest version. I ran through every version available on the Dell Support site, and "NONE" of my units are bricked.

The biggest issue with the unit for me is that it does not have the mezz cutout so I am not able to purchase the network cards unless I want to cut the carriers to support.
The number one reason I am hesitant about getting a DCS model is that it seems that iKVM may not work.
After that, processor capability with a newer BIOS.

I don't care about a louder fan, because the server will sit in its own room in the basement.
And if the nodes have a mezzaninie card slot the cutout could be done manually.
I think I read someone did it with a dremel. That wouldn't be a problem.

So basically I am asking does your iKVM work?
If so, I might reconsider getting one from ESISO if there is not some major thing I am missing.

Last edited:

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
The number one reason I am hesitant about getting a DCS model is that it seems that iKVM may not work.
After that, processor capability with a newer BIOS.

I don't care about a louder fan, because the server will sit in its own room in the basement.
And if the nodes have a mezzaninie card slot the cutout could be done manually.
I think I read someone did it with a dremel. That wouldn't be a problem.

So basically I am asking does your iKVM work?
If so, I might reconsider getting one from ESISO if there is not some major thing I am missing.
I have a DCS node from ESISO, I did the bios upgrades and I run L5630's in my nodes.

Additionally, I've had no issues with iKVM...I use it all the time as my rack is located outside of the house.

The mezz slosts don't have cutouts, but like you mentioned you can dremel those out. I currently have the mezz slots on my servers loaded with the 1068e card so I can run SAS drives.

Krazos

Jun 6, 2013
Sweden
What good CPUs can you recommend for the C6100 with 3.0+ Ghz clock?

I dont know much about serverprocessors, but I read that the C6100 supports 55xx och 56xx, does this mean ALL processors that has 55xx/56xx?

What does the letter before 55xx mean? I see some with E, X and W (W55xx).

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
What good CPUs can you recommend for the C6100 with 3.0+ Ghz clock?

I dont know much about serverprocessors, but I read that the C6100 supports 55xx och 56xx, does this mean ALL processors that has 55xx/56xx?

What does the letter before 55xx mean? I see some with E, X and W (W55xx).
Yes, any 55xx or 56xx series processor should work.

E: Enterprise
X: Xtreme
W: Workstation
L: Low Power

(these may not be the exact meaning as I have not recently looked up the Intel official documentation but should be close enough ;) ).

RB