CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
Thanks for the replies.
Would either of you be able to tell me your model/ BIOS version?
Variation A
N200
ADLN 0.01 x64, 04/04/2023

>> but I can't get the second SSD running, it can be seen in the BIOS, but Proxmox doesn't see it.

I've only very briefly used Proxmox, but it looks like there's some manual steps required to make additional storage available in Proxmox - could this be your issue?

Otherwise I suggest contacting your seller, as apparently these boards caused some issues during development:

shanestorey

May 9, 2023
NZ
Variation A
N200
ADLN 0.01 x64, 04/04/2023

>> but I can't get the second SSD running, it can be seen in the BIOS, but Proxmox doesn't see it.

I've only very briefly used Proxmox, but it looks like there's some manual steps required to make additional storage available in Proxmox - could this be your issue?

Otherwise I suggest contacting your seller, as apparently these boards caused some issues during development:
That's the same BIOS version as mine, think I will try clearing the BIOS and see if that helps

I haven't had any issues adding drives in the past, I haven't had to do anything extra. Looking through the how to, the drive doesn't show using the lsblk command, so fails at that point.

Peacecamper

May 23, 2023
I don't want to open a new thread for this, but what do you think about all these N100 mini pcs with dual nics that are available on Amazon? I don't need four nics and I would prefer Amazon over Aliexpress if I ever ran into warranty issues.
The specs look good and the nics are i225v. So are these worse than the 4 nics boxes that are discussed here?

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
I don't want to open a new thread for this, but what do you think about all these N100 mini pcs with dual nics that are available on Amazon? I don't need four nics and I would prefer Amazon over Aliexpress if I ever ran into warranty issues.
The specs look good and the nics are i225v. So are these worse than the 4 nics boxes that are discussed here?
I wouldn't say worse, just different? The one you linked to has a fan - some people value the fanless design of the CWWK/Topton units. Has two HDMI instead of HDMI+DP. Doesn't have a second m.2 slot (but has built in wifi). It's also using DDR4 whereas CWWK/Topton is DDR5. (N100 supports both)

Reactions: Peacecamper

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I would say they are a lower budget version. I don't think anyone has tested one for performance but it does look pretty poor in comparison to the ones this thread is related to. Slower RAM, less M.2 slots and the one it has is 1x only.
With the i225, these can be OK but they need to be a later revision as the earlier ones had issues.
The price difference would not be enough for me to consider it.

miro123

Apr 25, 2023
It seems to be mismach with the link that yo send.
1. processor in unclear for me. descrition says 12-gen N100 - i see option with N5105 an G5 - what is G5
2. further processor descrtion - " Mini PC equips with AMD Intel 12th N100(turbo frequency 3.4GHz, 4 cores 4 threads). " - again more confusion
3. only Gigabit not 2,5 - where do you find that this is I 225V?
==============
Botm line - many confusion in item description

Peacecamper

May 23, 2023
It seems to be mismach with the link that yo send.
1. processor in unclear for me. descrition says 12-gen N100 - i see option with N5105 an G5 - what is G5
2. further processor descrtion - " Mini PC equips with AMD Intel 12th N100(turbo frequency 3.4GHz, 4 cores 4 threads). " - again more confusion
3. only Gigabit not 2,5 - where do you find that this is I 225V?
==============
Botm line - many confusion in item description
I was referring to the G5 16 + 500 model, which has an N100, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 500 GB SSD an 2 i225-V.

bhigh

Oct 5, 2016
The biggest concern for most people is that the system is not fanless.

I ordered a different small N100 box, but as a K8s node and not for use as a router. It’s got Realtek NICs and a fan. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005076549630.html

There are other similar boxes “ZX01 Plus” with the N100 but only 12GB. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005557223835.html

I already have a similar system ”ZX01” based on the 5105 with 8GB and an i225. The fan doesn’t run at idle or low load. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001921619318.html

Some sellers have a similar system “ZX01 Pro” with 2*1Gbps as well. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004591000158.html

nva

Aug 19, 2018
I got my 5-port N100 variant arrived today from CWWK store on Tmall. I bought it via a service similar to Superbuy but operates only in my country (also in Asia). Total cost of unit and shipping to my door is around 155 USD. For domestic Chinese market, CWWK sells these at cheaper price than they do internationally via Aliexpress.

The chassis is the same with Variant A of the 4-port model instead of variant C with bigger heat sink. There's small 60x10mm fan inside the RAM and SSD compartment but i never seen it spinning.

Thermal paste looked good. But since i already opened it I cleaned up and repasted with MX4 anyway.

Package came with external, USB-powered 120x20mm fan.

The unit runs hotter than I expected even though I was just configuring Opnsense and it's not hooked into network.

I'm planning to downsize my homelab from 12U rack to few compact desktop hardware and NAS (space is premium in an apartment at center of a typically crowded Asian city). This N100 unit will replace Supermicro 1U appliance with C3558 board and 10GbE card. I think it's a downgrade but it was never pushing 10G anyway.

Edit: i'm also looking for 10-inch rack like this one on Amazon. I'm sure that small cabinet came from China, so if anyone know how to find it on taobao/Tmall... please send me a link. I'm sure it's somewhere on these marketplaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and lucker

Veeaye

Jun 19, 2023
Hey everyone-

I picked up a Topton with N305 from ali express. I’m trying to get proxmox going to utilize OPNsense and ideally a host of other virtualizations - Pi-hole, home assistant, Guac maybe, who knows... but mostly the proxmox and OPNsense are my current goals.

I followed Becks ‘wrap up’ to get past the VGA issue for the GUI installer, but after install the machine goes into boot loops. I understand I need to get the 6.2 kernel installed to eliminate many of the compatibility issues but unfortunately, after install I get immediate boot loops and can never update kernel. Anyone have any suggestions for how I can get loaded in and be able to install the updated kernel? Would be nice if proxmox had an ISO that had the 6.2 kernel but I know it’s a lot for them to keep up with.

I have 32gb crucial 4800 and intel p670 2TB SSD installed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

ohm

Jun 10, 2023
Hey everyone-

I picked up a Topton with N305 from ali express. I’m trying to get proxmox going to utilize OPNsense and ideally a host of other virtualizations - Pi-hole, home assistant, Guac maybe, who knows... but mostly the proxmox and OPNsense are my current goals.

I followed Becks ‘wrap up’ to get past the VGA issue for the GUI installer, but after install the machine goes into boot loops. I understand I need to get the 6.2 kernel installed to eliminate many of the compatibility issues but unfortunately, after install I get immediate boot loops and can never update kernel. Anyone have any suggestions for how I can get loaded in and be able to install the updated kernel? Would be nice if proxmox had an ISO that had the 6.2 kernel but I know it’s a lot for them to keep up with.

I have 32gb crucial 4800 and intel p670 2TB SSD installed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
I did a clean install of PVE 8(Beta 1) that came with 6.2 kernel. Stable so far.

B0rg

Jun 14, 2023
Can someone tell me how to disable the BEEP sound on boot? I cant find a option in de bios for it.

Woodiwiss

Jun 22, 2023
Hi,

Has anyone tried getting pci passthrough working on these? I'm looking to setup opnsense running on proxmox, then passing through some of network controllers but can't find any options in bios for vt-d.

Thanks for any advise

ohm

Jun 10, 2023
Hi,

Has anyone tried getting pci passthrough working on these? I'm looking to setup opnsense running on proxmox, then passing through some of network controllers but can't find any options in bios for vt-d.

Thanks for any advise
I don't recall any specific option to turn on vt-d in bios, there is only one option to enable virtualization(was it vt-x or something). I have pci passthrough working on opnsense on proxmox. Needed to enable intel IOMMU in proxmox first:

Reactions: SiVisPacem