CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

famzilla

Mar 1, 2024
mmm, I don’t have a temperature reader that I can point at it. Does an nvme drive expose temperature through sensors or s-tui command? NVME drive I used is from Lexar.

The bottom of the case (where the nvme drive is) is cooler than the top though and cpu temps are around 65-70 degrees while stress testing so within limits…
You can do a smartctl command in terminal to get the temperature of the nvme drive. Might have to install the package beforehand depending on the distro. For example:

>#smartctl -a /dev/nvme0

Reactions: Whatever

Don Dong

Jan 5, 2024
Hi folks,

I have the 4 port N305 version of CWWK with the adapter board for 4x NVME disks. I have Proxmox running with several VM's and for example the 4 NVME's are passed through to one VM. This also works wonderfully. Now I am trying to pass a WIFI card to another VM, but this is failing. As soon as I try to start this VM it crashes. If I try an NVME disk in the same slot instead of the Wifi M2 card, it works without problems. I have also tested a second Wifi card with the same result.

The following note appears in the Proxmox log:
unable to change power state from d3cold to d0 device inaccessible

Are there any BIOS settings that I need to adjust here?

Last edited:

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Hi folks,

I have the 4 port N305 version of CWWK with the adapter board for 4x NVME disks. I have Proxmox running with several VM's and for example the 4 NVME's are passed through to one VM. This also works wonderfully. Now I am trying to pass a WIFI card to another VM, but this is failing. As soon as I try to start this VM it crashes. If I try an NVME disk in the same slot instead of the Wifi M2 card, it works without problems. I have also tested a second Wifi card with the same result.

The following note appears in the Proxmox log:
unable to change power state from d3cold to d0 device inaccessible

Are there any BIOS settings that I need to adjust here?
Not sure about the VM or proxmox issue but is your wifi card working normally in bare metal mode and say under Linux ubuntu or windows and is it mini pcie slot?

Many of the N5xxx and Nxxx series mini routers be it from topton or cwwk regardless of 4 or 6 port have made their mini pcie wifi slots USB only, so it only works with 3g/4g or usb wifi cards.

I had a similar issue few weeks ago and couldn't understand why several wifi cards were not working or getting detected on my cwwk or topton units, it was only until someone on openwrt forums spotted the these wifi slots are usb only. Had to get an nvme m2 to mini pcie adapter to get my wifi card detected in end.

Another idea maybe, remove all the other nvme/sata drives sometimes using up all your pci lanes can stop the wifi card or entire slot from not working. You maybe able to temporary boot off an usb stick.

SMN

Dec 12, 2023
Hey, just wanted to post my experiences with a N100 from Topton.

I bought mine as a second proxmox node. The unit does everything i want: Virtual opnSense, iGPU passthough for jellyfin HW encoding and running other small VMs.
BUT the unit keeps crashing after ~ 5 - 8 Days. This is a big problem as a router. Even though i am using proxmox HA to reboot the VMs on the other node. Does anyone else experience frequent crashes with this device?

I tried multiple differend SSD configurations so far. Also temps are not an issue, since i ran the case half open with a fan directed onto it, so ssd and CPU temps were always in check.

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022

I bought mine as a second proxmox node. The unit does everything i want: Virtual opnSense, iGPU passthough for jellyfin HW encoding and running other small VMs.
BUT the unit keeps crashing after ~ 5 - 8 Days. This is a big problem as a router. Even though i am using proxmox HA to reboot the VMs on the other node. Does anyone else experience frequent crashes with this device?

I tried multiple differend SSD configurations so far. Also temps are not an issue, since i ran the case half open with a fan directed onto it, so ssd and CPU temps were always in check.
Which memory module? What does a memory test of 24hrs show?

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023

Have you ran a stress test? If it shuts off during a stress test and every other test comes out fine, you might have an issue with the supplies power adapter.

I learned that the ones supplied may have issues. I posted a few months ago about my experience. To sum it up, memtest was failing (hard reboot) on a specific test for me until I changed the power adapter.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
does anybody know if the cpu/sys fan plugs on the motherboard are 12v or 5v?
While I don't know for sure, I don't see why they would be anything other than the standard 12V fan connectors. Did you see anything somewhere to suggest otherwise? :)

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Don't do this. Liquid metal thermal compounds are typically gallium-based and gallium will corrode aluminum. If any of it drips/leaks onto the aluminum chassis it will break it down.
Yeah, there is a reason that any device that is using liquid metal has a way to catch spills. Another method is to conformal coat the entire PCB a couple of times and then only use coppar heatsinks. If I'm not mistaken, it will also react with coppar slightly, but not anywhere close to quickly it will completely destroy aluminum.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Now I'm tempted to check my PC and the server to see in what places I used liquid metal and how do the surfaces look after a year or two.

I did buy a tube of Noctua NT-H2 though and will use that.

ExplodingLemur

Jul 4, 2023
Seattle
Does anyone know if there's a hardware watchdog in the X86-P5 v1 (CW-ADLNT-1C2L)? Mine is running the BIOS build from September 7 2023, I haven't yet tracked down any watchdog settings in there.

ayams02

Apr 15, 2022
Hi all. I would like to buy my first of this kind of mini pc for my homelab. It will mainly for Kubernetes labbing. I compiled my findings here.

My main considerations are:
  1. Beikong 1215U
    • cheaper vs N305 and 8505
    • performs better(?) vs N305 and 8505
    • fan
    • only have 1x m2 nvme
  2. CWWK 8505
    • dual channel vs N305
    • CWWK seems more popular in STH
Is the Beikong good for the price? Does anyone have any experience with Beikong hardware? However just from it looks it seems it has the same design as CWWK.

Other suggestions are also welcomed!

Last edited:

c0nnected

Feb 23, 2024
Anyone have beelink eq12 with n100 and 4tb nvme? Does it work? As from what I'm finding online there might be problem with that capacity