CSE-846 Upgrade SAS2 to SAS3 Backplane Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SOULV1CE

Jul 24, 2022
I hope this is the right forum to ask this question, I'm not sure.

I am in the process of buying a CSE-846 chassis w/ drive trays only and BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane for $300.
I am potentially interested in upgrading the backplane to BPN-SAS3-846EL1 for the right price as the seller can pull from a CSE-847 chassis for the swap.

My questions:
  • As long as the backplane itself is functional, there should be no issue with using the SAS3 backplane in the 846 chassis, correct?
  • My setup currently consists of 10 HDDs and 5 SATA SSDs w/ 3 more to be added soon.
    I know that I won't utilize it to the fullest at the moment but is it a worthwhile upgrade for me?

I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited:

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
One advantage to the SAS3 backplane is that it will support 96Gbps between the HBA and the backplane for SAS, and 48Gbps for SATA. Even at 48Gbps, that's 200MB/sec for each of the 24 bays. If you end up with 16 hard disks and 8 SSD, you'd likely be able to run 150MB/sec and 300MB/sec on the spinners and SSDs, all at the same time.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
that's now how databolt works with sas3 hba/raid controllers and sas3 expanders...
As far as I have been told, if you use dual-ported SAS disks, that allows you to use the full 48Gbps, as some disks can communicate over each cable.