CPU Selection - MooseFS (MASTER Server)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Is there somebody who has experience with CPU selection in a MooseFS MASTER server in a 40G/100G environment?

MASTER server processes are single-threaded and core count does not matter as such. Therefore I would like to know from your experience how single-thread performance of a CPU scales with the overall performance of the filesystem. Are Xeon W-2125 and Platinums 8256 (~2500-2600 rating) still good enough for a MASTER or would a Xeon W-1350 (~3500 rating) overall performance improve significantly? I'm just looking at Xeons as MASTER servers require ECC, not mandatory, due to metadata held in the ram.

The question is related to MASTER server only. I'm also not interested in any comparison to Ceph or GlusterFS or anything else.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
1682103303917.png
The higher IPC and clock rate, the better performance.

From your question - i would ask if anything else is running there, and how stressed it is. Are you capable of keeping it cool (W-1350)?

W-2125 v W-1350 -

1350 wins in terms of cores, max turbo clocks ~5% better performance (by 500MHz, realistically around 400MHz),
cache size at this point would be irrelevant upgrade,
memory speed potentially could help latency by 5-10ish%.
Lower base frequency will hurt in some cases - unless its being run to boost all cores all the time - else you are going to be loosing few ms before clocks spin up.
It looses in memory throughput by half -5% ish in some cases it can be much more - depends how metadata is being utilized.

I don't think its going to be a significant upgrade for single threaded application.
Most realistically its going to be 6-10% boost for your process, but in some cases it may actually be slower.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
From your question - i would ask if anything else is running there, and how stressed it is. Are you capable of keeping it cool (W-1350)?
So build MooseFS 'Community Edition' environment over the weekend and tested with W-2125 and 8256 Platinum in the MASTER and both are not stressed at all with 8-10 clients until you configure the MASTER correctly. So there will be no serious need of something like W-1350 or similar. Heat is something I did not consider until now. Good point, indeed.

But I'm positively surprised by the performance so far.