Cooling VRM on Epyc server board in a consumer case

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

datapoint7

Jun 11, 2020
I'm considering a 7302p on an Asrock rack ROMED8-2T or Asrock rack EPYCD8-2T motherboard for my new ATX tower workstation for simulation work. The workstation will regularly need to run experiments for 24-48 hours all-core.

Both those boards have a tiny little heatsink on the VRM (see pic). They are probably designed for a server chassis, with an assumption of powerful fans that provide significant airflow right onto the vrm. I'm worried that if I put the above components into a consumer ATX tower case, the lack of that airflow will mean instability or overheating of the VRM on those boards.

Is there anyone who has experience with this (specifically for heavy and long workloads) who can either put my mind at ease or confirm that it's a problem? Thanks :)

(and in case anyone wonders, yes I am also considering TR 3960x. But memory situation is better on Epyc - in terms of ECC and future capacity upgrades - so I have yet to make a decision between the two).

Attachments

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I think it should be fine, as long as you have some airflow in that ATX case. An epyc 7302p does not draw a whole lot of power, at least compared to other SKUs in the Rome lineup. And IMHO, VRM temperatures sometimes get blown out of proportion. Sure, you don't want them to hit 90°C with a stock CPU, on a board that allegedly has overclocking capabilities. But on a server board, I don't consider that a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: datapoint7