Containerized Zcash ZEC Mining with nvidia-docker

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Great work as per usual Patrick!

You should also look at some other algorithms like skein and blake2s as they are even more profitable than equihash right now.
I have 2 x 1080 ti's running with a batch file that auto switches based on current profitability and they do over $10/day per card

I mine mostly at zpool.ca as they have a really wide range of coins and pay out in BTC :)

Reactions: Scalpel and wsuff

CryptoAngel

Jun 2, 2017
Hi,

I have new setup:
  1. Card: MSI GTX1060
  2. Board: MSIZ270 SLI plus
  3. CPU: Pentium G4560
  4. 4GB mem
  5. Ubuntu server (17)

Can I run any to mine ZEC on Slush?

Thx!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thank you! That would be great.
When do think it will be ready?
By the way, what are the advantages of using Doker instead of own app (except of course the easy way to start using)?

Regads!
It will likely be Sunday/ Monday.

Docker just makes it so it is easy to setup across multiple nodes and also so you do not have to deal with dependencies. If you just want to do Zcash mining on a single machine and single pool, then it is fairly easy to set it up. Docker helps when you have many machines and want to mine different pools, different architectures, and different cryptocurrencies.

Reactions: CryptoAngel

CryptoAngel

Jun 2, 2017
Thank you so much :)
I'll just wait for your message telling its ready. I'll be happy for detailed instructions how to make it work with single card for now and later how to add more cards.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Is anyone using watercooled cards for mining? (eg. something like MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X) - my question is motivated by the longevity of such a solution. The watercooling is designed primarily for gaming, but would it also last well with 24/7 100% utilization?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@poutnik I think it would be great to keep temperatures down. The flip side is that you will be better off (from a profitability perspective) buying a GTX 1080 air cooled at the same price.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Thanks @Patrick , in the end I went for the water cooled 1070 card - there is a cashback for the MSI cards which will bring it to price comparable with other air cooled 1070 cards. And it's already crunching the numbers, keeping at 61°C whereas the air cooled 1060 in the same case was hitting 80-82°C all the time. It's generating 430-437Sol/s at reported 163W (in nvidia-smi).

CryptoAngel

Jun 2, 2017
It will likely be Sunday/ Monday.

Docker just makes it so it is easy to setup across multiple nodes and also so you do not have to deal with dependencies. If you just want to do Zcash mining on a single machine and single pool, then it is fairly easy to set it up. Docker helps when you have many machines and want to mine different pools, different architectures, and different cryptocurrencies.
Hi,
When can expect it? :)
Thx!

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
Do I launch one docker instance per GPU (and use the cuda switch) Or just one container and it'll pick them both up? I scored a 1060 from Amazon warehouse for 160 with 2 fans. Figured it was worth the plunge, and if the whole mining thing goes belly up, it'll be a replacement for my wife's 660 she is still using :)

Also, edit, why do you use the Nvidia-smi docker instead of just the nvidia-smi on a regular command line?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do one instance per GPU so that I can change workloads whenever I want. That makes things easier.

nvidia-smi in docker is because if you are using nvidia-docker to manage CUDA environments, and do not have CUDA installed on the base system, you cannot use nvidia-smi without nvidia-docker.

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
Oh, did I "do it wrong" ? I looked at a guide a while ago on installing Docker, and nvidia-docker which told me to install the nvidia drivers on my base system. Could I have omitted that step and just pulled nvidia-docker?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Oh, did I "do it wrong" ? I looked at a guide a while ago on installing Docker, and nvidia-docker which told me to install the nvidia drivers on my base system. Could I have omitted that step and just pulled nvidia-docker?
Drivers on the base system is correct. You just do not install CUDA on the base system. It is a two step process normally. With nvidia-docker, drivers base system, CUDA in the nvidia-docker wrapper.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Both images updated to use the new EWBF 0.3.4a miner.