cisco 1850,2800,3800 domain B (US) on E (Europe)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

metebalci

Dec 27, 2022
Switzerland
It seems these APs in B domain is considerably cheaper than E domain, even including shipping costs and customs tax. I am trying to understand the difference (only indoor use), in terms of legal use of RF bands. Looking at wikipedia :

For 2.4 Ghz: B (north america) does not allow channels 12 and 13 whereas E does. If that is the only issue, I can live with that, my devices mostly use 5 Ghz anyway.

For 5 Ghz: B (north america) allows channels 163, 175 and 177 whereas E does not. I guess these channels can be disabled manually, so that is probably no problem. However, there are also differences in the use of some channels, where there is no particular restriction in B, there are power limits in E. I do not know if these can be configured manually.

Anybody knows more about or experience with this ?

Mete

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
It's been a while, but I had done some things with the IW versions of the 3700s both as autonomous and lightweight. While that's a slightly older version I'm making assumptions that it behaves largely the same.

IIRC, there was some odd thing in how to activate the unit using your phone, and because of GPS on the phone, it inherently restricted the domain under which it would operate. Running off a controller gave you more flexibility. It was being tested in the UK for non-UK service so I needed to get it outside of that domain's restrictions. But this was a while ago now and don't remember the details anymore.

The firmware itself I believe is all the same as is the hardware.