Can't use emoji in file names on SMB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jak

Apr 17, 2016
OmniOS v11 r151026r
napp-it 18.01c free

When I try to copy a file with emoji in the name I get the error on Windows.
The file name you specified is not valid or too long
I can copy the file using winscp and the file get copied with out a problem. In terminal I can view all the files but viewing the smb share on windows does not display the file. Just removing the emojis is not an option because many of the song names only contain emojis. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I have picures of what the files should look like, the files as seen in terminal on the server and how the look on
smb share .

Attachments

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
You should report (using the feedback tool) this to MS.

and is this with explorer or xcopy or robocopy?

Chris

jak

Apr 17, 2016
I got that error with explorer, teracopy, and ultracopy. Using Ubuntu 16.04.4 to copy the files with cp and rsync I get a different errors.
cp
cp: cannot create regular file '/mnt/test/RUEDAwniteboi✨.mp3': No such file or directory
rsync
rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/test/.RUEDAwniteboi✨.mp3.2sBXjy" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.1]

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have never used such names but would expect:

If you can create such a filename in Windows per SMB, Windows unicode aware tools should be able to copy the file. Filenames in Console, NFS, SMB or AFP can be different beside basic 7bit ASCII and some characters may not be available in another environment, forbidden or displayed different based on character set. Some Windows tools may not support unicode what can result in copy problems.

If you created a filename in SMB you can copy with wildcards like *.mp3 at console/cp/rsync or you can use ZFS replication as this just duplicates a filesystem.

If you want to work on different sharing services and console, you should avoid such special characters. This may only work when you can use everywhere unicode/ UTF-16 what you can't.

Character Sets (Windows)

Last edited: