Cannot access remote console

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

codelearner1029

Mar 31, 2023
Hello,
I am trying to access IPMI console of a server through jump server. The jump server has Java 11 installed on it. I can use remote console for most of them without problem but for few I cannot and it says Browser has no java....I read somewhere that they stopped using installation of java or plugins seperately but instead it is coming inbuilt now...Ours seems to be old console....can someone help on this?
Motherboard is X7DB8 with Supermicro and Bios version 6.00 with vendor Phoenix Technologies ltd

Note: using firefox

sko

Jun 11, 2021
TBH, that board belongs in a museum... The iKVM console on those old platforms was implemented via java NPAPI-plugins, which have been dead and gone for many years. Additionally that IPMI version only offers ancient algorithms for encryption, which aren't supported any more by browsers or halfway recent java versions.

Your only chance would be connecting via ipmitool and using the SoL, which usually is much more responsive over multiple hops than a full-blown iKVM connection.

You could also try Supermicros IPMIView tool, but IIRC support for anything below 9th generation has been dropped from newer versions; also it's java-based and hence the iKVM is horribly slow even over LAN. So just use SoL if you need to access the host pre-boot and call it a day.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
I've got an SN6000 FC switch from an archaeological dig. It also has the obsolete Java GUI that's unusable in modern browsers.

To get around this, I have a VM running Microsoft ThinPC which is based on Windows 7 Embedded. Then I installed Java 6 Update 3 and use IE8. It's super fast and lightweight with far fewer services than the full Win7. Works perfect for accessing old Java GUIs.

Only do this if you know how to lockdown, isolate, and use old OSs safely; they can get and spread malware very easily. For example: Never let them touch the internet or talk on your network freely. Stop the Server and Workstation services - Don't RDP into them, use the hypervisor console access.