Brocade mdns/avahi support?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ouraing

Dec 31, 2018
So I've been a lurker here for years but never had a need to create an account because most of my questions were asked and answered eventually, or bing hooked me up with the answer.

I got out of hands on IT stuff about 8 years ago and got rid of all my lab gear before that (because I had a work lab that was much nicer), but my company will be laying off tens of thousands this year and I want to update some of my hard skills. I'm in the process of rebuilding my home lab and as part of that redoing my home network and picked up a 6450-48P to upgrade my old HP ProCurve 1400. I'm currently waiting on a console cable before I can config anything but I was researching my plans ahead of time and finally had a reason to create an account.

I want to have unique vlans for my IoT stuff (Sensors, A/V gear), IP Cameras, Wifi and LAN with client and server segments. I know from earlier efforts that Chromecast presents a challenge if it's not on the same VLAN as the client devices. On my EdgeRouter-X I handled that with the "set service mdns repeater interface ethx" command, but I'm not finding an equivalent command for the ICX in the documentation.

Is there a native solution I can enable in the ICX config or will I end up needing to build a Bonjour gateway VM to handle making IoT devices visible to the client VLANS?

Ouraing

Dec 31, 2018
Would that conflict with using ip helper for DHCP?

I should get the switch sometime next week so I can actually try to test configs then.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
it wouldn't conflict, you would just have another helper statement aimed at the broadcast address of the other subnet. That will work fine for typical udp broadcast stuff like mdns, however after looking into bonjour, apple has it defined as link local only with a ttl set to 1 so it will never work across subnets without something like the avahi daemon rewriting the source address in the packets to make it seem like they're coming from the same subnet. So you'll need a daemon for bonjour. Reading into that spec, it sounds like a nightmare of a design

Last edited:

Ouraing

Dec 31, 2018
Well got my switch today but the PoE board appears to be toast. Oddly enough several of the ports actually do work and power my test device, but they do not show up in the inline power status:

ICX6450-48P Router>
Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply detected and up.

Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply detected and up.
PoE: Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply with 740000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 740000 mW, total capacity is 740000, total free capacity is 740000
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 on ports 1/1/1 to 1/1/48 detected. Initializing....
PoE Event Trace Log Buffer for 2000 log entries allocated
PoE Event Trace Logging enabled...
PoE Error: Device 0 failed to start on PoE module.
PoE Error: Device 1 failed to start on PoE module.
Resetting module in slot 1 again to recover from dev fault
PoE Info: Hard Resetting in slot 1....
PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.
PoE Error: Device 0 failed to start on PoE module.
PoE Error: Device 1 failed to start on PoE module.

With a Grandstream phone plugged in and powered up on 1/1/1:
ICX6450-48P Router>sh inline power 1/1/1

Port Admin Oper ---Power(mWatts)--- PD Type PD Class Pri Fault/
State State Consumed Allocated Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/1/1 On Off 0 0 n/a n/a 3 n/a

Unfortunately the eBay seller isn't being responsive.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
file a return/report with ebay itself, if the seller doesn't offer one it defaults to ebay in 30 days or something like that if I remember right. as it's clearly not as described, they'll give you a refund

Ouraing

Dec 31, 2018
Unfortunately, that's what I ended up doing just now.

On the other hand, I picked up an Aruba S3500-48P for $40 so I'll just have to keep an eye out for a cheap 2640-24 to pop up.