Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
Thank you - I will give that a try. If I upgrade my switch after backing up the running config - does it keep my info? Meaning will my running config from my 7250 firmware 08.0.80eT213 backup be accepted on the newer 7250 firmware - ?

You need to set up a tftp server, then do a "copy running-mem tftp add.res.sof.tftp filename.txt". There's no reason to need things "written down" when you can copy the configuration in digital form, and reload it in digital form, in moments.

I can't explain your "factory reset", but the switches do have two firmware slots, maybe you ended up on the other one somehow?

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Thank you - I will give that a try. If I upgrade my switch after backing up the running config - does it keep my info? Meaning will my running config from my 7250 firmware 08.0.80eT213 backup be accepted on the newer 7250 firmware - ?
Yes, and it may even be modified during the upgrade process if changes are required. The upgrade guides for each firmware release will tell you about those things.

Reactions: richtj99

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
Yes, and it may even be modified during the upgrade process if changes are required. The upgrade guides for each firmware release will tell you about those things.
Just wanted to say i did the upgrade, ran the restore command & i think everything is working perfectly again!

Not really sure how to see if something didnt transfer over but so far so good!

Reactions: kpfleming

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
This worked out well for me I have one more switch to do. Just a note to others - after you upgrade, then restore your config - DO NOT - wr mem after or you could spend an extra hour reflashing everything multiple times.......

Also curious - can these upgrades be done via usb drive using the disk0?

instead of:
Code:
#Temp IP address of the switch:
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin
Code:
setenv serverip disk0
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin
Code:
copy flash disk0 ICX7xxx/SPR08095kufi.bin primary 
erase flash secondary 
reload
similar to:

Code:
copy disk0 startup-config standard.cfg
I had some network issues due to some usb-c nic card. My last switch is in a shed with a harder upgrade due to 1 cat6 wire.

Thanks,
Rich

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Got 7450-24P delivered today from the UK. After shipping and taxes about 400€ total. Not great, not terrible. I want to try 40Gb and 6610 is EOL/even more noisier so.. Seller mentioned only 1x 1X40GQ module, but it came fully stocked, 2x 1X40GQ, 1x 4X10GF and 2x PSUs. Only rack ears are missing, if someone has extras I'm a taker. The noise is not too bad, possibly could work in my closet without any modding. Somehow I recall my old 6450-24P was worse.

edit: Taking ~60W (230V) from the wall idle after boot is complete (1 PSU).

For the console I decided to use existing Cisco FTDI USB-C to RJ45 cable. Materials needed: RJ45 keystone adapter and old miniusb cord.

RJ45USB
3 (tx)3 (tx) (green)
6 (rx)2 (rx) (white)
4-5 (gnd)5 (gnd) (black)

View attachment 33046 View attachment 33047
Tinkered a bit. PSUs are Rev A. People say Rev C is better but Rev A is not even the loudest fan in the switch atm (edit: not 100% sure about this).

show pid-prom:
Date of manufacture at CM: 10/24/18

Tried removing 1X40GQ = saves 1W~ per module, not worth it.

Powering up second PSU added 7W~

Just realized it could make more sense to source ICX7400-4X10GC instead of using fs.com 100€+ adapters. Haven't yet found detailed specs about it. Would need 100m over Cat6.

fs.com DAC didn't work between ConnectX-3 Pro and 1X40GQ (reading back, I'm not the only one with this problem). OTOH Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LX4 worked great.

IMG_3270_1.jpg IMG_3272_1.jpg

Last edited:

Cirdane

Mar 18, 2023
Hey all, I could really use some help setting up ACL's. I've been trying to find posts, documentation and guides but I really just don't quite get how this works. Very much an amateur with more advanced networking stuff.

Currently my network config is:

- Home_Main 192.168.0.1/24 (Default VLAN 1)
- Home_IoT 192.168.100.1/24 (VLAN 100)

What I want to achieve is:

- Devices on Home_IoT blocked from accessing any device on Home_Main except 192.168.0.50 (any port). Everything on Home_Main should have access to everything on Home_IoT however.

I'd much appreciate any help in setting this up.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Tinkered a bit. PSUs are Rev A. People say Rev C is better but Rev A is not even the loudest fan in the switch atm (edit: not 100% sure about this).
iirc it turned out that the Rev thing was only relevant for Emerson PSUs, not for Delta

Reactions: jei

nominal

Dec 17, 2023
Hey all, I could really use some help setting up ACL's. I've been trying to find posts, documentation and guides but I really just don't quite get how this works. Very much an amateur with more advanced networking stuff.

Currently my network config is:

- Home_Main 192.168.0.1/24 (Default VLAN 1)
- Home_IoT 192.168.100.1/24 (VLAN 100)

What I want to achieve is:

- Devices on Home_IoT blocked from accessing any device on Home_Main except 192.168.0.50 (any port). Everything on Home_Main should have access to everything on Home_IoT however.

I'd much appreciate any help in setting this up.
This post may point you in the right direction

Reactions: ManoftheSea

Fluxor

Sep 17, 2019
Hi, I have a weird issue with an ICX6610-48P, I gave it an IP and a default gateway. Most of the time it responds to pings from beyond the gateway, but at some random interval it will not accept traffic. If you are on the same subnet with it, you don't see this problem. I have other devices in that same subnet that do not experience this problem.

ICX6610 ------- Gateway -------- Computer -> Random Drops

ICX6610 ------- Computer -> No Drops

Has anyone experienced this before ? Thanks for any and all suggestions

EDIT: So I configured OSPF on the 6610 and started feeding it routes from my gateway and this problem seems to have disappeared. I'm glad the problem is gone, just uneasy as to what it might have been.

Update: As it turns out, if you have two devices with the same IP, this is less than optimal. It's almost always the easy stuff that gets us.

Last edited:

EBRAddict

Jun 16, 2023
Anyone have a STL for 3D printing rack ears for the ICX7150-C12P?
Update: Printing some up now. If they work I'll post the file.
icx7150-c12p-ears.png

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
And again the guide saved my butt :D

(I got about three weeks ago a new integrated router from my isp and it came with dhcp enabled and caused a lot of trouble becuase it was using another network address and the lease was for 3 weeks... I wanted to assign static ip addresses to my "fixed" hosts/devices and accidentally deleted the ip address on the ve 1 interface on my 6450 and it "disappeared" :D)

nominal

Dec 17, 2023
I have an ICX 7250 running 08095m. Is there any way to specify the LAG load balancing type?

I have a Cisco 1852i AP (I know I'm asking for trouble) I'm trying to LAG to the 7250. Cisco docs state to use method "src-dst-port" and that "If one doesn't configure L4 port load balancing (for example when using a switch model which does not support this feature) then the port channel will still come up but all the traffic will go through the same port. One will not have 2 gigabits of speed but there will be redundancy."

On the Ruckus docs it does speak to LAG Load Sharing but I cannot see any way to specify it explicitly. I haven't done any testing to see if it's balancing yet but when running "show ap config general" I see the following:

AP LAG Configuration Status ..................... Disabled
LAG Support for AP .............................. Yes

edit: that above said -- traffic is definitely passing through both interfaces after some testing. Not sure if it's capable of >1 Gbps but we'll see.

Last edited:

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Are the breakouts on a 6610 1/2/2-1/2/5 able to be configured back to a single 40G link? I'd prefer that over an LACP connection.

Griffon551

Nov 13, 2023
I have an icx 6610, followed the directions, everything seems to have installed fine. When I go to boot, it keeps ending with "Process [1] stopped by sds monitor. Any suggestions on how to fix?

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
Hello all,

I've got an ICX6450-24p I've had in use for a year or so now. I've noticed that when I mess around with stuff in my rack, sometimes I'll lose the SFP ports (no status lights), which I use for uplink to the upstream switch, requiring a reboot of the switch. I believe I've finally figured out what is causing it - I disconnected a shielded network cable the other day, and happened to touch the metal shielding on the connector and shocked it with ESD (it's pretty dry here, and I typically touch the rack before anything else to discharge it, but either forgot to or just moving around built up a charge). The SFP ports went dark when this happened. Rebooted, and they came back up.

Any ideas on how to keep this from repeatedly happening?

Also, has anyone found a good alternative to OEM rack-mount ears? Mine came with a couple, but as I didn't have a rack at the time, I stupidly removed them and put them "where I will remember them..." well, after much searching, I have failed to find them.

Thanks
Anyone have any ideas about the ESD issue? Been eyeing the Mikrotik CRS328-24P-4S+RM as a possible replacement for the lower noise, lower power usage, and due to the perception of lack of reliability in the Brocade (my other switch is currently full because I've tried to keep as much as possible off the Brocade due to this issue), but that's an expensive pill to swallow.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Anyone have any ideas about the ESD issue? Been eyeing the Mikrotik CRS328-24P-4S+RM as a possible replacement for the lower noise, lower power usage, and due to the perception of lack of reliability in the Brocade (my other switch is currently full because I've tried to keep as much as possible off the Brocade due to this issue), but that's an expensive pill to swallow.
It appears you have a ground potential difference that's causing you problems. If both ends are on a different circuit that could be why. But it looks like the 6450 doesn't have any ground posts at its rear/sides. If you're not using any ears then you can try bonding the switch to your rack (somehow) or try replacing your cables with non-shielded variety. First, use a ground tester to see receptacles for your switch and the equipment on the other end of that shielded cable are properly grounded. If the other end is connected to a switch that has no ground plug then look for a grounding screw and bond that to ground. Even Netgear consumer switches have these ground posts, which is why I'm surprised the 6450 doesn't.

Shielded configurations are challenging and that's why people don't recommend them unless they understand how to deploy them.

Reactions: blunden

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
It appears you have a ground potential difference that's causing you problems. If both ends are on a different circuit that could be why. But it looks like the 6450 doesn't have any ground posts at its rear/sides. If you're not using any ears then you can try bonding the switch to your rack (somehow) or try replacing your cables with non-shielded variety. First, use a ground tester to see receptacles for your switch and the equipment on the other end of that shielded cable are properly grounded. If the other end is connected to a switch that has no ground plug then look for a grounding screw and bond that to ground. Even Netgear consumer switches have these ground posts, which is why I'm surprised the 6450 doesn't.

Shielded configurations are challenging and that's why people don't recommend them unless they understand how to deploy them.
Thank you for the response. This switch is not connected to anything outside of my rack, and everything within it is connected to the same PDU. It was purely from static electricity (I live in a dry area) from me. I've had other times where it seemed like just touching the front of the switch around where the cables are (disconnecting an un-shielded cable) would do the same thing. Internally, is the chassis not grounded to the ground of the power cable coming into it? I would think ESD would go out that, but not very familiar with how that works.