Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mstgkillr

Sep 3, 2023
Per @LodeRunner

When you're in the bootloader, ICX64XX-boot>> you need to connect your ethernet cable to the management port.
Wait... I have been connecting from my laptop's USB-C to the switch's console port via OIKWAN USB-C to RJ45 Serial Adapter. I am assuming the console port is the same as the management port (top left) on the switch. Is the management port different?

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Wait... I have been connecting from my laptop's USB-C to the switch's console port via OIKWAN USB-C to RJ45 Serial Adapter. I am
Attach files
=21107&hash=c6a0fcbf62c45ce7d7473d943281da9c']

assuming the console port is the same as the management port (top left) on the switch. Is the management port different?
The management nic port is below that, on the bottom left. The tftp stuff is done over Ethernet, typically plugged into the Ethernet port of the PC you're working with, just like the serial.

mstgkillr

Sep 3, 2023
I tried the port on the bottom left, but it didn't make any type of connection to the switch (see attached). Also, disregard the ethernet cable plugged into Port #1, I wasn't using it. I've also attached the cable that I am using to connect the computer to the switch.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something that I'm doing wrong or if the switch is bad. I'm just about to give up on it.

Attachments

mstgkillr

Sep 3, 2023
You also need an ethernet (network) cable to get the tftp connection to the server, over the network.
Should the (network) cable be connected directly to the computer that I'm using with the (serial) cable, and which port should the (network) cable be connected to?

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
So there needs to be two cables (well, three if you include power).

Top Port is console serial connection. Uses the usb adapter you posted. Leave that in this port until done.

Bottom port is Network Management. This plugs into your network for the firmware steps. You want to plug this into your existing network. At this point, you should be able to ping 40.118

• Love
Reactions: mstgkillr

mstgkillr

Sep 3, 2023
So there needs to be two cables (well, three if you include power).

Top Port is console serial connection. Uses the usb adapter you posted. Leave that in this port until done.

Bottom port is Network Management. This plugs into your network for the firmware steps. You want to plug this into your existing network. At this point, you should be able to ping 40.118
That is what I needed! Finally, got it! Thanks everyone! Figures it was something simple, but that I would have never figured out on my own.

Now, I'm stuck on the last step... the licensing "flash copy stack error: tftp timeout." Any suggestion on cables or other issues.

Attachments

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
1) make sure the tftp server is running. What OS is it on?
2) can you ping both IP addresses, for the switch, 118 and the server, 79?

Reactions: mstgkillr

mstgkillr

Sep 3, 2023
1) make sure the tftp server is running. What OS is it on?
2) can you ping both IP addresses, for the switch, 118 and the server, 79?
1)tftp server is running. Windows 11.
2) I can ping the server but not the switch?

In the Foheesda Docs, I read the following "Now we need to assign that virtual interface an address. Choose an IP that is unused in your subnet, and out of your DHCP server range (ping it first to be sure it's unused)." Do I really need to change the IP address that is out of the DHCP server range? Wouldn't reserving it be the same?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
1)tftp server is running. Windows 11.
2) I can ping the server but not the switch?

In the Foheesda Docs, I read the following "Now we need to assign that virtual interface an address. Choose an IP that is unused in your subnet, and out of your DHCP server range (ping it first to be sure it's unused)." Do I really need to change the IP address that is out of the DHCP server range? Wouldn't reserving it be the same?
It’s general network advice: fixed infrastructure should be static IP so if DHCP fails in some way, you don’t lose your management access.

Reactions: Pallee and bwahaha

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Ok. I have done a dumb thing on my ICX6610.

I changed the speed on one of my 10g ports (1/3/1) to 1g. When I try to set the port back to 10g, I'm getting the message:

PoD: No license present for port 1/3/1

What should I do? I don't want to impact all of the other 10g ports.

FYI. The show license command shows the POD license as active.
Any other suggestions?

lawrence1986

Sep 6, 2023
HELLO I'M HERE BECAUSE I NEED A LITTLE HELP. I HAVE A BROCADE, ALSO KNOWN AS A RUCKUS ICX7250. I HAVE RESET IT BACK TO FACTORY AND I INSTALLED 08.0.95K UEFI FIRMWARE. I'M TRYING TO INSTALL VERISON 09.0.10F. HOW I UPDATED THE 08 VERSION WAS WITH TFTP, AND I THINK THE COMMAND IS 'COPY TFTP FLASH XXX.XXX.X.X ICX7XXX/SPR09010FUFI PRIMARY', WHICH DIDN'T WORK. I ALSO TRIED 'COPY TFTP FLASH XXX.XXX.X.X ICX7XXX/SPR09010FUFI.BIN SECONDARY. I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE HAS EVER PLAYED WITH ONE OF THESE. This IS MY FIRST TIME PLAYING WITH ONE OF THESE. how i flashed it was i used the
Setup / Config / Licensing Guide v2 ---- on this form and i used the im sure im missing something here

Load The Latest UFI Image

Now that the switch has an IP address & is booted into v08090 (which is capable of flashing the new UFI format images), we can flash the latest stable FastIron version. First, move your ethernet cable from the dedicated management port to any of the regular switch ports. Then run the following to flash the new UFI image. Like previous commands, replace the IP with the IP of your own TFTP server:

copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 ICX7xxx/SPR08095kufi.bin primary
erase flash secondary
reload

i tried to use both of these commands, but neither of them worked

copy tftp flash xxx.xxx.x.x ICX7xxx/SPR09010fufi.bin secondary

copy tftp flash xxx.xxx.x.x ICX7xxx/SPR09010fufi.bin primary

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
copy tftp flash xxx.xxx.x.x ICX7xxx/SPR09010fufi.bin secondary

copy tftp flash xxx.xxx.x.x ICX7xxx/SPR09010fufi.bin primary
What output do these two commands give? Any messages at all?

and why are you trying to copy to secondary? that's not how the instructions go.

lawrence1986

Sep 6, 2023
i put the New uefi file in the TFPT -content in hopes i could flash from there, just like when i flashed copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 ICX7xxx/SPR08095kufi.bin primary only diffrence is the UFI.bin is diffrent i didnt think that would matter as long as it could see it

lawrence1986

Sep 6, 2023
My goal with this switch was for it to do switching things, have a really cool web UI, and have 10 GB. I mean, I don't think I'm asking too much here, maybe even a few extra things, but nothing that I would expect to be a challenge with this thing.

lawrence1986

Sep 6, 2023
What output do these two commands give? Any messages at all?

and why are you trying to copy to secondary? that's not how the instructions go.
Well, because primary wasn't working, I was like, Fxx it, let's see ifthe funny part is, I was in the process of flashing, so I had everything in a notepad to make sure the commands were right, so all I had to do was copy and hit enter, and I was in the TFPT server. It would not allow me to flash SPR09010fufi.bin, but as soon as I typed SPR08095kufi.bin in per the directions, 95k flashed right away.

lawrence1986

Sep 6, 2023
i thought i had it but i guess that didnt work i type in the command enable than put in the command but it wont even allow me to accress the gui and i have to do the whole thing over again