Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
08.0.30t out

Enhancements in FastIron 08.0.30t FastIron 08.0.30t release contains defect fixes. There are no enhancements in this release.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Does anyone have an ebay source for mounting ears for both the 6450 and 6610?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger to replace my Netgear setup.

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
Does anyone have an ebay source for mounting ears for both the 6450 and 6610?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger to replace my Netgear setup.
Almost impossible to find and the kits are like $150 from the minimum I have found.

I was lucky enough to get a switch with ears but one of mine does not have them. Of note these are pretty heavy, I don't know if I would trust the ears to hold them up on their own. I use a shelf https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X3JHIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 then stack both on top. I have one ear on each just to hold it into place.

I am tossing around going to a machine shop and seeing if they can produce replica ears

Reactions: wsuff

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Last question before I buy from eBay.

Do the PE/PI "Premium" models mean they have the advanced licenses or just that only the PE/PI models accept the advanced licenses?

EDIT:

And if I need licenses, which ones do I need to get the 16x 10G ports and L3?

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
The -24P or -48P is PoE. The second P stands for Premium.

Either case, it appears from limited research, it provides the license for L3 routing, best I can tell. So I'll just need 4x 10G licenses? Is @fohdeesha still offering these licenses for free?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Page 10 of the datasheet.

I have (2) ICX-6810-48P-E (from brocade label on bottom) both have all 4 (available) licenses loaded (Thanks to fohdeesha!)
You may want to confirm with the seller that the license is actually loaded on the switches (screenshot of "show license") prior to purchase.
I'm guessing you are going to use these switches for commercial purposes?

My seller advertised the switches as: New (Other Bulk) with the console cable and rackmount ears - they simply copied the spec sheet into the item listing. They did not come with either and were definitely not new. But had bulk packaging that was new (maybe came from internal Brocade use?). The switches were also advertised as a single power supply and fan tray. They actually came with 2 PSU and 2 fan trays each (A-A and A-B). YMMV seems very true for buying these off eBay.

When I asked about the ears they offered me $100 off each switch - which I took. still searching for ears, however in the meantime I will likely use half of a heavy duty center mount cantilever shelf set mounted to the back of my 2 post to hold them in position and probably a strap or two.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I have a 6610 on the way and might be working out a deal for a 6450 with the same seller as a bundle.

They wiped the 6610 so I will need licenses from fohdeesha, and he is the only reason I am getting one as it would suck to get a switch that required me to go spend a ton more on licenses to actually use it. So major props for the charity to the community.

I really enjoyed being one of the pilot guys for the Aruba S2500 switches so I hope to maybe have the ability to help here as well, though it seems fohdeesha and a couple of others already have tons of knowledge with these so I am not sure how much more I will have to add.

So I have the Aruba S2500-48T and S2500-24P, I see the 6450 offering me if I could find the 24P model cheap enough a quiet switch with less power draw due to the more efficent PSU and other internals.

The 6610 just offers me a chance to have a true enterprise grade switch at home that I plan to use as my core when I move to a new house later this year. I might see about actually creating a SAS3 based NAS with SSD's and connecting it via 40gb :)

I am a Cisco guy and I am drooling waiting to get to play with all the advanced Brocade CLI from what I have read and researched so far I really like how they have it laid out.

I will also need to figure out how to make my own rack ears for this thing, as unfortunately it did not come with them.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The -24P or -48P is PoE. The second P stands for Premium.

Either case, it appears from limited research, it provides the license for L3 routing, best I can tell. So I'll just need 4x 10G licenses? Is @fohdeesha still offering these licenses for free?
it just means they come preloaded with a premium routing license. I wouldn't spend any extra money on one

dlaffin1012

Feb 21, 2019
A bit overkill for a home lab. Since you don't need many 40g ports I'd just simplify it on one switch and keep the other switch as backup saving power/noise. Other stuff is going to die probably before a network card. Can always swap one in easily unless this is mission critical business stuff or you just want to play around with LACP etc. Depending on the motherboard the PCIE speeds might be reduced with multiple cards but probably won't matter. Some of the Mellenox cards run at 8x (will run at 4x fine and doubtful you will hit any cap on that.
So stacking is a bit overkill haha? This is a mixture of a homelab and a the home network. I just like playing around with the tech too much. Sometimes going so extreme just because want to see how far I can go. Back to the questions at hand, so it isn't worth having a separated cards. If I were to stacking then dual port cards is fine? Otherwise I may just get one 6610, not sure yet. If I do the dual port cards then I don't have to swap any parts for the other systems. Although I did just purchase a Rosewill R4000 to move my NAS out of the server and onto its own system, kind of excited for that. I guess the stacking really determines If I get single port or dual port cards, since if I only have one switch then what would be the point of doing LACP on 10G and 40G connections as it wouldn't be speed that I am looking for, more redundancy. And if I just did single ports with one switch tehn I could still use the QSFP breakout ports to get more 10G ports. I want to keep building on my overall system so I may get more 10G capable devices over time.

How often does a switch like this go down? Is the stacking really that necessary then, other than for more ports? I guess one of the power supplies is more likely to go down before the switch itself?

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Is $150 shipped for a 6450-48P fair?
It's hard to tell as since the OP started this thread prices and availability as well as demand have been all over the place.

I actually wanted the 6450-24P for the power savings, but those are like diamonds and hard to find.

dlaffin1012

Feb 21, 2019
Now I am trying to determine if I should get a 2 6610-24p's and stack or one 6610-48p. Maybe two 6610-48ps and stack them, damn why is this such a hard decision.

fitzpattywagon

Feb 15, 2019
Is $150 shipped for a 6450-48P fair?
It's hard to tell as since the OP started this thread prices and availability as well as demand have been all over the place.

I actually wanted the 6450-24P for the power savings, but those are like diamonds and hard to find.
I guess I'm lucky I bought 2 6450-24s this week for $99/ea