Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sdyoung

Apr 10, 2022
And no issues pinging from either device when switch is booted in the OS.
Code:
ICX6450-48P Router>ping 192.168.1.123
Sending 1, 16-byte ICMP Echo to 192.168.1.123, timeout 5000 msec, TTL 64
Type Control-c to abort
Reply from 192.168.1.123   : bytes=16 time=1ms TTL=128
Success rate is 100 percent (1/1), round-trip min/avg/max=1/1/1 ms.
Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.150 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.150: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.150:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
The 'setenv' commands have always worked on mine, even before flashing the new primary image. It just was never able to connect to/ping the TFTP server which I assumed was an issue with the TFTP server/Windows Firewall but that doesn't seem to be the case since no issues flashing via the GUI. So far, I've flashed new primary/secondary and ran 'reload' to reboot the switch.
Hmmm. Well that's about the limits of what I know about the switch lol. You'll have to wait until one of the more knowledgeable members chimes in. I wish I could be better help!

I've still got the old 07.4.00dT311 version as my Secondary. I wonder if I am able to reboot into the Secondary? Not that it would help you out any, but if someone else runs into the same problem I can always boot into the old version to find the proper commands.

sdyoung

Apr 10, 2022
Hmmm. Well that's about the limits of what I know about the switch lol. You'll have to wait until one of the more knowledgeable members chimes in. I wish I could be better help!

I've still got the old 07.4.00dT311 version as my Secondary. I wonder if I am able to reboot into the Secondary? Not that it would help you out any, but if someone else runs into the same problem I can always boot into the old version to find the proper commands.
No worries, I appreciate all the help @Lone Wolf!

Reactions: Lone Wolf

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
No worries, I appreciate all the help @Lone Wolf!
I'm going to ask a question you may have already answered and I just missed it, but is your ethernet cable plugged into the actual management port, or one of the switch ports?

The boot environment will only be able to use the management ethernet port.

sdyoung

Apr 10, 2022
I'm going to ask a question you may have already answered and I just missed it, but is your ethernet cable plugged into the actual management port, or one of the switch ports?

The boot environment will only be able to use the management ethernet port.
Yup, console cable plugged into console port and ethernet cable plugged into management port below.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Yup, console cable plugged into console port and ethernet cable plugged into management port below.
OK. From the CLI, usually if the switch can ping the TFTP host, but TFTP isn't working (and Windows Firewall is completely off) then it's possibly a misconfiguration of the TFTP server itself. For example, mine likes to forget the root folder I have the firmware files in, so I have to remember to updated it; on occasion it's bound itself to the wrong interface (when my workstation used to have Hyper-V enabled, it would for some reason prefer the HV NIC that was not configured to an interface rather than the PHY). I've also had problems with TFTPd64 when files I want are not in the root folder, so I would move them up one level and the issue would go away.

Epoxymonk

Apr 16, 2022
Hello,

Thanks to this thread I've ordered an ICX7250 off of Ebay! The switch came running firmware version 08.0.90d and I'm not sure what version I should upgrade to. Fohdeesha's guide has 08.0.95f but I that there is a newer version, 09.0.10b that includes the 7250. Which should I upgrade to?

Thanks!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
And no issues pinging from either device when switch is booted in the OS.
Code:
ICX6450-48P Router>ping 192.168.1.123
Sending 1, 16-byte ICMP Echo to 192.168.1.123, timeout 5000 msec, TTL 64
Type Control-c to abort
Reply from 192.168.1.123   : bytes=16 time=1ms TTL=128
Success rate is 100 percent (1/1), round-trip min/avg/max=1/1/1 ms.
Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.150 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.150:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

if it's pinging from the OS but not the bootloader, I highly suspect you're either mistyping something IP related in the bootloader, the cable is plugged into a regular port, or a lot less likely but possible, your router has a restriction on clients where only clients that have fetched a DHCP address are allowed on the network and static assignments are blocked. once it's booted into the OS can you post the output of "show ip int"

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Follow @fohdeesha's recommendation if you don't want to beta test for Ruckus or run into corner cases inherent in new firmware.
honestly at this point I'd say 8090+ isn't even to beta yet, boot is still full of python packaging errors and some of the recent bugs they've patched are along the lines of "device eats its own flash alive with spurious writes"

Reactions: Epoxymonk

sdyoung

Apr 10, 2022
if it's pinging from the OS but not the bootloader, I highly suspect you're either mistyping something IP related in the bootloader, the cable is plugged into a regular port, or a lot less likely but possible, your router has a restriction on clients where only clients that have fetched a DHCP address are allowed on the network and static assignments are blocked. once it's booted into the OS can you post the output of "show ip int"
Current project for work has me out of town and only home every other weekend but I'll post results next time I'm back. Thanks @fohdeesha

Paul Mew

Dec 31, 2019
Hi, I'm very late to the 6450 party and I'm struggling! First off, huge thanks to fohdeesha and everyone else who allows people like me to stand on their shoulders.... it's very much appreciated.

Currently, I'm running an HP 2910al with 10g modules, so I'm not totally unversed with console etc, but I'm still doing things "by numbers"

Following the guide, I've hit problems with TFTP I believe....... I've trawled the forum and I think I've done all I can so I'm looking for inspiration please.

Hopefully the attached screen grabs will show where I am............

My router is pfsense at...................... 10.10.10.1
My W11 machine with TFTP is at..... 10.10.10.15
My 6450 is at.......................................10.10.10.98

Windows firewall is off. My AVG av is off.

From PUTTY, I can ping the router and the W11 machine. Should I be able to ping the 6450 from W11 via a cmd prompt? Because I can't.

When I issue the update_primary command, it goes into a ICMP Host redirect loop which I can only stop with a "control c"

TIA

Paul

Attachments

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
When I spliced my USB it had red green white and black.

Using t568b coloring on the jack

USB. Keystone

White is Green
Green is green/white
Black is blue
Red is ignored

Hop in putty, securecrt or whatever you prefer. Just remember 9600, N ,8, 1
Well damn. That was easy as heck. Thanks for posting (and also to the others who worked this out). Anybody want an unused Brocade mini-usb to serial cable?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi, I'm very late to the 6450 party and I'm struggling! First off, huge thanks to fohdeesha and everyone else who allows people like me to stand on their shoulders.... it's very much appreciated.

Currently, I'm running an HP 2910al with 10g modules, so I'm not totally unversed with console etc, but I'm still doing things "by numbers"

Following the guide, I've hit problems with TFTP I believe....... I've trawled the forum and I think I've done all I can so I'm looking for inspiration please.

Hopefully the attached screen grabs will show where I am............

My router is pfsense at...................... 10.10.10.1
My W11 machine with TFTP is at..... 10.10.10.15
My 6450 is at.......................................10.10.10.98

Windows firewall is off. My AVG av is off.

From PUTTY, I can ping the router and the W11 machine. Should I be able to ping the 6450 from W11 via a cmd prompt? Because I can't.

When I issue the update_primary command, it goes into a ICMP Host redirect loop which I can only stop with a "control c"

TIA

Paul
you have something strange going on on your network if something is replying for 10.10.10.15 with ICMP redirects, something on your network is answering for .15 and trying to advertise a better path. maybe reboot your router and windows 11 machine. you should absolutely be able to ping the icx from w11 and vice versa

Paul Mew

Dec 31, 2019
you have something strange going on on your network if something is replying for 10.10.10.15 with ICMP redirects, something on your network is answering for .15 and trying to advertise a better path. maybe reboot your router and windows 11 machine. you should absolutely be able to ping the icx from w11 and vice versa
I've found a setting within pfsense that disables ICMP redirects and that works now............ it doesn't answer the question of why I was getting them in the first place though.............

I still can't ping the 6450 from W11.......... pinging everything else attached to my existing network switch works fine. My existing switch shows me the 6450 MAC address as "up"........... I just don't seem to be able to address it...

I was under the impression that if you can ping one way, then the only thing stopping it can be a firewall of some kind? I do have a pfsense "allow all" to port 69 and windows firewall is off...... Am I missing anything there?

I wonder if its possible just to disconnect my W11 and 6450 from the network and just have them as two standalones connected with a network cable? It feels as though that should be possible, and I've kinda had a go, but didn't get far...... Windows allocated itself an address of 169.254.240.x .... I tried setting the 6450 in the same subnet but got a little stuck after that....

Last edited:

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Just post
Version 5.2 of tftpd-hpa (appears to be the current version for Ubuntu LTS 20.04, and potentially others) does not like having directory names with spaces in them, even when they are properly enclosed in quotes. It treats a directory with spaces in it as being 2 (or more) directories, and then throws an error. This is because it's just piping the Directory variable through a "wc -w" command, which is dumb, but whatever. Easily fixed. I removed the space in the "TFTP Content" directory and presto-magico everything works.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this massive thread! Getting my 7250-24p up and running now.

Reactions: fohdeesha