Bought a New SSD - Want to Verify SMART Info

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys,

I just purchased a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD off of eBay the other day. Here is the link.

The seller had it listed as used, and that it was used less than a week. I checked the SMART info using CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Sentinel.

When I originally looked at the drive a few days ago, I remembered the powered on hours and the power on count were higher than what the programs showed today. I know I had the correct drive selected both times. Neither of those values were higher than 10 anyway, so it's not a big difference.

My main concern is if its possible that the seller reset the values? I have read that its possible to reset them if you connect to the debug ports on a drive and issue a "N1" command. I only remember seeing the debug ports on a HDD not on a SSD. There is only the 2 SATA connectors on the drive. Is it possible that info is reset during a firmware reflash for a SSD?

I'm just trying to put my mind at ease and see how likely the SMART info I'm seeing has been altered.

I have seen the topic come up here before where someone clearly bought a used HDD off of eBay, but all the smart info was clear out.

Have you gys ever seen SMART info cleared on an SSD?