Bought a New SSD - Want to Verify SMART Info

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys,

I just purchased a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD off of eBay the other day. Here is the link.

The seller had it listed as used, and that it was used less than a week. I checked the SMART info using CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Sentinel.

When I originally looked at the drive a few days ago, I remembered the powered on hours and the power on count were higher than what the programs showed today. I know I had the correct drive selected both times. Neither of those values were higher than 10 anyway, so it's not a big difference.

My main concern is if its possible that the seller reset the values? I have read that its possible to reset them if you connect to the debug ports on a drive and issue a "N1" command. I only remember seeing the debug ports on a HDD not on a SSD. There is only the 2 SATA connectors on the drive. Is it possible that info is reset during a firmware reflash for a SSD?

I'm just trying to put my mind at ease and see how likely the SMART info I'm seeing has been altered.

I have seen the topic come up here before where someone clearly bought a used HDD off of eBay, but all the smart info was clear out.

Have you gys ever seen SMART info cleared on an SSD?

Nanotech

Aug 1, 2016
No I'm not aware of SMART info being cleared or reset on an SSD to fake write/read/power on count or hours. You can try checking with other programs such as SSD-Z, SSDLife and others but CDI is pretty reliable.