BK-1264NP-4L BIOS and other mods

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thys

Dec 17, 2023
NL
I have used the iso for flashing the BIOS to cwwk units (link is in the post by @thys). Once you flash it to USB, you need to remove the bios file (CW-N100-V2-5M2-230927.bin) and the 1.nsh file and modify the startup script to not try to execute 1.nsh script, so you basically ends up with a EFI shell boot drive with an Intel BIOS flasher tool (fpt.EFI).
Then you can use that flasher tool to do whatever you want with the ROM/BIOS.
I am not at home now, writing this from memory, so definitely do not blindly copy it!!!
For full dump:
Code:
FPT.efi -D fulldump.bin
For BIOS dump:
Code:
FPT.efi -BIOS -D bios_dump.bin
Also in case you have a SSD connected, the EFI shell will most probably start with that SSD selected (fs0), at least it does for me. But the flasher tool is on your USB (fs1 if you only have one drive in the unit), so you need to first switch to your USB drive and go to EFI folder before you can use the flasher.
Hello all! Just noticed this thread now. Glad to read some are having succes with my mod!
Unfortunately I also get a PM now and then when people bricked it, which is really sad.

BEFORE FLASHING ALWAYS PERFORM THE ABOVE FULLDUMP
To make a full dump of your own BIOS with all other regions as well.
You can use this with the programmer to recover if flashing does not give a working result.

This is the guide I used to mod the BIOS file, you can use the dump from above as base

tdatta

Mar 26, 2024
Hello all! Just noticed this thread now. Glad to read some are having succes with my mod!
Unfortunately I also get a PM now and then when people bricked it, which is really sad.

BEFORE FLASHING ALWAYS PERFORM THE ABOVE FULLDUMP
To make a full dump of your own BIOS with all other regions as well.
You can use this with the programmer to recover if flashing does not give a working result.

This is the guide I used to mod the BIOS file, you can use the dump from above as base
Thanks to your help I managed to unbrick mine.

but some things I am noticing reading through these threads.

your photos show board version 1.2 and you report Bios version 1.5

another user had board version 1.3

I have board version 1.4 and originally came with bios 1.5.

When I flashed with your modified bios is saw no difference in the menus. I bricked my system and used a hardware flasher to flash your fulldump (I’m assuming from bios 1.5). This allowed me to get the machine to turn on, but it took over a minute to start, did a number beeps, and then didn’t recognize the Nvme, and also probably there were other things which were not working. I then flashed with fpt the 1.4 bios provided by the manufacturer which was posted on the forum. This surprisingly lead to a fully functional system even though mine originally came with a 1.5 bios.

I was able to edit this 1.4 bios to unlock menus. And now have a fully working system.

I find it surprising that your fulldump and edited bios files didn’t work on my 1.4 board, even though it came with a 1.5 bios.

Reactions: thys

Kali-

Feb 21, 2024
where is written the revision?
i guests it was got from bios info, but lasts post makes me think it's written somewhere

tdatta

Mar 26, 2024
An interesting new development.

the bios which I had unlocked now no longer has the new menus. No changes were made to the system apart from rebooting. Furthermore, reflashing with the same bios again does not show the new menus. They seem to have disappeared.

when viewing the bios file in an editor I can still see that the menus should remain unlocked. But they simply don’t show up any more.

I cleared the cmos and ran through the process again. Still no menus.

tdatta

Mar 26, 2024
Manufacturer sent me the original BIOS v 1.5, I did mention to them that I had board version 1.4, though I dont know if the BIOS is specific to that board.

BK12V015

I edited it and am able to see unlocked menus, lets see if they persist.

tdatta

Mar 26, 2024
here is the modded version. Just the BIOS portion. As a disclaimer, there is significant risk to using this. And I cannot claim to know what I was doing when I edited it. Use this at you own risk. I accept no responsibility for what may happen if you use this.

1.5 Edited

thegooddoctor

Mar 29, 2024
here is the modded version. Just the BIOS portion. As a disclaimer, there is significant risk to using this. And I cannot claim to know what I was doing when I edited it. Use this at you own risk. I accept no responsibility for what may happen if you use this.

1.5 Edited
access denied

MOrg

Mar 30, 2024
Who will share information? What results does AIDA64 give? In stock firmware. And what is your testing frequency?

thegooddoctor

Mar 29, 2024
ok ... performed a dump, then flashed tdatta's 1.5 Edited and I am not seeing any additional menus
Morg post references a different file BK12V015unlocked; who is sharing this file as it reports "access denied"? file now downloadable, tried ... Am I missing the location of the new menus? either that or they are not working :(

Last edited:

tdatta

Mar 26, 2024
ok ... performed a dump, then flashed tdatta's 1.5 Edited and I am not seeing any additional menus
Morg post references a different file BK12V015unlocked; who is sharing this file as it reports "access denied"? file now downloadable, tried ... Am I missing the location of the new menus? either that or they are not working :(
I had this same issue when trying others unlocked files. No new menus even though others could see them. I even had the crazy issue that I saw unlocked menus after flashing and then they disappeared after reboot.
I really don’t understand what’s going on, which means there is something we are overlooking.

Kali-

Feb 21, 2024
i have BK-1264NP-4L V1.2
The computer is already working with me, after uploading this bios: BK12V014 (V 1.4)
I think board version vs bios version may not go hand in hand :) (e.g. in my case, board v1.2 and bios v1.4)
if i have understood this bios come from vendor and should be v1.4
i have compared with the dump i got from my board v1.2 and bios v1.4 and hash differs, very odd

7159134fc9e2d1c0287b7f6dcc622ff6 my_bios_1.4.rom
f35941cc720b39ce8fe98728bf72f787 BK12V014.bin

johny_mnemonic

Feb 11, 2024
if i have understood this bios come from vendor and should be v1.4
i have compared with the dump i got from my board v1.2 and bios v1.4 and hash differs, very odd

7159134fc9e2d1c0287b7f6dcc622ff6 my_bios_1.4.rom
f35941cc720b39ce8fe98728bf72f787 BK12V014.bin
Unfortunately this was the case with all the dumps we tried to compare.
The hashes and even the files when you compared them differed quite a lot even though being reported as the same version. No idea why that is. Maybe the configuration is stored directly in the data structure of the BIOS, so every change you do in the BIOS changes it even though you just changed one option from ON to OFF, etc. So there is always risk involved :(

MOrg

Mar 30, 2024
Dear friends, any dump taken is individual, of course they will be different, but in general everything will work. It is better to install with a clean ME region.

Kali-

Feb 21, 2024
i doubt config is part of the dump, probably there is more then bios in the 16mb
i did some test with dd and comparing portion of them show about this chunks are the same

1st mb is the same
Code:
dd count=1 bs=1M if=<filename> | md5sum
last 6mb are the same
Code:
dd count=6 bs=1M skip=10 if=<filename> | md5sum

margiampe

Jan 8, 2024
Hello everyone,
Has anyone experienced random reboots or system freezes (requiring a power off and on) with their setup?

Here's my configuration:
- RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB 4800MHz
- HDD: PNY CS2230 500GB M.2 NVMe
- Motherboard revision: 1.2

I've already checked the RAM with memtest86 and found no errors. I tried removing the M.2 and installing a SATA drive to see if it was a SSD issue, but I couldn't verify this because the supplied SATA power connector had the wrong current pinout, carrying 12v to the 5v pins, which burned out the HD's board—so be careful. The SMART status of the M.2 is okay. It could be the power supply, but I don't have a spare to test...

I've also positioned a 12-inch fan underneath with the case open, but the freeze still occurred. Furthermore, the freeze can happen even after three days, making it difficult to determine if any setting changes have been effective.

On the machine, I'm running Proxmox with an LXC containing Docker and another with Pi-hole. The system load averages 0.45, and CPU usage is at 2%—so, practically idle.

If it were just reboots with VMs restoring, I'd be at peace with it... but when it freezes, I have to physically intervene with the system. I haven't updated the BIOS to the unlocked version by thys yet; it's still the original v. 1.5.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?