Best place to buy used Epyc (non-china version)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

starcaptain

Jun 12, 2023
AMD EPYC works different than Intel.
Intels max. core clocks are fused.
AMD EPYC clocks can get higher if there is some Power left, means the motherboard and BIOS adjustments are VERY
important. specialy with Linux check setting the Perfomance options to BIOS control, not OS.
RE benchmarks: I will run some additional benchmarks this evening to see how it compares.
I wasn't aware that the bios determined the power setting so I will take a look at that as well.

Reactions: RolloZ170

starcaptain

Jun 12, 2023
This is a deep question, but there is some help here for each EPYC generation: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/tuning-guides-server
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a tuning guide. Thank you so much for this as well as all your prior comments, I sincerely appreciate it.

FWIW: with how quick and in depth you and others responded i'm absolutely loving the STH community. I have 500tb hdd and 60tb u.2 nvme spread across my homelab and am working my way slowly up to a petabyte, so i'm sure I will ask more questions and try to contribute where I can.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
tuning guide has the good stuff, and a lot of useless stuff, with linux you want bios + linux tuning

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
The best part of this particular thread, to me, is that here is a person who has a specific workload asking for advice! There's a goal here! Rejoice!

Reactions: name stolen

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The best part of this particular thread, to me, is that here is a person who has a specific workload asking for advice! There's a goal here! Rejoice!
he needs a CPU with only few cores but 6Ghz(or more) per core...

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
i had purchased some epycs from a seller in california, how do i know if they didn't get that from china to sell from here? i didn't know about the throttling.

would it actually have another brand on it ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
i still doubt the EPYCs are different. if you trust benchmarks with OCed CPU or use worktools that don't scale with cores you always are surprised.