ASrock Rack ROMED8-2T - Correct PCIE2 Selection Jumper settings and/or what cables to use OCU1 & OCU2 w/ U.2 Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
I must be doing this wrong because no matter how I set the PCIE2 Selection Jumpers for my ROMED8-2T board, I cannot see the two Micron 9300 Pro U.2 drives connected to the two OCU1 & OCU2 connectors on the board using two of these cables: PCIe Gen 4 16 GT/s OCulink (SFF-8611) to U.2 (SFF-8639) Cable

Re jumper (in)correctness, see the motherboard's manual @ https://download.asrock.com/Manual/ROMED8-2T.pdf and on page 7 the two referenced jumpers PE8_SEL & PE16_SEL, also note where pin one is supposed to be (on the very left per three-pin-jumper)

1703541765985.png

.. and reading page 27 the lower two are what I'd want (I have nothing in PCIe slot 2):

1703541928273.png

.. and by that I mean that:

- for the first variant (lower left), I took the 2-pin-connecting, blue jumper of PE8_SEL and put it onto the two right-most pins and for the PE16_SEL, I too the blue jumper and put it over the two left-most pins.
- for the second variant (lower right), I took the 2-pin-connecting, blue jumper of PE8_SEL and put it onto the two right-most pins and for the PE16_SEL, I too the blue jumper and put it over the two right-most pins as well.

.. in both cases I cannot see the U.2 drives. PLEASE correct me if I'm reading / applying these jumper settings wrong and/or IS anyone using the two Oculink connectors on the ROMED8-2T board with U.2 drives and if so, what jumper settings and cables are you using?

Thanks!
-Joerg

nexox

May 3, 2023
I don't have one of those boards, but if there's an option in the BIOS to force the link generation to 3.0 that may be worth a try.

Also that manual could be written far better.

Reactions: j.battermann

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
Yeah, I had already set the link speed of OCU1 and OCU2 to PCIe Gen3 given the Micron / 9300 Pro's older PCIe 3.0 spec, but that didn't help unfortunately. So I'm thinking that either something might be off with the particular cables I have (i.e. they are not compatible with the board for some reason) or something else is going on.. hence if someone has tried that board & uses / used its Oculink connectors successfully, any cable recommendations known to work would really help.

Reactions: nexox

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
Not a stupid question :) ... but yep I did. The PSU is modular, added the two U.2s to one new / additional PSU cable with sata power plugs, and connected the one sata power plug per oculink>u.2 cable to its corresponding connector. The U.2 drives do also get warm, just aren't recognized by the system (just?)