Amazon Prime deal - 8TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD for $320

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
You know, I just blindly assumed that even QLC nand would still be able to saturate a SATA interface (that's what I get for assuming). 160 MB/s sequential write? That's a mega oof. Looks like read/write IOPs remain a couple of orders of magnitude higher than rust, but the sequential write performance just might be a dealbreaker. Thanks for posting that!

Now I need to decide if that limitation is fine for a primarily write-once array or if the search continues for drives to replace my spinning array... Just feels bad to buy SSDs that are not any faster at sequential writes than my HDDs.

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
Now I need to decide if that limitation is fine for a primarily write-once array or if the search continues for drives to replace my spinning array... Just feels bad to buy SSDs that are not any faster at sequential writes than my HDDs.
Yeah, in that case it/they should perform really well then, with significantly lower power consumption too. As long as you're aware of the worst-case performance and your workload avoids it for the (vast) majority of the time then it's not a huge issue.

Reactions: Samir and lopgok

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
The 4TB TLC version is $169.99. Are TLC versions a bad idea for a homelab NAS? I know that there is no PLP, but any other drawbacks?

Reactions: Samir

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
IMO I'd rather get the 7.68TB enterprise-grade NVME drives off of ebay. Many of those have VERY low hours and i would expect that a low-hours enterprise grade drive would be far superior in reliability.

Though maybe the use-case for the samsung would be if you can only do SATA and nvme isn't an option.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
IMO I'd rather get the 7.68TB enterprise-grade NVME drives off of ebay. Many of those have VERY low hours and i would expect that a low-hours enterprise grade drive would be far superior in reliability.

Though maybe the use-case for the samsung would be if you can only do SATA and nvme isn't an option.
Any particular ones you'd recommend?

the NVME/SATA constraint is one reason why, the other is that I have a bunch of credit to use on Dell, and I can price match to Best Buy/Amazon, so I was considering the 870 EVOs. The other alternative is to get 8 of these, but that basically eats up all of my SATA ports.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago

Yeah, I'm definitely torn. The prices are pretty similar and obviously the performance of the U.2 drives is miles better. But since this is for a homelab I don't generally *need* that kind of throughput/IOPS. Given that my hyperconverged server is on 24/7, the lower power usage of the SATA drives is appealing too. Decisions decisions...

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Any particular ones you'd recommend?

the NVME/SATA constraint is one reason why, the other is that I have a bunch of credit to use on Dell, and I can price match to Best Buy/Amazon, so I was considering the 870 EVOs. The other alternative is to get 8 of these, but that basically eats up all of my SATA ports.
I see a WD SN640 for $370 with zero hours - I imagine that would blow any SATA drive out of the water. There are used PM983's on there for $300 from China if you're comfortable with that.

I'd recommend WD or Samsung I guess - it just depends on price and hours. A Hynix could be good too if it's low hours.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
ServerPartsDeals also has a set of deals on new Intel/Solidigm drives (4510 and 4610, SATA and U.2) that promise the full five-year warranty from Solidigm. They have a 4TB P4510 U.2 that undercuts the 4TB Samsung 870 drive by $15 or so. A bit more expensive than the 8TB models, still ($389 vs. $315) but you're getting a lot more performance for your money.

(Fair warning that the lowest power consumption you'll get with the U.2 drives is 5W idle, which is more than the 870 drives consume active. You're not quite getting performance for free.)

Edit: Per @idle_user there’s a new deal on the 4TB 870 Evo for $170, which is $30 cheaper than the U.2 offering. Less performance, of course, but at lower power consumption.

Last edited:

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
ServerPartsDeals also has a set of deals on new Intel/Solidigm drives (4510 and 4610, SATA and U.2) that promise the full five-year warranty from Solidigm. They have a 4TB P4510 U.2 that undercuts the 4TB Samsung 870 drive by $15 or so. A bit more expensive than the 8TB models, still ($389 vs. $315) but you're getting a lot more performance for your money.

(Fair warning that the lowest power consumption you'll get with the U.2 drives is 5W idle, which is more than the 870 drives consume active. You're not quite getting performance for free.)
yeah the power consumption is a bit too rich for me. So main drawbacks with 870 EVO TLC is:

1. no PLP
  2. Endurance is lower vs. enterprise.
  3. Once write cache is full it'll be throttled.
Am I missing anything?

CalidLore

Aug 19, 2022
What server could I get that could use nvme u.2 drives? Everything I found stops around 4 drives. with sata I can do a full 24.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
What server could I get that could use nvme u.2 drives? Everything I found stops around 4 drives. with sata I can do a full 24.
EZ-PZ.

Kidding aside, if I go for U.2 over the SATA drives here I intend to just mount them in my case like they were 2.5" SATA drives. I have HDD/SSD mounts right behind the front fans in my case so even though U.2 drives run hot they should (hopefully) get enough airflow.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Interesting to see this drive finally cheaper than what I got it for used a couple of years back.

josh

Oct 21, 2013

Those are slot heavy though. With the m2s you could stick 4 of them on a single x16 slot with the hyper m2 or just use regular 2.5" bays with the SATAs

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Those are slot heavy though. With the m2s you could stick 4 of them on a single x16 slot with the hyper m2 or just use regular 2.5" bays with the SATAs
That is true - you can physically jam more m.2's into a slot; however, you could conceivably get one of these ridiculous things to run enterprise drives:

It only does PCI-E 3.x but that's what most of the cheaper enterprise SSD's are anyway.

I'd had also wondered if the slot can provide enough power to run four drives at once under max load but it looks like there is a SATA power port on the back of the card.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
ServerPartsDeals also has a set of deals on new Intel/Solidigm drives (4510 and 4610, SATA and U.2) that promise the full five-year warranty from Solidigm. ...
Yes, that's what they say ...

Warranty5 Years Manufacturer

But, riddle me this: Do YOU really expect Solidgm to "honor" SrvPtDl's blather for an OEM'd part? (Many of those items are Dell or HP).

In addition, there's always a chance, or even a certainty, that the OEM drive will lack some functionality; and/or be locked to that OEM's firmware tree.

Buy with your eyes wide open ...

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'd had also wondered if the slot can provide enough power to run four drives at once under max load but it looks like there is a SATA power port on the back of the card.
I have 4x of these running and for full NVMe performance they need the extra power.