Amazon Prime deal - 8TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD for $320

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
That is true - you can physically jam more m.2's into a slot; however, you could conceivably get one of these ridiculous things to run enterprise drives:

It only does PCI-E 3.x but that's what most of the cheaper enterprise SSD's are anyway.

I'd had also wondered if the slot can provide enough power to run four drives at once under max load but it looks like there is a SATA power port on the back of the card.
this contraception looks very interesting. looks like it's just plug and play?

Reactions: Samir

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Plug and play if your motherboard supports 4x4x4x4 bifurcation of a x16 slot. If not you need an active adapter (and quite an expensive one at that).

You can get similar ones for 4x4 and 4x4x4x4 ones but let you cable the drives off the card.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Plug and play if your motherboard supports 4x4x4x4 bifurcation of a x16 slot. If not you need an active adapter (and quite an expensive one at that).

You can get similar ones for 4x4 and 4x4x4x4 ones but let you cable the drives off the card.
unable to visualize the dimensions but are you able to mount all 4 u2 drives on the card itself or do you need to cable them somewhere else?

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
unable to visualize the dimensions but are you able to mount all 4 u2 drives on the card itself or do you need to cable them somewhere else?
The linked card mounts 4 u.2 drives directly on the card itself, and so needs about the same amount of length as a good size gpu.

There are also inexpensive adapter cards that breakout pcie slots to SFF-8643 connections. Then you use SFF-8643 to u.2 cables, which aren't quite as inexpensive.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
The linked card mounts 4 u.2 drives directly on the card itself, and so needs about the same amount of length as a good size gpu.

There are also inexpensive adapter cards that breakout pcie slots to SFF-8643 connections. Then you use SFF-8643 to u.2 cables, which aren't quite as inexpensive.
My concern would be more about where the drives have to sit in the case if breakout cabling was necessary. But the good size GPU might be a problem.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
My concern would be more about where the drives have to sit in the case if breakout cabling was necessary. But the good size GPU might be a problem.
Back of the envelope math is that thing is a bit less than a foot long and would be about 1 slot wide, so it's not THAT big. My bigger concern would be heat. Given how much juice these things typically take when they're writing, you'd definitely need some decent airflow over the PCIE slots to keep 4 of them from burning up.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Back of the envelope math is that thing is a bit less than a foot long and would be about 1 slot wide, so it's not THAT big. My bigger concern would be heat. Given how much juice these things typically take when they're writing, you'd definitely need some decent airflow over the PCIE slots to keep 4 of them from burning up.
The heat was more what I was thinking about too, especially if you used more than one of these.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
The heat was more what I was thinking about too, especially if you used more than one of these.
Yeah, from testing the two Kingston U.2 drives I picked up I may need to consider stronger front fans in my case to keep them from throttling under sustained writes. Reads no problem, but these things get toasty under sustained write loads.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah, from testing the two Kingston U.2 drives I picked up I may need to consider stronger front fans in my case to keep them from throttling under sustained writes. Reads no problem, but these things get toasty under sustained write loads.
Or you could put smaller fans directly on them as that can serve the same purpose and be more quiet at the same time.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
One of the many reason Fractal's Define R5 (still available!) is a great home server chassis is that it lets you put a 140mm fan right over top of the PCIe slots. It's great for cooling 4x and 4x4 U.2 adapter cards, but I imagine it might struggle a bit with the 4x4x4x4 versions. I had a couple of HGST SN100 drives and it was able to keep those under control even under load.

• Love
Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

josh

Oct 21, 2013
One of the many reason Fractal's Define R5 (still available!) is a great home server chassis is that it lets you put a 140mm fan right over top of the PCIe slots. It's great for cooling 4x and 4x4 U.2 adapter cards, but I imagine it might struggle a bit with the 4x4x4x4 versions. I had a couple of HGST SN100 drives and it was able to keep those under control even under load.
Anything similar that will take a 3090/4090?