Affordable AMD vs Intel CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zerokwel

Oct 21, 2022
I’m looking for a newer affordable AMD or Intel CPU for a home server. While I see a lot of reviews and such for enthusiasts. It would be nice to see a review a guide some info on a practical “Server for The Home”

my personal use case needing help I have a huge server rack several Supermicro cases. I’m looking to build my own server keep the CPU in the thousand dollar range preferring to use SuperMicro motherboard.

I’m leaning towards Supermicro MB X12 with Xenon not sure what CPU to use for AMD

any ideas anyone that can point me in a certain direction would be most appreciated.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It's Impossible to recommend a CPU without knowing the possible User cases.

For my Homeserver i needed high clocks and a Lot of io in Form of pcie connectivity.
Epyc cpus meet my requirements for io and the 7443p met my requirement for high clocks -> so i got the 7443p

Edith: affordable to sth/Patrick is Something different than what IT IS to me or you

Zerokwel

Oct 21, 2022
Ah yes use case is needed and missing… I’m looking for a basic CPU to run Unraid Plex and small low use webpage. Wanting integrated graphics so I don’t have to fuss with a graphics card

I almost didn’t want to list the use case because every time I ask. I get well I’m using my daughters first Barbie laptop or a Rasperry Pi etc… since it can be done via bubble gum and duct tape anything more is a waste. I want to spend the money to do it right. I also don’t want to cancel my vacation plans just to afford it

Last edited:

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Seems like a solid case for an Asrock X570D4U, a 5700X, and 64GB of ECC UDIMMs. You can get a much cheaper board but the Asrock gives you guaranteed ECC support and IPMI, both of which are handy.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Plex with iGPU + a few VMs + low power is why they've got the TinyMiniMicro series. Buy one and add RAM to it and you're golden at <$600.

Reactions: Zerokwel

Zerokwel

Oct 21, 2022
There are no E5/E7 or Scalable Xeons with iGPU. If you want an X12 Xeon with iGPU, that's an E3 which is pretty much just a rebadged Core chip. Socket LGA3647 and 2066 are out.
Lots of abbreviations and assumptions it appears you misread my post. A Supermicro X12 series MB comes in many different variations to run a socket LGA-1200 H5 CPU. Which is a Xenon and can come with QuickSynch for graphics that can be used for Plex transcoding without a dedicated graphics card.

I really want to thank you for any assistance. But please be careful as me being such a noob abbreviations that a noob wouldn’t understand and not reading my post can lead me down a path of doom.

Reactions: RolloZ170