A reseller like GoHardDrive or ServerPartDeals in EU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cromo

Jun 6, 2019
I moved back to EU from the US and am in the market for some repurposed HDDs for my home RAID. Does anyone know of a similar reseller like the GoHardDrive or ServerPartDeals that sell used HDDs in EU, ideally with a warranty and some reputation?

For comparison, have a look at this offer:

HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB for USD 80. Hard to beat that price. And they offer their own 5 year warranty.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The reputable ones that always have stock, solid warranty etc will usualy not do below 50/100pcs to consumers.
Higher salaries and stricter consumer laws make single units far less attractive.

I do smart hands work for some DCs in this area and when ive been helping out pull storage in bulk we palletize it and whole containers shipped to us/asia.
Just not worth it to process it here, too expensive.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I moved back to EU from the US and am in the market for some repurposed HDDs for my home RAID. Does anyone know of a similar reseller like the GoHardDrive or ServerPartDeals that sell used HDDs in EU, ideally with a warranty and some reputation?
I think you're looking for a retailer that has a good reputation because those do not have one.

Reactions: T_Minus

bateman

May 2, 2023
Sweden

For comparison, have a look at this offer:

HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB for USD 80. Hard to beat that price. And they offer their own 5 year warranty.
I picked up some HGST 10TBs from ebay seller iuppiterbv. Shipped from netherlands.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
20% Rabatt.*
Code eingeben: PIO2001112023
Gültig bis: 01. Nov. 2023

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, I am aware of GoHardDrive having done that, but I am not aware of ServerPartDeals having bad reputation?
I’ve purchased probably 60 drives from SPD with no issues whatsoever. Could not more highly recommend

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Yes, I am aware of GoHardDrive having done that, but I am not aware of ServerPartDeals having bad reputation?
Years ago SPD, or maybe their Water Panther brand, had a problem where drives labeled new were actually refurbs.
I haven't seen any recent reports of such troubles though, they've been generally accurate with their listings (just pay attention because they can have 'new' and 'seller refurb' and 'manufacturer refurb' all on the same page, and the 'new' drives might not have a manufacturer warranty).

With gohharddrive, it's best to assume that any drive they sell is used and has been tested and wiped, including SMART data. And this is fine, just price it like a used drive with whatever seller warranty they have.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
I picked up some HGST 10TBs from ebay seller iuppiterbv. Shipped from netherlands.
Have also purchased multiple times from iuppiterbv. Nothing bad to say about them; they even answer messages on weekends. Their normal prices may not be the hottest but there are some really good deals to be made on their lot auctions.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Have also purchased multiple times from iuppiterbv. Nothing bad to say about them; they even answer messages on weekends. Their normal prices may not be the hottest but there are some really good deals to be made on their lot auctions.
Yeah i only look at their auctions, their other stuff seems like its not worth looking at.

Not a fan of their "We do not deduct VAT in any circumstance." policy tho, ive addressed this with ebay recently without a conclusion yet.
(Hopefully they dont have strikes already, otherwise my bad if they stop selling stuff i suppose)

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Not a fan of their "We do not deduct VAT in any circumstance." policy tho, ive addressed this with ebay recently without a conclusion yet.
(Hopefully they dont have strikes already, otherwise my bad if they stop selling stuff i suppose)
OTOH Interbolt seems to not want to sell on eBay unless you give them a VAT number. Some flexibility could be warranted on both sides here..

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
OTOH Interbolt seems to not want to sell on eBay unless you give them a VAT number. Some flexibility could be warranted on both sides here..
Ive tried with iuppiterbv and they have no flexibility.
So since their policy is in violation of ebay policy ive adressed it with them for an opinion.

They have some interesting auctions.
And especialy with how they will hold lots for 1-2weeks to let you win multiple and ship as one pallet, they do have a bit of potential.

But refusing to subtract the domestic VAT (that they do not pay for export sales) that just adds quiet a bit to the cost.
Since eBay charges my local VAT ontop of their VAT and i cant get the original VAT refunded.

stronthoop

Sep 24, 2020
I've tried iuppiter and visited their store in Rotterdam to pickup a 4 port 9305-16e 12G sas card. They have great discounts and great volumes too. Sign up for their newsletter or check out their ebay store. iuppiterbv | eBay-winkels

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
It's the same shady business model: they make their margin on deception - relabeling, SMART wiping, misrepresentation. But ignorance is bliss "well I got my drives and they seem to work knock on wood" so the cycle continues.

So don't think in terms of reputations - echo chambers and herdthink can be vastly wrong - but instead understand the business model and decide if you want to support it.

Reactions: homeserver78

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
It's the same shady business model: they make their margin on deception - relabeling, SMART wiping, misrepresentation. But ignorance is bliss "well I got my drives and they seem to work knock on wood" so the cycle continues.

So don't think in terms of reputations - echo chambers and herdthink can be vastly wrong - but instead understand the business model and decide if you want to support it.
do you need a hug?

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Be cautious of purchasing used drives from iuppiterbv. Their evaluation for SSDs is somehow flawed (or I'm ignorant and it's completely fine).
I purchased 8 pieces of PM863a drives with 70% - 79% health by their description.
That numbers are not wearout, but output from "Genesis", I have no idea what platform it is.
When I got drives and 3 of them had numerous uncorrectable errors.

But they were super nice and I could return the drives and got refunded.
My friend once purchased two dl380s and one of them arrived damaged of course. He got refund for one of them.

Reactions: cromo