EXPIRED 4TB HGST SAS Hard Drives - $8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you thought $6/TB was good, how about $2/TB?

Need to buy at least 4 to get them for $8 each. Shipping is extra, but is calculated and in bulk looks to be $3-4 per drive. Local pickup is an option before anyone says anything about the price being deceptive.

Reactions: Samir and scline

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Pretty good find since even at the $10+shipping price for one, it still runs under $6/TB for me.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I need to offload some 8TB drives, I hope I can get 6$ per TB from local market before prices crash further.

Reactions: Samir

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Every thing is getting more expensive recently. What happened?

Last summer I've bought the 12G version (HUS726040ALS210) from this seller. I paid $120 for 8 HDDs shipped!

I'm not looking for add more ram to my server and it's about 50% higher than few months ago!

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

Last summer I've bought the 12G version (HUS726040ALS210) from this seller. I paid $120 for 8 HDDs shipped!

I'm not looking for add more ram to my server and it's about 50% higher than few months ago!
Which memory is higher and where? AFAIS, rdimm prices are on freefall.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Which memory is higher and where? AFAIS, rdimm prices are on freefall.
Last year I bought a few 32G DDR4 2933 sticks around $30-35 each. HP LRDIMM 64G 2400 around $45 each. Now I cannot get 32G 2933 RDIMM below $40 and 2400 is either equal or above $1/G!

Beaflag VonRathburg

Dec 13, 2018

Technology at it's very core is a depreciating asset, there's always something newer and better coming out. On the other hand, every year there's increases for the cost of shipping from; USPS, Fedex, and UPS. eBay likes to constantly rake sellers over the coals and also raises their fees while doing as little as possible to maintain the site. March 15th, they raising the base fee from $0.30 to $0.40 for all items over the cost of $10. They cited their costs have increased and they need to pass those along to sellers all while they just raised their shareholder dividend. Those increased costs get passed along to buyers. Unfortunately, as much as ebay sellers may try not to pass that as there's a tipping point where you lose business, the constant margin compression can and will kill many of them eventually. Hence the reason most of the large tech sellers you see on this section are e-cycling companies that get the items for free and are even sometimes paid to pickup the items from businesses. These companies are just trying to dump the inventory as quickly as possible because if they sit on it for six months it will be worth less than it was now selling below market value. It's a constant race to the bottom and Joe blow that's trying to resell items or small businesses trying to compete online with large retail are getting slaughtered.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Technology at it's very core is a depreciating asset, there's always something newer and better coming out. On the other hand, every year there's increases for the cost of shipping from; USPS, Fedex, and UPS. eBay likes to constantly rake sellers over the coals and also raises their fees while doing as little as possible to maintain the site. March 15th, they raising the base fee from $0.30 to $0.40 for all items over the cost of $10. They cited their costs have increased and they need to pass those along to sellers all while they just raised their shareholder dividend. Those increased costs get past along to buyers. Unfortunately, as much as ebay sellers may try not to pass that as there's a tipping point where you lose business, the constant margin compression can and will kill many of them eventually. Hence the reason most of the large tech sellers you see on this section are e-cycling companies that get the items for free and are even sometimes paid to pickup the items from businesses. These companies are just trying to dump the inventory as quickly as possible because if they sit on it for six months it will be worth less than it was now selling below market value. It's a constant race to the bottom and Joe blow that's trying to resell items or small businesses trying to compete online with large retail is getting slaughtered.
More than just that too as excessive supply or not enough is a huge driver for price changes. Case in point is FBDIMMs for older servers. There was a point in time where you could get as many of these as you wanted for practically free. Now, because supply is far less, prices have steadily increased even though I'm sure demand has dropped dramatically.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
More than just that too as excessive supply or not enough is a huge driver for price changes. Case in point is FBDIMMs for older servers. There was a point in time where you could get as many of these as you wanted for practically free. Now, because supply is far less, prices have steadily increased even though I'm sure demand has dropped dramatically.
Exactly! Classic bathtub curve economics, things lose value due to age/features compared to new eventually bottoming out until it reaches "vintage" or "collector" status and suddenly rises again when nostalgia/emotions drive purchase decisions rather than functionality needs

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Exactly! Classic bathtub curve economics, things lose value due to age/features compared to new eventually bottoming out until it reaches "vintage" or "collector" status and suddenly rises again when nostalgia/emotions drive purchase decisions rather than functionality needs
I don't think there's much in terms of vintage/collector status for lga771 based servers, so I think that particular case is just simply so much less supply since it was all destroyed/trashed.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I don't think there's much in terms of vintage/collector status for lga771 based servers, so I think that particular case is just simply so much less supply since it was all destroyed/trashed.
Not yet, give it another 15-20 years. I'm starting to see 90s hardware selling for $$$ on vintage builds

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Not yet, give it another 15-20 years. I'm starting to see 90s hardware selling for $$$ on vintage builds
It always gets there at some point, but before that point there's a long time where it's just 'garbage', 'trash', etc. Who knew people cared about the C64 as much as I did? Or my Legos? Or my Hot Wheels? Or my GI Joes? Or my Air Jordans? Sometimes it just seems that if you just hold onto something long enough, lol. It's even worse with cars, btw.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
It always gets there at some point, but before that point there's a long time where it's just 'garbage', 'trash', etc. Who knew people cared about the C64 as much as I did? Or my Legos? Or my Hot Wheels? Or my GI Joes? Or my Air Jordans? Sometimes it just seems that if you just hold onto something long enough, lol. It's even worse with cars, btw.
Exactly, recently looked up some Transformer G1 toys from 80s and $$$, always thought they were mechanical marvels.
On of my favorite sayings, "the only difference between men and boys are the price of toys"

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I don't see LGA anything noticably increasing in value unless it's stupidly rare hardware like ASUS REXs. Pentium 4 and older hardware though... yeah, those are already increasing in value.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I guess I should have kept my first hard drive: 540MB IBM.

Talking about nostalgia; I also remember going to store with my dad to buy a Fireball. He was appalled how expensive it was and why I was so excited about it.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I wouldn't want to buy these drives because my electricity price is expensive.

But sometimes you just need a drive you can abuse, and these would be great. I used to have some of these and they were tough.

Too bad they're not SATA, it would increase their use cases.

Thinkcat

May 14, 2016
Too bad they're not SATA, it would increase their use cases.
How difficult or how expensive is it to suddenly add a few SAS drives? The price of the drives plus something. An used controller card and some new or used cables? What are the good, bad and affordable of these? Is it possble to boot off of a SAS drive?