EXPIRED 32GB ECC UDIMMS for $29/ea in the CDW Outlet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I placed 8 orders online between 3:20 and 3:30 PM CDT.
6 of them shipped yesterday evening, 1 of them shows backordered, and 1 of them has no status update. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
So the backordered and no status won't be shipping as picking probably didn't have any inventory when it came time to fulfill those orders. :( I would expect them to silently cancel in about a week.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
i should scrape the site monitoring for these precipitous price drops
You won't necessarily find them that way. These originally were $55+ and there were 200+ available. Inventory changes all the time too as there have been months with no memory in the outlet at all. It's always hit or miss, but sometimes the hit is worth all the misses (and mrs. for those of us that are married, hahaha).

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@Samir : I paid the full $28.99ea. The cheapest rate shipping was $7.75 each to California. As mentioned, only ordered two, so shipping wasn't too nuts, and I wasn't in a position to be on the phone with them. ;)

i should scrape the site monitoring for these precipitous price drops
The problem is, items drop in price incrementally over time. For an item that starts at less than $100 when it hits the outlet, it may only go down a couple bucks a week..for weeks and weeks and weeks. There's not usually some huge drop. There's folks (including a few on STH Forums...you know who you are) that keep a set of bookmarks just for CDW Outlet finds that they routinely click through once or twice a week to see where things stand, then buy when the price has fallen to their liking (or delete the bookmark if someone else found it to their liking first). I've almost never seen a listing for multiple items with as many in it as this one. Normally, its one item per listing. If they have 200 HDD to move, there's 200 separate listings. Crazy, right? But that's one of the reasons why things get overlooked/lost till the price is crazy low. But it takes time.

I normally don't have the need/cash to do that myself, but will be happy to leap on stuff when @Samir or others did the research/tracking for me and its a great deal :p

Reactions: Samir

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
@Samir : I paid the full $28.99ea. The cheapest rate shipping was $7.75 each to California. As mentioned, only ordered two, so shipping wasn't too nuts, and I wasn't in a position to be on the phone with them. ;)

The problem is, items drop in price incrementally over time. For an item that starts at less than $100 when it hits the outlet, it may only go down a couple bucks a week..for weeks and weeks and weeks. There's not usually some huge drop. There's folks (including a few on STH Forums...you know who you are) that keep a set of bookmarks just for CDW Outlet finds that they routinely click through once or twice a week to see where things stand, then buy when the price has fallen to their liking (or delete the bookmark if someone else found it to their liking first). I've almost never seen a listing for multiple items with as many in it as this one. Normally, its one item per listing. If they have 200 HDD to move, there's 200 separate listings. Crazy, right? But that's one of the reasons why things get overlooked/lost till the price is crazy low. But it takes time.

I normally don't have the need/cash to do that myself, but will be happy to leap on stuff when @Samir or others did the research/tracking for me and its a great deal :p

You have to track historical listing averages and compare. Would require a database.

Reactions: Markess and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
CDW Outlet posts "Outlet" stuff, in this case "Returned-Like New" memory, at a generally competitive price. Then every so often, the prices automatically go down, and keep going down until the item either sells or it gets moved out to a liquidator or other bulk sale method.

The fun? challenge? nail biting? nature of the format is, that once you find something you really want, you can keep checking back until the price drops low enough to be a really great value...or...someone else decides it was a great value a couple $ higher than you were hoping for and you lose out.

There's lots of stuff, usually single items, that can get overlooked for one reason or another until the price gets super low. A couple years ago when it was still a fairly new product, I found a "New in Box" Quadro P620 in the outlet when it was $119 and I eventually grabbed it a few weeks later for $57. Just had to be patient.

I bet @Samir has a lot of stories about finds there that he got at a great price...and probably even more that got away :p
Markess nailed it. :D

I think the best deal I've gotten has been on genuine APC UPS batteries for like $20/ea or the xerox color laser for $150. Oh, I forgot back in the day we got our watchguard M200 for $450 when the normal selling price was near $2k--that was the deal that really woke me up on the outlet even though we were buying from CDW regularly since the early 1990s. Some of our first APC UPS units are still running being fed by APC batteries from the outlet. :D

Oh and then there was the Apple pencil for $33 and genuine power supply for $25, neither of which even had the plastic taken off the items so they were brand new. :)

Some of the more killer deals are outside of my use-case or budget or both like $20k switches for $5k and full out 9kva UPS setups for <$2k. The outlet has been slim pickings since the start of covid and I think it will pretty much stay that way unless you're looking for a chromebook--there's always one in the outlet for like $40, lol.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I paid the listed price and like 20 for ground shipping. This was my first order with cdw. I need to get my account properly setup for the next time seal lol.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
There's folks (including a few on STH Forums...you know who you are) that keep a set of bookmarks just for CDW Outlet finds that they routinely click through once or twice a week to see where things stand, then buy when the price has fallen to their liking (or delete the bookmark if someone else found it to their liking first).:p
Yep, I have yet to set up a series of bookmarks or something like that to look at the deals, and I really only look when I'm either taking a break from work or so stressed out I can't do anything else. But I definitely can't take credit for this one as it was RobstarUSA's find. :)

Reactions: RobstarUSA

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I paid the listed price and like 20 for ground shipping. This was my first order with cdw. I need to get my account properly setup for the next time seal lol.
That's high for ground shipping for these guys although that's the usual price for other stuff. I wonder if the order agent made a mistake on the shipping? Of course, it also depends on where you are--I'm sure outside of the con48, it would be more.

Reactions: Almighty

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Oh, I forgot back in the day we got our watchguard M200 for $450 when the normal selling price was near $2k--that was the deal that really woke me up on the outlet even though we were buying from CDW regularly since the early 1990s.
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm pretty sure that the last item I bought from the regular CDW store was a 1.5 GIGAbyte Micropolis hard drive, for around $750 as I recall, back in the early 90s. Everything since then has been outlet.

Reactions: Almighty and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm pretty sure that the last item I bought from the regular CDW store was a 1.5 GIGAbyte Micropolis hard drive, for around $750 as I recall, back in the early 90s. Everything since then has been outlet.
Nice! We should still price check them, but for storage we found a company called Sound Electro Flight that was second to none. When we built our monster 486 and Cyrix builds, all the SCSI pretty much came from them--drives, controllers, custom scsi cables, terminators--the works.

Reactions: Markess

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Would be interesting to see your archive and how prices have changed due to covid.
Don't scrape the entirety of eBay. Just a few searches that are relevant to me. Do have every single Supermicro item for some time though. Honestly seldom look at it. It's just something I set up a long time ago and have running in a VM that I infrequently log into. Feel free to PM me about it if you'd like. Don't want to stray too much off topic in this thread.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hopefully you'll find that Intel's spec sheets weren't complete because 32GB UDIMMs just didn't exist and they'll actually work. :) I love it when that happens. :)
Wellll...I've got mixed results so far. BIOS reports 64GB of RAM with two sticks installed, but IPMI still shows the prior installed RAM (1 stick of 8GB Samsung). Resetting the BMC didn't change anything. So maybe its a BMC problem and not the RAM? I'll do more checkiing and try installing an OS over the weekend. So, maybe it will still work out.

Did you get it to run in your ec200a?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Wellll...I've got mixed results so far. BIOS reports 64GB of RAM with two sticks installed, but IPMI still shows the prior installed RAM (1 stick of 8GB Samsung). Resetting the BMC didn't change anything. So maybe its a BMC problem and not the RAM? I'll do more checkiing and try installing an OS over the weekend. So, maybe it will still work out.

Did you get it to run in your ec200a?
Yeah, almost sounds like a setting stuck in the BMC. If memtest clears the 64GB, then I'm sure that's what you actually have running. :)

Not. even. close. I'm in the middle of about 2.5x more than I can handle so sleeping and eating has been hard enough and unfortunately fun stuff has to take a back seat for a while.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yeah, almost sounds like a setting stuck in the BMC. If memtest clears the 64GB, then I'm sure that's what you actually have running. :)

Not. even. close. I'm in the middle of about 2.5x more than I can handle so sleeping and eating has been hard enough and unfortunately fun stuff has to take a back seat for a while.
Yeah, sometimes life really kicks you back. I only checked this RAM because I was really curious and had 5 min to spare. Memtest. Duh...hadn't thought to run that for some reason. Brilliant!

Hope you get a breather soon.

Last edited: