1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

apsbainc

Dec 13, 2020
Anyone know the depth dimension of the Supermicro 1u box this board typically comes in? Can't seem to locate the specs online, hoping it will fit a 600mm rack..

Enigma86

Oct 22, 2019
Nope the 10gb-t is integrated in the motherboard.

There is a pcie x16 slot so you could add a sfp nic... But the board doesn't make much sense if you don't want copper.
Thank you for the reply. So my background is a computer science degree and I work in cybersecurity, mainly more software oriented, and while I understand the specs of hardware I'm not super knowledgeable about what's out there. The reason I was looking at this was even if I get that and put a sfp+ nic is that I see nothing else for that price that gets me that kind of power for firewalling. Firewalls that would be anywhere near it seem to be 500+. I can build this exactly how I want it for about 300. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should look to satisfy what I was looking for but where it would make more sense? Just another 1u server with the same chip but a sfp+ nic? Definitely willing to build something out but haven't done any hardware modification before as far as cases and installation goes. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Enigma86

Oct 22, 2019
If you have no intention of utilizing the 6 x 10GbE NICs in this motherboard, it's a terrible choice. You can get far more compute power for less money and stick your NIC of choice in. Example: Supermicro CSE-815-5 X9SRW-F REV 1.02 1x E5-1620 @ 3.6GHz 16GB RAM 1x SAS NO HD | eBay
Awesome! Thanks! Quick question then... What is the main usage of the 6x10GbE? I guess I'm not seeing what makes this unit more valuable. Is it just having that level of accessablility directly on the unit without having to go to a switch? Also. When y'all are saying 10gbe, everything I saw shows those are 1000base-t? Or did I read that wrong? Each port is only gigabit?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Copper 10GbE is expensive, while SFP+ is not, hence the value. You would buy a 10GbE NIC for that system, or any other for that matter. The integrated NICs don't really matter when you can just put in an expansion card.

Kuz

Oct 7, 2016
Are either of the regular 1gb nics on board (addressable/usable) by a hypervisor? I tried ESXI and it doesn't see either. I assume 1 is management and I might have to adjust the bios to share that one but I was expecting the other to be a regular intel gigabit nic.

Thanks!

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
There is only one gigabit port. It's reserved for the aspeed bmc..

Then the 6 10g ports.

If there's another rj45... I don't know because I'm on my phone. But if so it would be a serial connection.

Kuz

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks! Are these boards picky with memory? I have tried a few sets of dimms and can only ever get the board to boot with 1 stick in it. Any dual channel and I get post code 55

Reactions: donedeal19

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I am running mine with four mismatched sodimm with dimm adapters. That is inherently a sketchy setup and sometimes has compatibility problems. A couple of sodiums wouldn't work, but I eventually found four that worked well together.

Kuz

Oct 7, 2016
Right on... now I am worried if I have a bad IMC or motherboard if that is the case. I have tried multiple sets and finally ordered a set right of their QVL for 8gb sticks to see if those change anything. If not then I must have something else causing the memory issue.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Last memory problem that almost beat me to death was caused by a bad CPU.

Kuz

Oct 7, 2016
Last memory problem that almost beat me to death was caused by a bad CPU.
Agreed... I have already spent more than I wanted to in order to get this running and don't have another cpu to test with... IF the QVL memory doesn't fix it then definitely going to have to find another lga1150 to find out if its the cpu.

Reactions: Fritz

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Cleaning the cpu contacts with alcohol is recommended first step for memory issues. It can be also bad motherboard. My board accepted ordinary DDR3 without any issue.

Reactions: RedX1

Kuz

Oct 7, 2016
Well I think its just a bad board/system I got. I have now tried 4 sets of memory including the brand/model direct from the QVL and two different cpus all with the exact same issue. Will not run with more than a single stick of memory in it. BIOS post code 55 after 4 beeps when trying two or more sticks of memory with either cpu.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
So has anyone tried this board with proxmox and GPU pass through? I've been trying to pass through both an integrated Intel GPU and also an old G-Force 610. I haven't had success with either, but I'm sort of a noob when it comes to proxmox.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I've done a fair bit of passthrough with Proxmox. (Started about 6 years ago. Variable success and problems.) Try this guide and if doesn't work post your issues. See if it's the board or the process.
Ultimate Beginners Guide to GPU Passthrough
oh yeah I had seem that same guide when googling.

So I followed that guide, even though my old GF610 card doesn't seem to have a UEFI bios. And after windows boots up the device just shows the classic "error 43" and isn't usable and doesn't display anything

I also tried setting up a different vm with the "legacy" SeaBIOS and non UEFI, and it still does a error 43.

in both cases I tried it where I still have the proxmox "default" novnc adapter installed, and one where I have it uninstalled, and the GPU set as primary and only adapter. error 43 in both cases.

also having trouble passing through the integrated intel p4600 graphics on the e3-1225 v3... it seems to show up in device manager, and doesn't have an error, but it doesn't appear usable as a gpu.

i guess my next step will be to try to patch the video cards bios to support UEFI. there's a tool called gopupd that might do it, but it doesn't seem to work in a virtualized environment so I'll have to relocate the video card to try it.

lemkeant

Jan 19, 2021
I had to register to chime in and say thanks to all in here. I grabbed one of these to learn Proxmox, and eventually migrate 3 VM's from Hyper V.

So far so good, but Proxmox is really unintuitive when I'm very used to Windows stuff. Quite the learning curve.

One thing I havent been able to do, probably because it's not possible, is pass one of the network adapters to a VM. They all seem to be tied together and if I pass, all 6 get passed? Because of the shared chip, does that mean it's impossible?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I wasted close to 3-4 days trying to make this motherboard work as a router + switch through windows/plex. It seems like creating a bridge in Plex without loosing the admin connection is very tricky and couldn't figure out how to do it after several attempts. I also read somewhere Plex is not an efficient router so I gave up on that path. I thought I could use Windows as router as it has cool features for remote access. Creating a bridge in Windows relatively straightforward but its performance is unbelievably bad so that didn't work also. I guess VYOS is the only option.

Can I host VYOS on hyper-v instead of Proxmox and get the same efficiency?

Does VYOS support bridging interfaces so I can have multiple connections to the server from the remaining 5 ports (1 port is used for WAN)?

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
One thing I havent been able to do, probably because it's not possible, is pass one of the network adapters to a VM. They all seem to be tied together and if I pass, all 6 get passed? Because of the shared chip, does that mean it's impossible?
I was able to pass through a "pair" (eno0 and eno1) of ethernet adapters to opnsense no problem. I don't remember if I Attempted to pass through one single jack or not.