14U Ikea closed server rack ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Excellent thread - thank you
Thanks!!

let me know, if you have questions...

my other project.
I am preparing to build another one by refusbishing my first V1 from non-short depth telcom 12U rack...
this time would take less time due on adding skin/exterior from Ikea again, and build another controller/mqtt with esp8266:D. this time should be WiFi connected.

I planned to create private Lan for my mqtt/automation :D.. due on simple troubleshooting..

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am still a huge fan of this build. Too bad I could only "like" it once.

Reactions: canta

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
@canta - couple questions please.

Did you research fans before selecting yours? A couple hours of researching suggests that the fans blowing on/through the servers would be better suited to be fans optimized for higher static pressure. Did you try different fans or just go with what you had or what was convenient?

Was your use of foam rather than other possibilities based on a preference or was it handy? I've been researching that and have been told that several alternatives like butyl and sheetrock have good sound dampening characteristics. Moreover, foam seems most appropriate for situations like a recording studio where echos need to be minimized as compared to contained spaces like this rack where it can be noisy inside as long as the noise does not get transmitted through the box walls. I'm not criticizing in saying this just trying to understand your design thoughts.

Are your fans all running at the same speed or do you have separate sensors driving separate fans? Also are you using a "standard" Arduino or Pi temperature sensor and controller or are you coding your own? It would be nice to use a prebaked solution if possible.

Thanks!
Dave

canta

Nov 26, 2014
@canta - couple questions please.

Did you research fans before selecting yours? A couple hours of researching suggests that the fans blowing on/through the servers would be better suited to be fans optimized for higher static pressure. Did you try different fans or just go with what you had or what was convenient?

Was your use of foam rather than other possibilities based on a preference or was it handy? I've been researching that and have been told that several alternatives like butyl and sheetrock have good sound dampening characteristics. Moreover, foam seems most appropriate for situations like a recording studio where echos need to be minimized as compared to contained spaces like this rack where it can be noisy inside as long as the noise does not get transmitted through the box walls. I'm not criticizing in saying this just trying to understand your design thoughts.

Are your fans all running at the same speed or do you have separate sensors driving separate fans? Also are you using a "standard" Arduino or Pi temperature sensor and controller or are you coding your own? It would be nice to use a prebaked solution if possible.

Thanks!
Dave
critics or something are welcome:. I am open on learning.

I did research on fans, delta fans is the beast!!. 3500RPM max and sounds like a jet engine :p, and has "high" static pressure too.
tried other desktop fans, blah... useless due on low static pressure, but low noise.

you need server PWM fans than runs 24/7 for years, an example: Delta FFB1212EH-PWM Case Fan - Newegg.com
the fan need 3-4A when full speed, you need a good powerbrick!! assuming 6 fans are running 24/7 in PWM mode.
you NEED to look the fan PDF spec to see PWM versus RPM chart . this is crucial to set what is "PWM duty cycle" to send, such as" sending 20% duty cycle would triggers 1000RPM...
this is needed in your code. you do not need to run full speed when not needed :p...

search on ebay for NEW discontinued delta fan, since seller would sell in negotiatable price. buy extra too as spares if needed.
but I trust delta fans, so I just bought 6 fans only:D.

not foam but sound dampen :), since sound dampen has good density to absorb and deflect.
get a good sound dampen too...
how do I know, I bough samples on ebay and pick the best one:D. yeah wasted abit $.
sound dampen is the cheapest solution :D, netshelter CX uses too ...
the ideal is to reduction of noise by canceling each other. this is simple and works

do not do sheetrock, sound dampen is more durable and flexible and cheap!.

sure is noisy, when you open the enclosure door :D.
close the door, and you would be surprised

if you need to learn, grab netshelter CX technical PDF that including internal and external measurement this will help you alot to understand how CX takes cold air and dump hot air with forced exhaust fan.
I started with CX' PDFs.

the HW design:
each fan can be controlled independently since the hardware has all fans I/O of PWM and RPM.
the first phase to set different PWM fans that based on temperature, but did not do something differently, yeah the code was getting complicated since each fans has own sub-function :| ,and triggered fan speed via PWM that based on front and back temperature sensors ( top and bottom)

I simplified to control only two section, 3 fans on top and 3 fans on lower postion. this reduced only 2 sub-function that work independently betweenn top and lower fans. not really actually... when either one top or lower fans is dead, I forced to run on full speed and tigger buzzer and mqtt alarm.
some function 40-50% in memory was for ethernet and MQTT functionality, I was good to compressed at the end to let 20% running RAM. yeah total RAM was 8K or 16K as I remember :p.

Iwas using opensource library, and did my magic to make it work.
there is nothing prebaked since no one care to build "grazy" cheap enclosure server rack haha..
the hard part to make PWM works on arduino. I used opensource library and reuse to make it worked on controlling PWM delta fans.
you can look on some company that has these controller, and "steal" generic tech detail for your purpose and calculation.

PWM controll fan speed for sure...

if you buy arduino cloned, make sure that buying from a good one since the quality of soldering among them are unpredictable. why? since you need 24/7 and cooling your precious $$$ server .

or, you can buy from official Arduino... this is up to you!!!

I did burn-test to get the best arduino clone. some boards were crappy that failed one week test.
my simple test was feeding fans speed with scripted PWM from my server. and let arduino to execute my mqtt command .

4 temperature sensors total:
front top sensor
front bottom sensor
back top sensor
back bottom sensor

2 humidity sensors total:
front sensor
back sensor.

the plan was to trigger humidifier/dehumdifier when below than 35% or higher 70%.
the code is implemented, the only not implemented is mqtt control humidity/dehumdifier :D.
low humidity mostly triggered multiple times during winter.

have fund

Leemur

Sep 30, 2013
Denmark
That looks awesome.

I am in the process of doing something similar and was wondering if you would share the code for the arduino, the schematics and a component list?

You also mentioned that you tried several sound dampers; what did you end up using?

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015

I did research on fans, delta fans is the beast!!. 3500RPM max and sounds like a jet engine :p, and has "high" static pressure too.
tried other desktop fans, blah... useless due on low static pressure, but low noise.

you need server PWM fans than runs 24/7 for years, an example: Delta FFB1212EH-PWM Case Fan - Newegg.com
the fan need 3-4A when full speed, you need a good powerbrick!! assuming 6 fans are running 24/7 in PWM mode.
you NEED to look the fan PDF spec to see PWM versus RPM chart . this is crucial to set what is "PWM duty cycle" to send, such as" sending 20% duty cycle would triggers 1000RPM...
this is needed in your code. you do not need to run full speed when not needed :p...

search on ebay for NEW discontinued delta fan, since seller would sell in negotiatable price. buy extra too as spares if needed.

not foam but sound dampen :), since sound dampen has good density to absorb and deflect.
how do I know, I bough samples on ebay and pick the best one:D. yeah wasted abit $.
the ideal is to reduction of noise by canceling each other. this is simple and works

if you need to learn, grab netshelter CX technical PDF that including internal and external measurement this will help you alot to understand how CX takes cold air and dump hot air with forced exhaust fan.
I started with CX' PDFs.

the HW design:
each fan can be controlled independently since the hardware has all fans I/O of PWM and RPM.
the first phase to set different PWM fans that based on temperature, but did not do something differently, yeah the code was getting complicated since each fans has own sub-function :| ,and triggered fan speed via PWM that based on front and back temperature sensors ( top and bottom)

I simplified to control only two section, 3 fans on top and 3 fans on lower postion. this reduced only 2 sub-function that work independently betweenn top and lower fans. not really actually... when either one top or lower fans is dead, I forced to run on full speed and tigger buzzer and mqtt alarm.
some function 40-50% in memory was for ethernet and MQTT functionality, I was good to compressed at the end to let 20% running RAM. yeah total RAM was 8K or 16K as I remember :p.

there is nothing prebaked since no one care to build "grazy" cheap enclosure server rack haha..
the hard part to make PWM works on arduino. I used opensource library and reuse to make it worked on controlling PWM delta fans.
you can look on some company that has these controller, and "steal" generic tech detail for your purpose and calculation.

if you buy arduino cloned, make sure that buying from a good one since the quality of soldering among them are unpredictable. why? since you need 24/7 and cooling your precious $$$ server .

I did burn-test to get the best arduino clone. some boards were crappy that failed one week test.
my simple test was feeding fans speed with scripted PWM from my server. and let arduino to execute my mqtt command .

front top sensor
front bottom sensor
back top sensor
back bottom sensor

front sensor
back sensor.

the plan was to trigger humidifier/dehumdifier when below than 35% or higher 70%.
the code is implemented, the only not implemented is mqtt control humidity/dehumdifier :D.

have fund
Great reply - thank you very much. I will report back on what I do, and will probably do a separate write-up on what I did and how I did it.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
That looks awesome.

I am in the process of doing something similar and was wondering if you would share the code for the arduino, the schematics and a component list?

You also mentioned that you tried several sound dampers; what did you end up using?
It would be great to have a shared code base for the monitoring system and for schematics/etc. I am doing a similar but not identical project and would gladly share my code and schematics.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015

I started with CX' PDFs.

the HW design:

front top sensor
front bottom sensor
back top sensor
back bottom sensor

front sensor
back sensor.

have fund
I'm giving the Delta fans a try - found a good source for them.

Also: can you tell me what brand of foam you are using. My research suggests that the noise deadening properties vary widely across brands.

Did you consider acoustic insulation boards like the Owens Corning model 703? Its specs (for the 2" thickness) suggest that it absorbs almost 100% of sound at all but the lowest frequencies.

I have looked at the Netshelter CX's documentation for reference - lots of good information there. Too bad they are so expensive but that's why we're having this DIY discussion.

Leemur

Sep 30, 2013
Denmark
It would be great to have a shared code base for the monitoring system and for schematics/etc. I am doing a similar but not identical project and would gladly share my code and schematics.
It would defiantly be good to learn from each other.
Maybe you should create a separate thread with your project?

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
It would defiantly be good to learn from each other.
Maybe you should create a separate thread with your project?
I suggested having a STH code repository to @Patrick via the "site suggestions" forum and will make my code available in some way to those that find this project interesting.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I'm giving the Delta fans a try - found a good source for them.

Also: can you tell me what brand of foam you are using. My research suggests that the noise deadening properties vary widely across brands.

Did you consider acoustic insulation boards like the Owens Corning model 703? Its specs (for the 2" thickness) suggest that it absorbs almost 100% of sound at all but the lowest frequencies.

I have looked at the Netshelter CX's documentation for reference - lots of good information there. Too bad they are so expensive but that's why we're having this DIY discussion.
yes, noise dampen products is hard to know. get the one has solid density.

No Idea on model 703. you can ask oun Audio forum since some may already use.
Do not worry much on what Freq that sound dampen would disperse. just get an average one without brake your pocket.

CX is good for references since you know on how the cooling and exhaust flow..

canta

Nov 26, 2014
my M4 msata that holding my source code got crapped out 3 weeks ago . what was a coincidence..

I am trying to know, if I still keep prototype source code that need tweak to make adjustment from my backup!

later!..

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
my M4 msata that holding my source code got crapped out 3 weeks ago . what was a coincidence..

I am trying to know, if I still keep prototype source code that need tweak to make adjustment from my backup!

later!..
I have source code that could be useful for such a project - not the same purpose as yours but similar - and would gladly share it with others once it is fully tested and deployed in use.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have source code that could be useful for such a project - not the same purpose as yours but similar - and would gladly share it with others once it is fully tested and deployed in use.
Please wait. Trying to revive my crucial m4.
Ordering msata to sata from china...assuming 2weeks delivery.

The worst case is pulling from not uptodate source code that I copied to backup server

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Oh yes will wait - I did not mean to suggest otherwise.
my Crucial M4 can not be revived. I have no idea to try another solution :(
The problem was: my 5 years old daughter did power off and on the laptop manually many times and rendered "access error" on sector 0 of M4. SSD is detected properly and smart data show good data with one exception on "IO access error " when using -a or -x flag.

I will pull the source code from my back-up server .
this version is not clean and need to tweak, but all the detail info is in the source code :D.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Yes, we had a flash drive go back recently also (without a backup). Does this mean you don't have a backup of your source code?

BTW, I have received the Delta fans and plan to start building the enclosure this week.