14U Ikea closed server rack ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Teddyboy

Dec 16, 2016
San Diego, CA
@canta

I found this rack on eBay: 15U 4 Post Open Frame Server Rack Enclosure 19" Adjustable Depth Aluminum | eBay

It looks very similar but to what you're using. I've asked the seller if the overall width is 21". If it is then I'm going to buy it. My server will be in a norco 4020 case that bought brand several years ago, and it's been sitting in storage ever since. It's a low power server mostly for serving up movies and music along with photo and file storage. I really like your build. The enclosure looks like a piece of furniture. Well done.

Update:
The seller responded back and stated that the overall rack width is 21", so it would work for this rack build.

Last edited:

tential

Jan 7, 2017
Do you mind going into more detail as to how you assembled your cabinet? I'm sure others are curious as well. I'm actually in the process of buying all the parts right now to do so.
Thanks!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Hi All,

just open my email and see some notification
still busy with my works for next release product, and alexa-wem0-hue-faux-wemo (at home, plus my growing kids 5 and 7 )

@tential
if you look my posted picture, and with a bit imagination, building is not hard.
assembling as someone said:
*) the cabinet is upside-down. Get your color preferences since you cam mix and match on ikea kitchen cabinet and door.
you need to make two cabinet into two, I use wood "connection" metal straps to make two into one long cabinet.
*) get the correct open-frame rack. DO measures and match with Ikea Kitchen cabinet width . THIS IS THE FIRST STEP
*) get a solid wood base fro open-frame rack, this is my suggestion since this base will naildown to ikea kitchen cabinet
*) get a solid roll-cart , get 4" diameter easily if you want to move this "Rack. UPS is the most heaviest one aka Dam* heavy with 8 batts!
how do I move mine easily?, removing battery tray :p
*) on the picture, you will see on how I nail-downed kitchen cabinet to open frame rack- basewood board. rule of thumb: do not worry on how many screws are total, make sure is solid and not sturdy! ( you can sit on the top for testing :D...)

canta

Nov 26, 2014
@canta

I found this rack on eBay: 15U 4 Post Open Frame Server Rack Enclosure 19" Adjustable Depth Aluminum | eBay

It looks very similar but to what you're using. I've asked the seller if the overall width is 21". If it is then I'm going to buy it. My server will be in a norco 4020 case that bought brand several years ago, and it's been sitting in storage ever since. It's a low power server mostly for serving up movies and music along with photo and file storage. I really like your build. The enclosure looks like a piece of furniture. Well done.

Update:
The seller responded back and stated that the overall rack width is 21", so it would work for this rack build.
ok, I assume you already got good answer from seller....

Have fun!!!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Yes, we had a flash drive go back recently also (without a backup). Does this mean you don't have a backup of your source code?

BTW, I have received the Delta fans and plan to start building the enclosure this week.
oops, sorry for a long delay :p

I have my old source code for arduino Mega 256.
Messy but the code is 80% identical with the newest one( lost due on failed ssd).

tential

Jan 7, 2017
Hi All,

just open my email and see some notification
still busy with my works for next release product, and alexa-wem0-hue-faux-wemo (at home, plus my growing kids 5 and 7 )

@tential
if you look my posted picture, and with a bit imagination, building is not hard.
assembling as someone said:
*) the cabinet is upside-down. Get your color preferences since you cam mix and match on ikea kitchen cabinet and door.
you need to make two cabinet into two, I use wood "connection" metal straps to make two into one long cabinet.
*) get the correct open-frame rack. DO measures and match with Ikea Kitchen cabinet width . THIS IS THE FIRST STEP
*) get a solid wood base fro open-frame rack, this is my suggestion since this base will naildown to ikea kitchen cabinet
*) get a solid roll-cart , get 4" diameter easily if you want to move this "Rack. UPS is the most heaviest one aka Dam* heavy with 8 batts!
how do I move mine easily?, removing battery tray [emoji14]
*) on the picture, you will see on how I nail-downed kitchen cabinet to open frame rack- basewood board. rule of thumb: do not worry on how many screws are total, make sure is solid and not sturdy! ( you can sit on the top for testing :D...)
Ugh I can't believe you responded and I somehow missed this.
I'm really bad at building I just follow instructions well so working with tools is a little daunting for me.

I got the cabinet assembled upside down and have my server rack assembled that fits.
The next part is the baseboard and securing it. I did some research and found the wood connection things you're talking talking.

I'm almost done it feels like. I am curious as to how you did the internal door cabinet as well.

For those of you who don't want to setup custom fans you can use ac infinity cooling products. That's what I'm planning on using since I didn't want to setup a custom pwm setup.

Thanks for the help!

Edit : my current plan is to line both sides of the baseboard with 2 by 4s that connect to the outside frame. That should secure the bottom to and the frame together. However, I may just use the metal strap connections that you have mentioned that actually looks simpler.

I'm hopefully going to finally complete this by the end of the month lol. Been sitting on all the parts for awhile. This was way more expensive than I had wanted it to be haha. Still definitely worth it once the finished product is done.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Ugh I can't believe you responded and I somehow missed this.
I'm really bad at building I just follow instructions well so working with tools is a little daunting for me.

I got the cabinet assembled upside down and have my server rack assembled that fits.
The next part is the baseboard and securing it. I did some research and found the wood connection things you're talking talking.

I'm almost done it feels like. I am curious as to how you did the internal door cabinet as well.

For those of you who don't want to setup custom fans you can use ac infinity cooling products. That's what I'm planning on using since I didn't want to setup a custom pwm setup.

Thanks for the help!

Edit : my current plan is to line both sides of the baseboard with 2 by 4s that connect to the outside frame. That should secure the bottom to and the frame together. However, I may just use the metal strap connections that you have mentioned that actually looks simpler.

I'm hopefully going to finally complete this by the end of the month lol. Been sitting on all the parts for awhile. This was way more expensive than I had wanted it to be haha. Still definitely worth it once the finished product is done.
on metal strap: Shop metal straps at Lowes.com: Search Results (select the sturdy one ).
upload_2017-6-7_15-4-14.png

on my understanding:
the most expensive one is "cooling system" :D. that was the reason to build mine.....

tential

Jan 7, 2017
I'm guessing I need clamps to hold the 2 cabinets together while I install the strap to hold it together?
Did you use any woodglue as well?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I'm guessing I need clamps to hold the 2 cabinets together while I install the strap to hold it together?
Did you use any woodglue as well?
I assume, you already figured out :)

on mine.
wood glue is useless .
had a helper to line up two cabinet together "upside-down" and, instal "I" metal plate "as many as I can".
when was done, I install open rack "upside-down" too.
the cabinets sat on the open rack.

Alex711

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks for the inspiration! I've started my build (only a single sektion cabinet with an extension off the top/front to fit my servers)

1.) How much noise do you figure yours has reduced roughly? (10% 20% 30%?)
2.) are your intake and exhaust inlet/outlets really just the skinny metal vents with oval cut outs that come with the sektion cabinet?

Attachments