14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

goodtwist

Aug 8, 2023
No, it doesn't say it doesn't work if your backplane does SATA or SAS it says it doesn't work for SATA because ... well it's a SAS drive ;) and it doesn't work with dual port SAS because it's a single port drive.

It will work with Supermicro backplanes which support SATA and SAS.

It won't work in a SATA only system, but if you're using that backplane for all SAS drives (or are comfortable mixing them) the drives WILL work.

It will also WORK with a dual port backplane, but you can't use both ports ;)
*Edit - Oh. I see.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You're kinda missing the concept of there not being such a thing as "no warranty". EU prices are also higher because tax (VAT) is always included in the price (and is higher than sales tax in the US).
Got it--so a warranty is always there. Makes sense then that they cost more.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Im in Norway that is a co-op state not full member, but the EU laws are getting fairly identical as they are tightening up (there can be diffrences between EU countries also).

For me as a consumer the most important parts domesticly here is
- 2year "reklamasjon" (basically warranty by law against who sold it)
- upped to 5years if meant to last longer than 2, almost everything electronic is in this (used remains at 2 still)
- Repair/replacement to be without cost for me (also included added costs, so if they replace a broken AM4 mobo with AM5 they have to replace cpu/ram to compatible ones also)
- "AS IS" does not exist unless its sold as parts/broken (even then if price is so high that it should have been working its voided, to prevent loophole)
- They can attempt 3 repairs of same problem before having to replace/refund
- Replacing an item resets the years and full rights again for the replacement
- Warranty void stickers are not valid
- Shucking does not void rights, but they can demand to get full product (external case also) back rather than just key component

Terms and years variate between countries, but in general they cant sell a used drive to consumers and not be liable.
Even if sold with no warranty they are still liable for repair/replacement for 1-3 years depending on country.
For new stuff its 2-7years they will be liable, and that is a exposure you dont want if selling whitelabels without the brand refunding you for that full timeframe.

Norway used to be strictest but there are others in EU that are stricter than us now.
For some highend stuff this really drives prices up, since store is liable for 5years while brand only say 2-3-4 years so store takes full bill beyond that.
Thank you for the terrific detail! Definitely sound like there's peace of mind when you buy something though. Here in the US it seems to be a race to the bottom in terms of warranty and support, although the prices reflect that too.

Reactions: gbeirn

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Is 520 byte sectors that bad for plain backups or is 512 superior?
ime, 520 byte sectors will cause some transfer speed issues when you use them with 512 byte systems, but there may be more issues I'm not aware of as I only used them in spare/boot scenarios where I wouldn't notice much.

The systems that use these drives use them for extra parity, but afaik there's no server/desktop equivalent use like that--it's either 512n, 512e, or 4kn sectors.

Reactions: e97 and EvoDyn

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Is 520 byte sectors that bad for plain backups or is 512 superior?
the real problem is that most operating systems (and sometimes raid controllers) won't even recognize the drives as usable until you use sg_format to reformat them as 512.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but some time ago I found this tutorial, which shows a method to deal with drives, on which sg_format failed Home

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but some time ago I found this tutorial, which shows a method to deal with drives, on which sg_format failed Home
Even if it does work the format time seems a little crazy? I do have some SSDs that refuse sg_utils, so I'll give this alternative a shot. But for spinners..

My 3TB drives took between 756-780 minutes!

Can you imagine a 14TB drive?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Even if it does work the format time seems a little crazy? I do have some SSDs that refuse sg_utils, so I'll give this alternative a shot. But for spinners..

My SAS 16TB EXOS took at a bit over 30 hours to reformat (block from 512 to 4096). fortunately I did them all in parallel.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023

True, but you do it once.

Breezy2428

Jul 30, 2023
Those drives are now bumped up in price. ~ $155 now.
Yikes! my x9 just got delivered today, original price.

Question, how do these serial numbers work? its alpha numeric, all I received are Y6GGxxxD

The "oldest" of the bunch was made Tuesday 8th June 2021, SN: Y6GGSK0D, the remaining 8 were made 2 days later Thursday June 10th,

Assuming its like hex we use numbers first then letters?

I immediately run into a problem, the next lowest is Y6GGNZRD

how can N be made after S?

I feel like a need to mail order a decoder ring.

I tried looking this up but all the resources point to a very different Western Digital serial number arrangement.

Drive Number​
Date​
SN​
WWN​
0​
06/08/21​
Y6GGSK0D​
5000CCA2AD1AD660​
1​
06/10/21​
Y6GGNZRD​
5000CCA2AD1AAFF8​
2​
06/10/21​
Y6GGRS0D​
5000CCA2AD1ACA44​
3​
06/10/21​
Y6GGU1UD​
5000CCA2AD1AED0C​
4​
06/10/21​
Y6GGULND​
5000CCA2AD1AF534​
5​
06/10/21​
Y6GGUVUD​
5000CCA2AD1AF928​
6​
06/10/21​
Y6GGV6ED​
5000CCA2AD1AFE4C​
7​
06/10/21​
Y6GGV7TD​
5000CCA2AD1AFEF4​
8​
06/10/21​
Y6GGVJAD​
5000CCA2AD1B0318​

PS interesting aside, as stated earlier these have no WD warranty, but the warranty checker does bring back some interesting info, I was hoping "Pikes peak Single port SAS" would lead to some info but google has never heard of it. seems like a particular edition, possibly a particular large customer.

Y6GGSK0DNO LIMITED WARRANTY0F31021LEE Drive ASM 14.0TB, 4Kn, SAS P3_PWDIS_Support, WD DCSPP JBOD -AA (Pikes peak Single port SAS), Secure Erase

Last edited:

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
HGST Ultrastar He12 HUH721212AL5204 0F29532 12TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 512e 256MB 3.5" SE Hard Drive

Any of you guys see anything wrong with that drive?
No. That's a decent drive. CMR. 5-year warranty new. Debuted in 2016, I believe.

Note this drive may also be labeled/sold as "Ultrastar DC HC520 SAS 512e SE"

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
Yikes! my x9 just got delivered today, original price.

Question, how do these serial numbers work? its alpha numeric, all I received are Y6GGxxxD

The "oldest" of the bunch was made Tuesday 8th June 2021, SN: Y6GGSK0D, the remaining 8 were made 2 days later Thursday June 10th,

Assuming its like hex we use numbers first then letters?

I immediately run into a problem, the next lowest is Y6GGNZRD

how can N be made after S?
Lots of reasons. That's just a 2 day difference. Parts availability. Location (different factory). etc.

I feel like a need to mail order a decoder ring.
Pretty much, yes. There are actually a few decoders out there, but they're only relevant for disk models sold during certain periods of time.

Western Digital has to be the absolute biggest PITA to decipher their product numbers. They've changed their nomenclature several times, so it takes some detective work (and frequently, an abundance of patience or deciding you don't really care that much).

0F31021 is a WD model number.

Several resellers indicate this is a WUH721414AL4204 drive, but take that with a grain of salt as some resellers don't know what they are doing and/or take a guess.

WD generally does not post those type of model numbers in their documentation anymore. Since they "improved" (/sarc) their website a few years ago, it's extremely difficult to trace a lot of these old product IDs/SKUs through official channels. This is one reason why I consider their product identification system to be byzantine. This gen of WD drives has numerous identifying schemas that WD created at various points in time, such as: Product ID, SKU, WD Model Number, HGST Model Number (the technology behind this drive originated with Hitachi). It's almost as if you'd think WD purposefully changes up their model numbering periodically in order to confuse people. It's like a shell game with many of their drives. Same device. Different ID or different name, etc.

The WD model number you referenced is a classic example of WD's data scrubbing. I was able to find only one official reference here, though it's barely mentioned.

Once upon a time, it was not too difficult to find the Regulatory Numbers, and that used to be one of the de facto best methods IMHO of confirming certain details about a drive. However, now due to IP theft and forging of those certs, most of the HDD manufacturers have removed them from publicly accessible servers.

Incidentally, WWN = "World Wide Name" which is just a fancy way of saying "unique identifier."

From one of their tech docs: "World Wide Name (WWN) — The World Wide Name (WWN) defined in ATA/ ATAPI-7 is a modification of the IEEE extended unique identifier 64 bit standard (EUI-64) and is comprised of three major components: naming authority, organizationally unique identifier (OUI) and serial number. Western Digital’s OUI is 0014EEh."