14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
200 available. Brand new. This seems like a steal to me. Cheaper than refurbs. Data center drives. Note, they are SAS.

Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC530 WUH721414AL4204 14TB 7.2K RPM Single Port SAS 12Gb/s 4Kn 3.5in Hard Drive

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
I don't understand your point. Spend +$10 more per drive??? It's likely the same seller. Purchasing directly from them is $135 per unit vs. $145 via Ebay. Shipping via their site is the same (free).

I saw their ebay listing, but posted this info because it's cheaper. Ironically, these new drives are also cheaper than refurbs. They are by far the cheapest 14 TB enterprise drives I've found that are new or manufacturer refurbished. 14 seems to be an uncommon size and cheaper $ per GB than most enterprise HDDs. I find it's been a sweet spot of "best bang for your buck" for some time.

Reactions: Samir

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Similar to 12T version they had several months ago. I have two of them running in my NAS for ~2 months, and other than warranty check at WD reporting them as OEM version, I've not had any problems with them so far.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I don't understand your point. Spend +$10 more per drive??? It's likely the same seller. Purchasing directly from them is $135 per unit vs. $145 via Ebay. Shipping via their site is the same (free).

I saw their ebay listing, but posted this info because it's cheaper. Ironically, these new drives are also cheaper than refurbs. They are by far the cheapest 14 TB enterprise drives I've found that are new or manufacturer refurbished. 14 seems to be an uncommon size and cheaper $ per GB than most enterprise HDDs. I find it's been a sweet spot of "best bang for your buck" for some time.
I don't understand your hostility.

Some people prefer to order from eBay b/c of their easy and mandatory return policy. With 4+ drives, that insurance comes out to around 5 bucks per drive. Also the info provided on the eBay page confirms that your link is legit (yes, it's the same seller) and that people are happy with their purchase.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I didn't intend to come across as hostile. I thought it was a valid question, as you posted a link but did not offer any context. That's why I asked.

With your explanation about some preferring to purchase on eBay, now I understand your position and why you posted the eBay link.
Understood- all good!

Reactions: Samir and PavelR

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
They also take offers on eBay. I don't know if that means they will accept anything below $135, but it's worth a try.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
With a 145$ list and quantity available id personally start at 110-115$ if buying a few drives.

jmsq

Dec 30, 2019
As someone who is unfamiliar with this seller, are these truly new drives with legit serial numbers and manufacturer warranty?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
As someone who is unfamiliar with this seller, are these truly new drives with legit serial numbers and manufacturer warranty?
There's no warranty through WD on these as they're OEM, not retail drives.

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
Some people prefer to order from eBay b/c of their easy and mandatory return policy. With 4+ drives, that insurance comes out to around 5 bucks per drive. Also the info provided on the eBay page confirms that your link is legit (yes, it's the same seller) and that people are happy with their purchase.
To follow up on this, for example, there are credit card programs which give cash back on ebay. capital one has 4% on spend for example, so it's a no-brainer for pure benefit.

I've ordered these drives, last time they were a bit lower. I've got no complaints. They were shipped in the nice square cut foam instead of bubble wrap. I like WP's shipping personally and haven't had a bad experience. YMMV with WP as a company though. Some people have had issues with the store/brand in the past if you search past posts.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Looking that that site, they have more drives for similar pricing like a slightly cheaper SATA version of the same disk. Even shipping to EU is relatively mild ($80) which is already worth the added import taxes as soon as you buy 2 drives or more.

I'm considering getting a few myself, maybe 4 or 5 for a RAIDz2.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Even shipping to EU is relatively mild ($80) which is already worth the added import taxes as soon as you buy 2 drives or more.
80$ for a few drives sounds fairly high imo.
Had 80x 3.5" drives arrive earlier in the week and each lot of 40 was less than that with ebay global shipping (US->Norway).

A shame there is almost no deals in Europe on spinners beyond UK or buying 100 minimum to get the refurbs at 5,5-6,5€/tb.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Similar to 12T version they had several months ago. I have two of them running in my NAS for ~2 months, and other than warranty check at WD reporting them as OEM version, I've not had any problems with them so far.
It is important to note about the warranty that it's usually 5yrs for this drive in retail form and that the warranty is only through the seller--hence why for some the ebay route is better since support for an issue might be better.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
It is important to note about the warranty that it's usually 5yrs for this drive in retail form and that the warranty is only through the seller--hence why for some the ebay route is better since support for an issue might be better.
For OEM/whitelabel drives that have no registered warranty with vendor or from small sellers, when you have a issue it can really be handy to have ebay as middleman.
So there in worst case is a party to deal with at all and get refunded from.

I suppose the weak consumer laws in US is a blessing for us all on drive prices tho.
That is the main reason almost nobody sell at those prices in Europe, too many countries that by law they have to replace/refund even a decade old spinner sold for 20€ if it stops working within 1-2-3years.

+ higher tech cost makes it cheaper overall to ship them to a lowcost region like Asia/US.