$127 Cisco ENCS5412/K9 Xeon-D 1557 (12 core), 32G ram

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
Any idea what the enp5s0 interface is? ethtool says something about Fiber.

Last edited:

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
passthrough 0000:0e:00 11ab:be00 to the VM

I don't see an 11ab:be00 is this just the rest of the address for the 0000:0e:00?
I'm getting an error "Service CPU not ready (requires reset?)" when I try to start the remote-bootd service.

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
passthrough 0000:0e:00 11ab:be00 to the VM

I don't see an 11ab:be00 is this just the rest of the address for the 0000:0e:00?
I'm getting an error "Service CPU not ready (requires reset?)" when I try to start the remote-bootd service.
11ab:be00 is the PCI vendor/device ID for the Marvell Ethernet switch. 0000:0e:00 is the PCI address, but I have seen this change after messing around in the BIOS.

If it gets far enough for the "Service CPU not ready" I typically have only seen that when the switch has already been bootstrapped. I have not yet found a way to reset the switch without power cycling the entire box.

Reactions: peramus

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
Ok that kind of makes sense. So once it IS bootstrapped I should be able to configure it via the Python scripts that yeyus posted to GIT. Now to figure out how to create a LAG with that.

obwielnls

Mar 26, 2024
I can't get the bmc out of band management working properly If i go into the config for it F8, it says I can use dedicated or shared and I can choose between GE0/0 or GE0/1 and it doesn't seem to matter what I pick. the nic never seems to come alive.

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
Should be the dedicated and then plug into "CIMC MGMT" I have had some issues when you unplug and plug in the CPU MGMT port causing issues with it. The shared option is supposed to use the GE ports but I'm not sure if it will work or not if you aren't using the NFVIS software. There is an extra interface that shows up under Proxmox that doesn't seem to have a physical presence on the box so that might be what the CIMC uses for the "shared" connection.

obwielnls

Mar 26, 2024
Well I just poped two hp sas disks in it and can't get them to show up . Swapped one for a regular ssd and it does work. The specs show this as working with SAS. any trick ?

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
Well I just poped two hp sas disks in it and can't get them to show up . Swapped one for a regular ssd and it does work. The specs show this as working with SAS. any trick ?
The onboard ports are connected to the PCH SATA controller. For SAS, you have to upgrade with their SAS RAID HBA that I have never seen in the wild.

yeyus

May 8, 2021
Anyone tried replacing the sata ssd with a bigger one? My ENCS doesn't see it when I replaced with a 480GB Micron sata m2 one

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
So after playing around for a few hours I was able to get Proxmox to output to the serial over LAN connection but not from the actual console port. It appears the serial over LAN port is ttyS0 but I can't seem to find what device is assigned to the console port on the chassis. But the basics were to add "console=ttyS0,9600" to the grub CMDLINE and then set GRUB_TERMINAL="serial console" and "update_grub" and then run "systemctl enable serial-getty@ttyS0.service" you'll have to reboot but then you should get full output to the serial console from "connect host" on the CIMC. I'm going to keep trying to figure out how to get the console port working but I don't see any other ttyS interfaces getting configured in dmesg.

Last edited:

Raspy_Pi

Jul 1, 2022
If you need to reset the CIMC password you can do the following:
Connect to the CIMC serial interface and boot up the system.
When it prompts, press *** press enter and run boot current recovery.
Once it reaches the login go ahead and login as root and run the following:
mount /dev/cydisk0a3 /mnt/jffs2
mv /mnt/jffs2/avct_ems_cfg/etc/userdb /mnt/jffs2/avct_ems_cfg/etc/userdb_old
umount /dev/cydisk0a3

Reboot the system and it will reset the credentials to default aka admin/password.

Last edited:

peramus

Mar 13, 2024
If you need to reset the CIMC password you can do the following:
Connect to the CIMC serial interface and boot up the system.
When it prompts, press *** press enter and run boot current recovery.
Once it reaches the login go ahead and login as root and run the following:
mount /dev/cydisk0a3 /mnt/jffs2
mv /mnt/jffs2/avct_ems_cfg/etc/userdb /mnt/jffs2/avct_ems_cfg/etc/userdb_old
umount /dev/cydisk0a3

Reboot the system and it will reset the credentials to default aka admin/password.
I'm keeping this one in the vault. I ended up finding another procedure that completely reset the CIMC (which was ok since I didn't know nor care what was in there anyway).

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I'm keeping this one in the vault. I ended up finding another procedure that completely reset the CIMC (which was ok since I didn't know nor care what was in there anyway).
What procedure was used for that? I installed Proxmox on one of my servers and went to CIMC to see if I can iKVM or such and learned I couldn't log in.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Great work in here. Just out of curiosity, what's the draw with these? something like an HP t740 with a 10gb NIC would draw half the power, have twice the single thread CPU processing power, and have twice the bandwidth than all the 1g ports on this thing combined. Is it just the challenge? I can definitely understand that :p