$127 Cisco ENCS5412/K9 Xeon-D 1557 (12 core), 32G ram

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yeyus

May 8, 2021
I just got a unit and I will start looking into the VLAN in-band management, if anyone has software for this unit would be extremely appreciated

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
Reactions: SadoKitten

ultrabay

Oct 8, 2017
Allegedly you can get updates if have you equipment with a current version has a severe enough CVE although it's a bit of a process and they'll only upgrade to the latest minor version that is serious CVEs.

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
That's good to know, the ones I have do contain some version of NFVIS but I'm unable to login to them as I don't know the password and haven't found any password reset documentation yet. Was going to do rd.break and reset the root password since it's running CentOS 7, but I can't edit the kernel command line because grub is password protected :/.

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
Going to try to PXE boot knoppix or some other live linux iso to mount and clear the grub password once I figure out which interface it uses for PXE.

ultrabay

Oct 8, 2017
Don't quote me on this but I think at least mine had a "factory reset" NFVIS saved on it somewhere.

You can pull the drive write the file system, it's a M.2 SATA. Probably 64GB.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
the drive in mine is an micron 5100 max 250GB SED m2 sata . There is a recovery built into the cent os boot, but its also password protected. I know you can wipe and load esxi but would rather use NFVIS

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
@ultrabay what is yours running now? esxi? how did you install something other than nfvis? I just got them so I haven't had the chance to search for any setup docs

ultrabay

Oct 8, 2017
I was fairly seamlessly able to install Ubuntu 22.04 off a flash drive onto a 2.5" drive. Extremely normal install procedure other than the one million PXE boot devices.

Also, the 2.5" drives seem to work fine as regular drives without the RAID controller, I assume that's just if you want hardware RAID. It takes Cisco UCS caddies if you need them.

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
@ultrabay ok so you just flashed a bootable image to a 2.5inch drive and booted off that. I guess that would be easier than trying to PXE. I don't have the caddies but I could probably finagle it in there.

ultrabay

Oct 8, 2017
It seems to be able to boot off anything exactly like a regular computer as long as you don't have the BIOS locked down. Mine was not.

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
So I was able to write a CentOS 7 live iso (using balenaEtcher) to a 2.5 inch ssd I had laying around using a usb to sata adapter. Since I don't have a caddy, I took the top cover off and aligned the drive with the sata port until it went in. It booted up without any issue. Did ctrl+alt+f1 to get a shell then logged as "liveuser" with no password.

I'm able to see the drive and mount the lvm partitions, nothing is encrypted.

sudo su -
mkdir /mnt/recover
mount /dev/mapper/vg_nfv-lv_root /mnt/recover

Last edited:

devz3ro

Nov 16, 2019
I'm in, was able to disable the grub password by doing the following:

sudo su -
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot
mv /mnt/boot/grub2/user.cfg /mnt/boot/grub2/user.cfg.orig

The password is hashed in that user.cfg file in /boot/grub2/user.cfg. Quick google search said to just rename it and if it doesn't find the file then no password is required. Tried it and now I'm allowed to edit the kernel menu to break into the actual os :).

Last edited: