Search results

1. C

Spice Server failure prevents auto-start of guest

This error is driving me nuts and I can't seem to figure out why it's failing. I've got a basic install of Debian Buster with qemu/libvirt and am utilizing Cockpit as the simple server mgmt UI. VM creation and everything works fine via Cockpit and even using the console within the web ui works...
  2. C

Re-thinking my ESXi homelab storage setup...but to what?

Much like when I was a kid and had random urges to switch up my room, I've suddenly had the desire to re-evaluate my storage setup on my homelab server and I'm wondering what I should really do based upon my use. I'll first start with the setup: E3-1230v5 32GB DDR4 RAM LSi 9211-8i in IT Mode...
  3. C

LSI 9211-8i IT Mode getting driver error and no drives are available CentOS

I seem to be having an intermittent problem (potentially related to an update although I cant figure out which one) with my recently purchased LSI 9211-8i. The card came pre-flashed into IT mode and after installing it in my ESXi 6.5 server and passing it through to my NAS install (I use...
  4. C

New Icy Dock 6 bay and not sure what HBA will be optimal

I've been lucky enough to obtain 6x800GB SSD drives which I will be adding to my ESXi home server but I'm a bit lost as to what add on card I should really get so that I can successfully pass through the card to a CentOS host running a BTRFS raid setup (which then hosts an NFS export for further...
  5. C

Hyper-V events showing up in Event Viewer but Hyper-V role/features not installed...huh?

So while doing some troubleshooting of my Windows 10 host I noticed that a process in task manager -- VMMEM -- that was eating up about 1GB of RAM at login for a little while and then it seems to disappear. After some quick Googling it seems that the VMMEM process is related to Hyper-V...
  6. C

PSU calculators accurate?

I have a mini itx build with a Ryzen 5 1600, 2x8gb DDR4, 2xSSDs, and currently a GTX 970 all on a 450w SFX PSU. I just managed to snag a GTX 1080 (for MSRP!) and while it appears based on all the PSU calculators out there I've got plenty of power headroom, I wanted to get a more experienced...
  7. C

As a new guy in this world I don't understand these insane swings

A couple of weeks ago the news about Korea banning crypto-currency seemed to cause a downward spiral for several days but things bounced back relatively quick. Today or at least the last 24 hours it seems just about everything is down by a notable percentage. This is again because Korea...
  8. C

Do ya'll use public nodes for Aeon wallet?

Just wanted to check as Im setting up my machine to get into the STH pool but didn't know if using a public node presented any risks/issues. Thanks!
  9. C

GPU mining in an ESXi VM w/ pass thru?

I decided to just fire up ccminer on my Windows 10 machine with a 1050ti passed through and at first it seemed to be working ok but it ended up error'ing out after about 15 minutes due to a memory error. I played with the intensity levels and still no luck. Within 15 minutes or so it fails. I...
  10. C

Very curious but overwhelmed...should I get into all the crypto currency fun?

So with all the talk about crypto currency and hearing my colleagues and even vendors I work with talk about their "profit" after getting into mining, I can't deny that it all sounds extremely enticing. However, the more I look into it the more confused and overwhelmed I get. Also looking at...
  11. C

H730 mini RAID 10 online expansion...anyone successfully done this?

So I have a new R730xd with 15 x 1.6TB SSD's and a H730 mini PERC card and Im planning on running RAID10 for my array but before I committed I wanted to be sure that I am able to perform an expansion of the array without having to fully reset the entire configuration (and there-by requiring me...
  12. C

When doing GPU passthrough, is an EFI VM better performing than a BIOS based VM?

I've never really bothered with messing with too many of the settings when creating a VM in my ESXi 6 server but while browsing through a post the other day on Reddit (not sure if it was Homelab or the Nvidia subs) I saw a discussion regarding someones experience with GPU passthrough on ESXi...
  13. C

Replacement for cloud backup?

With Crash plan moving away from consumers I wanted to see what cost effective options people are entertaining for their cloud storage/backup options? Yes I have the option to be grandfathered in to a relatively cheap Crash plan option but I'd still like to pursue options. I have about 100Gb...
  14. C

FS: Gigabyte MX31-BS0 LGA1151 C232 motherboard

Title says it all. I initially purchased this as I wanted a smaller build but then quickly realized I needed something with more room. This was powered on with a Xeon E3 for maybe a few days at max so its just about barely used. Looking for $175 shipped to anywhere in the continental US...
  15. C

Small and Silent PFSENSE build recommendations

I've had my Ubiquiti ER-X for quite a while now and while I really like its price point and general ease of use, I'm looking to get back into pfSense for something that really provides me with a bit more customizability and power when it comes to my primary home routing device. That being...
  16. C

Does anyone use Kubernetes for their docker homelab setup?

Im managing my docker environment via the command line and while it works absolutely fine and has taught me alot, I feel like a more robust orchestration engine would be fun to try. However Portainer seems to be the only one best suited for small deployments and I know in the past I had been...
  17. C

Sufficient build for what I want to virtualize?

First, my current build: SuperMicro X11SAE-F Xeon E3-1230v5 32GB DDR4 2 x 480GB SSDs 2 x 3TB HDD (RDM'ed to a NAS VM) 2 x 2TB HDD (RDM'ed to a NAS VM) Current VMs: Windows 10 Ent 4 core 8GB RAM 120GB VMDK on the SSD 500GB VMDK on NFS datastore (see below) GTX 970 passed thru USB Controller...
  18. C

I cant seem to wrap my head around volumes vs binding a path on the host to a container in Docker

I've only been seriously looking into docker for the last few weeks or so but I'm really enjoying learning about all its capabilities. However, one thing I'm still having trouble understanding is the actual use-cases for using a mapped location on the host vs just using a volume. Volumes...
  19. C

Is augmenting my existing setup with a SAN build a good idea?

Im currently running an 'all-in-one' ESXi 6.5 build where my storage tier is a quasi-san but all built into the existing host. The VM root file-system is a VMDK housed on one of the SSD datastores and then I have 4 HDD's passed through to the NAS OS via RDM. The HDDs are setup as a RAID10...
  20. C

Homelab SIEM recommendations?

Hey all - just wanted to see what any more security minded folks are using to monitor their home network from a SIEM perspective. There are a few opensource/freemium options out there and I wanted to get opinions on what folks have had extreme success with. My plan is to build something that...